News:

• May 04, 2024, 08:56:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Yes off topic buy you will really enjoy this  (Read 1590 times)

Offline EddyR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Yes off topic buy you will really enjoy this
« on: August 25, 2019, 07:45:40 PM »
100 years of land speed records
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Yes off topic buy you will really enjoy this
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 08:17:22 AM »
Cool stuff! Thanks.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 08:41:56 AM »
At 763 they are up agents the sound barrier at 767.  May be a long time before that happens.    y1  I wounder what the wheel driven land speed record  is?  ???
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 10:19:00 AM »
Those gentlemen had more nerve than I do.   Some one need to do one on Control Line Speed planes.  By the way I remember my Dad saying as a child they always said a man could not live at speeds over 100 mph. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 01:04:46 PM »
Not sure how to break this to you, Doc, but I can attest to that not being accurate.  (Don't ask me how I know.) VD~
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Online Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2019, 01:15:14 PM »
Those gentlemen had more nerve than I do.   Some one need to do one on Control Line Speed planes.  By the way I remember my Dad saying as a child they always said a man could not live at speeds over 100 mph. D>K
in the 18th and early 19th centuries it was believed that humans couldn't survive above 35-40mph.

Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2019, 06:11:51 PM »
439.5 is the current speed record for a internal combustion piston driven motor. There are some turbine motor s driving the wheels that go faster/
Ed
 UPDATE   I just read the there is a new record set last year at 448+ mph. It was set with Micky Thompsons 50 year old Challenger. Same car but new motors.
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Dwayne

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2019, 07:34:55 PM »
Thanks for posting I really dig Bonneville and land speed records, it's the last true bastion of speed and innovation, pretty much every other form of motorsport has bean ruled and regulated to death, Bonneville is the last place where all out speed is the name of the game, where back yard builders still build machines that set world records much the same way as Breedlove and Arfons did in the past. The all out wheel driven record  was set this year at 503 mph by team Vesco's turbine powered streamliner, how long until a piston car cracks 500? I could go on all day, I really dig Bonneville!  y1 ~>

Edit: Sorry my mistake, Team Vesco ran 503 mph in 2018 but couldn't back it up because of rain, they are hoping to make it official this year.

Offline David Russum

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2019, 11:41:19 PM »
At 763 they are up agents the sound barrier at 767.  May be a long time before that happens.    y1  I wounder what the wheel driven land speed record  is?  ???

They *did* break the sound barrier, on both runs, sonic boom and everything.  I remember reading that the shock wave partially "liquified" the surface and that the wheel speed was somewhat slower than the vehicle speed (!!!!!).  The wheel-driven record is 463 mph, set a little over a year ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_vehicle_speed_records
AMA #335952

Offline George Albo

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2019, 08:38:59 AM »
Two thumbs up.  Good stuff. I love these historical clips.

George
Darkness is dispelled with acts of kindness and selfless good deeds.

Offline Dennis Vander Kuur

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2019, 12:44:32 PM »
My best friend, who saved my life when we served with the 119th Assault Helicopter Company in Vietnam, was a body shop mechanic by trade and a hot rod guru. After getting out of the service he bought 5 1933 Plymouths. He loved that car because his father had one when he was growing up. He had a 4-door sedan, a 2-door sedan, a 2-door roadster with a rumble seat, a convertible, and a pickup truck. He kept one for himself and gave one each to his wife, son, and 2 daughters. He did all the work himself to install Mustang running gear (souped-up V-8 engine, 4-speed transmission, front and rear suspension, cooling system, steering system, etc.). He then did all the body work and custom paint jobs. He drove one to my surprise 50th birthday party in Michigan. His Plymouths were truly works of art. He told me then that he was planning on taking his 1933 Plymouth to the Bonneville Salt Flats the next year and run it in class just for kicks-n-grins. He lived in Pittsburgh and would be passing by Chicago, where I lived, on his way to Bonneville. I begged him to let me be his helper and share the Bonneville experience with him. He gladly agreed. Unfortunately, god had other plans. My friend was killed riding his motorcycle to work 7 months before the scheduled Bonneville trip. Anytime I see anything about the Bonneville Salt Flats I remember him. I apologize to anyone who may be offended by my emotional posting.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 02:19:30 PM by Dennis Vander Kuur »
Dennis L. Vander Kuur
AMA 29292

Offline John Watson

• 21 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2019, 04:20:42 PM »
Yes I remember when scientist told Don Garlits that 180 was the max speed possible for a vehicle to achieve in 1/4 mile. Anything above that was impossible.

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2019, 03:12:18 PM »
There was a terrible loss yesterday in the car racing world.

Jessi Combs - fastest woman on four wheels - died today attempting to break her own land speed record.

I have watched her on many car shows over the years and always learned stuff from her.  She wasn't just another pretty face but a true car nut and racing driver and fan.  She was an accomplished welder and leader of the pack.  She will be missed.

https://jalopnik.com/fastest-woman-on-four-wheels-jessi-combs-killed-in-jet-1837654356

Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2019, 05:51:25 PM »
There was a terrible loss yesterday in the car racing world.

Jessi Combs - fastest woman on four wheels - died today attempting to break her own land speed record.

I have watched her on many car shows over the years and always learned stuff from her.  She wasn't just another pretty face but a true car nut and racing driver and fan.  She was an accomplished welder and leader of the pack.  She will be missed.

https://jalopnik.com/fastest-woman-on-four-wheels-jessi-combs-killed-in-jet-1837654356
The F-104 claims yet another victim
Steve

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here