News:

• April 25, 2024, 05:00:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Custom T-shirts?  (Read 3367 times)

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Custom T-shirts?
« on: July 18, 2019, 09:30:30 AM »
I want to make a few custom t-shirts. The easiest method would be heat transfer sheets printed on either a laser or inkjet printer. The reviews I have seen say that most of the brands don't wear well and fail in washing.

Do anyone of you out there have a brand that you can recommend?  ???  H^^
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Custom T-shirts?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 06:51:11 PM »
I have a really strange problem! I have an HP J4550 inkjet printer. When I try to print out my artwork, it generates an extra miniature image of the art superimposed on the desired art.  The same file prints perfectly on my Laser printer.

See the attached to observe the problem.

I just reinstalled the software, so it is current.

Ideas???

DesignMan

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 08:10:36 PM »
  Hi Larry;
    I just so happen to have been working in this kind of business for the last couple of years. I work on embroidery machines mostly, but we do some screen printing, but mostly do what is called sublimation printing. It is different from the typical heat transfer stuff in that the design is printed in reverse on a special paper, and then is pressed onto the fabric with a high pressure heat press, and the ink transfers from the paper to the material. It can turn a lily white scarf into a single other color or one using every color in the spectrum. It's kind of the latest thing in this sort of stuff. Since I got into this business, I have heard of smaller mom and pop shops doing small jobs and low volume work. You may want to look into that process and shops that do that kind of work. We even do combinations where part of a design is sublimated onto material for an emblem or patch, and other detail is then CNC embroidered to finish it. See what this information can turn up for you. Out your way, there may be a whole cottage industry in this sort of thing and may be well worth it to have someone else do it.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 08:50:00 PM »

You might consider checking with customink.com. I used them for a small custom job about a year ago (6 shirts) and was very happy with the quality of the shirts, printing, prices, and quick service.

Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 01:04:29 AM »
For shirt quality the GIL-DAN labeled shirts are far better than any of the others.  They typically out last any of the others about 6 to 1.

They also seem to to be far more comfortable to wear than any of the other stuff!

Randy Cuberly

ran
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Chris Sarnowski

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 11:41:39 AM »
I used Zazzle.com to make some shirts a while ago (more than 5 years). Still have the shirts and they are holding up well.

They have a 20% discount code JULYSHOPPINZ but the price now for the shirts that I did would be $23.95 before discount.

There are probably other good sites too like CafePress.

-Chris

Ps. Forgot to mention that you upload your color image to them and they print it on. The shirt I did had the picture on the back and some lettering where the front pocket would be.

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2019, 02:33:50 PM »
I wear tee shirts almost everyday and and have a load of them. I see three brands that stand out for durability. Best is who ever mfgs for Guy Harvey fishing tee shirts. They don't show who makes them but those last longer than any others by a large margin. For me, Haines Beefy Tees are in 2nd place and GilDan in 3rd. My daughter used to travel for Ford Motor Co for publicity events. They used screened GilDans for high end promotions and some no name brands for giving away at races.
Bill P.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2019, 08:56:35 PM »
Lots of information, but no answers to my questions.  HB~>

DesignMan

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2019, 07:20:28 AM »
Sorry about that. Your question was vague to me and I didn't know there is a "brand" of transfer process...or whatever you are asking about.
Bill P.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2019, 06:00:07 AM »
There are at least a half dozen brands of image transfer papers. I am asking if anyone has experience with them and whether one stands out as superior.

DesignMan

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2019, 06:44:10 PM »
Related question:

Will a Monokote iron get hot enough to activate the transfer process?

And an interesting thought, I bet you could do some pretty nifty art on raw silk before covering and clear doping.

Or on silkspan or doctor paper before an SLC overlay. Polyspan, unfortunately would shrink and distort.

DesignMan

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2019, 07:37:54 PM »
  Hi Larry;
    It's not only about enough heat, but it's also about pressure. Those booths at the airshows and such that make shirts to order have a heat press for one off shirts, and it takes a lot of heat and a lot of pressure. I don't think you could lean on a monokote iron hard enough  to make it happen. and it has to happen over the entire design at the same temp and pressure.
    If you have a design in mind, you can get textile air brush ink and airbrush your design. Then you just iron it to seal it after it drys.
   Good luck with the project,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2019, 06:35:53 PM »
The design is too detailed an my skills too feeble to ever consider airbrushing. We are talking photo reproduction.

