News:

• March 28, 2024, 01:11:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: D Day.  (Read 1140 times)

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
D Day.
« on: June 05, 2022, 10:23:28 AM »
I just checked 4 calendars and it's not listed. I guess it just don't matter any more.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: D Day.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2022, 06:56:33 PM »
In my old age I don't remember D-Day being celebrated or honored. D>K

Did a search for D-Day.   It was June 6, 1944.  Also there is a site for the D-Day Memorial.  But no dates mentioned for honoring it. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Joe Gilbert

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2022, 07:59:08 PM »
Perry when Colleen were in France in 2011 that have not forgot in southern France. There was celebrations in the small towns.
Joe Gilbert

Offline Gordon Van Tighem

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2022, 10:04:19 PM »
Can’t ever forget, it’s my wedding anniversary. (and my father in law stormed the beaches)
Gord
Gord VT
MAAC 3738L, Life Member
AMA C3738L

Offline Joe Daniels

• 24 supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2022, 01:50:51 PM »
Hi Guys,

Every year in August there is a massive re-enactment of the D-Day invasion in Conneaut OH on the shore of Lake Erie. That's on the northeastern edge of Ohio, very close
to my home in Erie PA. So we pack up the family and spend the day there. All day long you can tour Allied and German encampments, interact with the soldiers and get to see a huge amount of period gear and vehicles. the day culminates with an invasion reenactment. Land, sea and air invasion is represented. Apparently, the Ohio stretch of coast mimics the Normandy beaches well. Quite a spectacle, and very moving. My son is a history teacher and looks forward to bringing his kids ( my two grandsons ) every year. We both believe in never forgetting the sacrifices that were made. Thanks for remembering on June 6. Look the event up at ddayohio.us

Joe Daniels

P.S. Operation Overlord is noted on my Ghosts warbird calendar

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2022, 04:36:23 PM »
I just checked 4 calendars and it's not listed. I guess it just don't matter any more.

My guess is that those calendars were either printed in China, or printed by a certain faction that doesn't want us to remember history...and the price our country has paid over the years...to ensure that we didn't have to speak German, Japanese, Chinese, or Russian. You probably won't find any calendars showing anything happening on August 6, 9, or 15, either.  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2022, 04:51:06 PM »
Why don't they celebrate on the actual D-Day invasion? ???
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Teodorico Terry

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2022, 06:33:54 PM »
Not everything has to be political.  I have never seen any of the "letter" days from WWII (D-day, V-E day and V-J day) marked in a calendar ever; maybe I am not old enough having only been born in the 60's but not having it noted on a calendar its does not mean that it is not remembered. There are also other dates which are as important as well, Midway just had its 80th anniversary; true to his own prediction Yamamoto only ran wild for 6 months, after that, things became difficult for Japan. The landings in Africa and Italy were also important but no one is making a fuss over those and like those there are many other important dates related to WWII add WWI, Korea, Vietnam, etc. I am sure you would probably have multiple events each day of the calendar.  The point is, those of us who know will remember and if you are disappointed in the current generation for now knowing it is because we did not teach them well.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2022, 12:08:13 AM »

Offline John Park

• Agricola
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2022, 04:26:22 AM »
Perry when Colleen were in France in 2011 that have not forgot in southern France. There was celebrations in the small towns.
What they presumably haven't forgotten in Southern France is the almost completely bloodless 'invasion' of the Mediterrsnean coast by American troops.  I believe the German forces had almost all been withdrawn to the north, and the landings were as near unopposed as makes no difference - to the immense relief of the local inhabitants, who were spared the sort of things their countryfolk had to suffer in Normandy.  That's certainly something I'd want to celebrate!
You want to make 'em nice, else you get mad lookin' at 'em!

Teodorico Terry

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2022, 07:08:33 AM »
Cool letter.  The genesis of the destroyer was actually the torpedo boat; it did not become the premier antisubmarine until a little later.

A friend of my parents was born in France and lived in Normandy when the landings took place.  He was a young boy at the and did not remember much about the war; however, he does remember the softening up period that preceded the landings. In essence, they became homeless as a result and used to joke about their lack of bombing accuracy.  I was surprised to see him make light of the situation while not showing any resentment.

Another friend of theirs was a RCAF pilot who actually flew bombing missions at the start of the war. Not sure what he flew, maybe Wellingtons or one of other early types.  At any rate, later in the war he became an instructor pilot and he mentioned that the training flights could be more hazardous than the actual missions (mostly flown at night).  I was too young at the time to ask him any intelligent questions; I am pretty sure that he would have had some interesting stories to tell.