Again I repeat that readily available amateur transfer paper is what is needed. The only question is what brand works best. Sure there are professional processes that would be superior, but off the shelf stuff should be good enough. My local printing expert can do a superb job for only $25 per shirt. I can buy shirts for $4 an iron on an image for under $2. With only 4 shirts needed the path is elementary my dear Watson. (Actually, Holmes NEVER said that. I just reread the whole set of stories).   S?P

DesignMan

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2019, 09:21:05 PM »
The Avery brand tee shirt transfer worked well for me before. It will fade a bit over time. Just follow the directions and it'll do.
https://www.officedepot.com/catalog/search.do;jsessionid=0000BE3zn2TUXiKgjctAxuonfdA:17h4h7d2r?Ntt=tee+shirt+transfer+paper&searchSuggestion=true
Shug
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2019, 10:47:26 PM »
The design is too detailed an my skills too feeble to ever consider airbrushing. We are talking photo reproduction.

Again I repeat that readily available amateur transfer paper is what is needed. The only question is what brand works best. Sure there are professional processes that would be superior, but off the shelf stuff should be good enough. My local printing expert can do a superb job for only $25 per shirt. I can buy shirts for $4 an iron on an image for under $2. With only 4 shirts needed the path is elementary my dear Watson. (Actually, Holmes NEVER said that. I just reread the whole set of stories).   S?P

I don't know what paper they use at work, and have no home experience with it. What I am cautioning is that the ink is important, and question that common ink jet ink will heat transfer. I have never heard of that, unless you have some textile, heat transfer ink cartridges or something. The ink has to return to liquid form, more or less, and the paper just has to release it. I will be watching the thread here to see what the results are, just out of curiosity. Good luck with it!
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2019, 06:39:38 PM »
OK! I made a batch of shirts using the transfer paper from Michaels, probably their house brand.

I modified the specified application technique as follows:

The application was done on a hardwood table, not an ironing board
A piece of baking parchment paper was placed under the shirt to prevent sticking to the table
A piece of parchment paper was laid over the transfer to prevent slippage
The iron was as hot as it could go at linen setting
I pressed really hard when doing the application, possibly 30 LB. ?

So far my shirt has gone through at least two normal washings with the rest of the laundry, with the exception of being turned inside out.

No visible damage to the image.

You guys were no help with answers to questions that weren’t asked. I finally had to do my own experiment. R%%%%

Lucky for you, it is now clear how the shirts can be done. My cost was less than $6 per shirt. The best quote I got professionally was $25 each. If my shirt goes to blazes, it can be duplicated 3 times and still be money ahead!  ;D

H^^

DesignMan

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2019, 09:43:00 PM »
Hi Larry. The best Tee shirts I have are the ones I got from VSC and some are 20+ years old and just now fading. I wear a different one each day out in my shop. so they get washed once a week and hold up.  It's the glue, super glue and dope that destroys them, that and sandpaper. H^^

Sure. silkscreen is superior, so what? It is really expensive to set up. Not reasonable for a run of 1 to 4 shirts. Big deal. I have lots of VSC shirts myself and wear them all the time. They look great and cost $15 or more depending on when you buy them.  I can do my shirts for $6. So far they work great.

That was NOT the issue on this thread. I wanted information on how to do one or two shirts. I got NO useful information and finally had to go it on my own. Fortunately, the technique adopted worked great, and is now available to whoever needs it.

I love you guys, but when I ask a question, it would really be nice to get an answer to the question asked, not everything on related topics.

Usually, the alternatives are really obvious, and a waste of e-space.  VD~

DesignMan

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2019, 10:03:08 PM »
Sure. silkscreen is superior, so what? It is really expensive to set up. Not reasonable for a run of 1 to 4 shirts. Big deal. I have lots of VSC shirts myself and wear them all the time. They look great and cost $15 or more depending on when you buy them.  I can do my shirts for $6. So far they work great.

That was NOT the issue on this thread. I wanted information on how to do one or two shirts. I got NO useful information and finally had to go it on my own. Fortunately, the technique adopted worked great, and is now available to whoever needs it.

I love you guys, but when I ask a question, it would really be nice to get an answer to the question asked, not everything on related topics.

Usually, the alternatives are really obvious, and a waste of e-space.  VD~

Well, I have been a member of this forum since it's inception, I do believe, and I read many of the days posts on every section every day, if there are any new postings on it. And in all of those years, I don't think the subject of do-it-yourself T-shirt printing has ever come up. This seems to be a trend lately. That is encountering a problem and instead of solving the problem and thinking for themselves, the poster just asks the forum! What would some of you do if there was no internet? The hobby is in bad enough shape as it is, but it might be extinct by now if some did not have the computer to lean on. As far as T-shirts are concerned, I do buy mine. it's called supporting the economy. I buy a T-shirt and help someone make their house payment or put food on the table. If I buy their T-shirt , then maybe they will come and buy whatever I'm selling! That's how business works. You made a shirt for 6 bucks, but how much time did you spend on that endeavor, researching materials and asking on the internet, and then scolding us when no one could tell you what you wanted to hear, which was how to make a 6 dollar T-shirt. If you value your time like I do, I figure you wasted about 175 bucks worth of your valuable spare time to make a 6 dollar T-shirt. But since you got what you wanted in the end, and that was a 6 dollar T-shirt, I guess you should consider the endeavor a success??? Now I'm pissed at myself because I just wasted valuable sleep time to type this response! So to conclude, congratulations!  And you're welcome! R%%%%

Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2019, 08:14:58 AM »
Dan, do you have other people build your models so they have income?

And with the huge knowledge pool that this forum represents, why not ask for advice when approaching a new problem?

I get pleasure from doing things for myself. In this case, product reviews on transfer sheets have some real horror stories. So asking about real world experiences seemed reasonable.

In this case, it seems that the application technique is the way to avoid problems.

Ty, advice is always appreciated, but it is frustrating to rarely get my specific questions answered.

DesignMan

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2019, 02:09:14 PM »
It would be helpful if you posted an image of what you want on the shirt.

Offline Dan Berry

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2019, 05:42:14 PM »
The heat transfer thingies that you can print on will get an image onto a shirt.
It will stay decent for six to ten washings.
Cold washing inside out and line drying will extend the life a bit.

I'm sorry that I didn't answer the question sooner.

Offline Ara Dedekian

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Ara Dedekian
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2019, 03:45:17 AM »
For shirt quality the GIL-DAN labeled shirts are far better than any of the others.  They typically out last any of the others about 6 to 1.

They also seem to to be far more comfortable to wear than any of the other stuff!

Randy Cuberly

With apologies to Larry.....,

I've been wearing a neighbor's company tee shirt all summer that has a quality to it and is the best fitting and most comfortable tee shirt I've worn. It easily survived Brodaks and is still going strong. I thought my only recourse was to buy more from the neighbor until I read this post. You guessed it, its a GILDAN.

Even with shipping more than the cost of the five shirts I bought on line from GILDAN (which were delivered the next day!), it's a steal.

Ara

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2019, 08:20:59 AM »
Gildan shirts are $4 at Michaels and $10 at Hobby Lobby. I was told by my printing business buddy that wholesale is $2!

DesignMan

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2019, 11:56:31 AM »
Larry
Pretty sure your printing buddy needs to order a GROSS to get that price...just sayin...If I or wife could source $ 2 tee shirts I would never be in that section of WalMart ever again...hell at that price I don't care if hot pink

I did not answer your transfer paper inquiry even though my quilting hobby wife does a lot of exactly what you wanted BUT with a High Temp and Pressure press.

Tailor and Siser (not a misspell )are her go to brands...Tailor is usually $12.99 for 10 sheets at hobby lobby...Siser is much more expensive and not suitable for you as it is usually sold on a long roll.  Price per sq inch very good for a large qty order...not a value for your small run

Both can be bought for InkJet or Laser printer method

High Temp vinyl and pressure is BEST for complete high def transfer and normal washability as has been mentioned above

"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2019, 07:00:36 PM »
Thanks for the input.  H^^

Sadly, so far only inkjet papers seem to be available in stores. I will have to get the laser stuff on line, I guess.

DesignMan

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2019, 09:11:19 PM »
We're always glad to help, Larry. Here's a link that should help turn you into a T-shirt professional. Anything else, just ask!  LL~ Steve

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0773Y1TNX/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_ETiADbTP8M72W
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2019, 07:00:25 AM »
What I really need are laser printer transfer sheets.

DesignMan

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2019, 10:49:27 AM »
By the way, here is the artwork for my next shirt project.

DesignMan

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here