Offline John Gluth

• Ensign
  • Knight 1992
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2022, 01:40:56 PM »
435 views. My VFW calendar recognizes D-Day Allied Invasion 1944. Thank you for all the posts honoring and remembering D-day along with Veteran’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Flag Day, V-E Day, and Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day! Very encouraging, while America still has appreciation days and commemorative holidays.
  Remembering and teaching the reasons good men made sacrifices is vital.
Good answers come only from asking the right questions.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2022, 02:42:43 PM »
My father was on a mine sweeper at Normandy.   His brother was on loan from Patton and went ashore as a tank squadron commander.  He later rejoined Patton as his procurement officer.   Neither one of them talked about the war but we did get some salty "procurement" stories as kids.   Third brother flew B-24's out of Libya and Italy.  All three came home un-injured, physically.

My father kept so quiet that I didn't find out anything until he had passed.  His military records were a complete surprise. From what others in my generation (first round baby boomers) tell me, their fathers were no different.  It must have been Hell. 

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline John Gluth

• Ensign
  • Knight 1992
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2022, 04:36:13 PM »
My father kept so quiet that I didn't find out anything until he had passed.  His military records were a complete surprise. From what others in my generation (first round baby boomers) tell me, their fathers were no different.  It must have been Hell. 

Ken
[/quote]

Yes hell, here is documentation to the hell war is. Eugene B. Sledge from his published book, With The Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa. Based upon his diary written on margins of the pages in his bible while fighting during the Pacific Theater:
   “In writing I am fulfilling an obligation I have long felt to my comrades in the 1st Marine Division, all of whom suffered so much for our country. None came out unscathed. Many gave their lives, many their health, and some their sanity. All who survived will long remember the horror they would rather forget. But they suffered and they did their duty so a sheltered homeland can enjoy the peace that was purchased at such a high cost. We owe those Marines a profound debt of gratitude.” – E B Sledge

‘We owe the same gratitude to the late E. B. Sledge. He reminds us in “sheltered homeland” that America is never immune from the “insanity” of war. So he brings alive again the names, faces, and thoughts of those who left us at Okinawa and Peleliu, but who passed-on what we must bequeath to others to follow.’ – Victor Davis Hanson

For America’s sake, those were only two fronts of sacrifice paid by good young men for you and I. D-Day was as bad or worse. In the 30 years involving WW I and WW II, 38 million lives were lost, mostly civilians. Let us never forget.

To me it is a matter of Posterity, John Gluth

Good answers come only from asking the right questions.

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2022, 05:03:26 PM »
My dad was captured in the Battle of the Bulge (106th Div.).  That was December.  He was liberated by Russians from Stalag 9B, Bad Orb in April the next year.  He went to war with nearly coal black hair and came home still 18 years old with snow white hair.  He never said much about his experience until pretty late in life when he had to make a report to the DAV for a benefits application after he retired early from poor health.  For some years after coming home any noise at night would find him under the bed shaking.  It had to be that those who really faced the horror of war only wish to put it behind them.  He now rests in Leavenworth National Cemetery with many of his brothers.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline John Park

• Agricola
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2022, 05:58:42 AM »
Cool letter.  The genesis of the destroyer was actually the torpedo boat; it did not become the premier antisubmarine until a little later.
Interestingly enough, the name 'destroyer' was an abbreviation of its proper, somewhat long-winded name: 'Torpedo Boat Destroyer', their job being to destroy torpedo boats.  In WW1, the Royal Navy commonly referred to them as 'TBDs'.
You want to make 'em nice, else you get mad lookin' at 'em!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2022, 11:28:28 AM »
After reading this again it just dawned on me about my Father -in Law.  I knew him from working at a service station several years before I knew/met my wife.  She said her Mother wanted to meet me so we went in side and there he set in his easy chair.  Joseph Long who when he drove in for service at the station we were told not to bother him while he did his own servicing of the furniture store he worked at.  He was a very quiet man and loved to camp and fish.  He had an accident at work that started his down hill travel to the better place with the LORD.  That was when Mother told me he had served under Patton in the war.    :(
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2022, 12:03:03 PM »
Hat's off to the D day vets and all warriors. I have such respect for all of those that served in WW2. My father was secretly stationed on Tinian in the Mariana Islands where they were preparing the "bomb" to drop on Japan. My mother and his family thought he was killed after no communication was allowed during his time there. My father in law and a good friend Bob Craft who taught me to fly control line were both in the Normandy landing. My wife's father lost a leg in the war. I never heard one of them including my dad ever describe their experiences except for Bob after I reconnected with him 50 years later. He recently passed at 95 and said he was proud to have served, that was all he would say. Back in their day there was no treatment for PTSD, depression or the ills that coincided; I suspect they were numbed from their experiences and tried to suppress it from their lives. Today we are taught to talk about it and boy do we ever.

Steve

Teodorico Terry

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2022, 05:49:41 PM »
Neat stories.  Learned a thing or two.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here