News:

• April 18, 2024, 10:18:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Custom Models Forerunner  (Read 23234 times)

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Re: Custom Models Forerunner
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2013, 03:52:40 PM »
Bob --- received the carb today ... looks really sharp.  I cant wait to fire this engine up.

Joe
Joe Daly

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2013, 07:38:37 PM »
 I got a chance to look at a lot of different control handles this morning at Flushing Meadow Park.  The outcry I incited about using a U-Reely was carried over there.  I saw a look at a dozen different handles courtesy of Neal and Ron.  Jose was subtle but spoke with authority.  I reviewed just about every handle available and all work well but don't feel right in my hand.  I decided to make my own.   I like the UR grip feel and angle.  I made a pattern from my UR handle and made it cable adjustable like my EZ Just.  I used a cable out of a bicycle brake line. Measures .060.  Monday I will get some ferrules from McMaster Carr and crimp the ends.   

Joe
Joe Daly

Offline De Hill

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2013, 08:19:42 PM »
I have some very old handles in my collection that look like yours.
De Hill

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2013, 09:27:56 PM »
Nothing new here.  I took component design from 2 successful handles. U-Reely grip, EZ Just type adjustable cable. Fits my hand perfectly.

Joe
Joe Daly

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2013, 06:19:08 AM »
Hi Joe,
Great meeting you yesterday. Your new handle looks good and should be a lot lighter than the u-really and give a better feel. For handle cable I'm using Type 302 Stainless Steel Wire Rope 7X19 Strand Core, 1/16" Dia, 480# Break Strength  http://www.mcmaster.com/#3458T75  I am using these sleeves Copper Oval Compression Sleeve for 1/16" Rope Diameter, 3/8" Sleeve Length   http://www.mcmaster.com/#3897T5  This cable is very flexible  If you can wait I'll be happy to give you a few sleeves and a piece of cable as I have plenty.
William
AMA 98010

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2013, 07:10:46 AM »
Is the Forerunner still available? Who kits them? What are the basic specs? Is it classic legal?

Best,          DennisT

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2013, 07:23:37 AM »
Not currently in production. However, Walter Umland has it in the works using a built up wing;
http://builtrightflyright.com/New_Web_Pgs/kits/Forerunner/Forerunner.htm

Ultra Hobby Products has plans for standard and big sized;
 http://www.ultrahobbyproducts.com/Plans_List.html

Walt shows it as Nostalgia 30

Joe
Joe Daly

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2013, 08:50:38 AM »
If anyone doubts what the Saito 40 will do Martin Quartim posted a video of a flight with a Saito 40 on a Pathfinder in the 4 stroke forum.

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=31340.0

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2013, 07:59:45 PM »
I am going to finish building the original Customs Models Forerunner that I have and power it with a Saito 40.  I am also going to build another one from scratch that I will power with an electrical motor. I built the fuselage today and I knocked off some really nice engineering from Crist Rigotti's 570 Electric Profile, Keith Renecle's Protron profile and Doug Knoyle's Forerunner.  Ron Heckler and Will DeMauro got me going with the electrics. I have a wing out of Mustang Stunter that I am going to use in the electric.  Same chord and span as a Forerunner but the aspect ratio is a bit different based on the fuselage cut out.  Photos shows is roughed out on the drawing.  I added 1/2" to the nose to fit the battery pack and to keep it in proportion added 1-1/16" to the aft fuselage.
Joe Daly

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2013, 08:10:50 PM »
This photo shows the pattern I made from the original Forerunner Fuselage and then stretched it for electrics installation. The pattern is overlaying the build up. 
Joe Daly

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2013, 08:20:41 PM »
Battery and engine cutouts done.  The engine bearers - I used bass wood instead of maple for weight reduction. I weighed the IC fuse and it is 9.55 oz.  The ECL fuse weight is 5.70 oz.  I used 1/16" plywood for the doublers and 1/16" sheet to skin the rest.  Measures 5/8" thick nose to tail.

Joe
Joe Daly

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2013, 08:43:09 PM »
Cool project.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2013, 08:57:19 PM »
CR - I guess you can recognize that built up profile fuselage.   I liked the design you created on the 570 and used it.  Nice weight saving for a profile fuse.

Joe
Joe Daly

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2013, 08:58:57 PM »
No problem, glad I can be of some help.  It does build a good fuselage!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2013, 01:52:01 PM »
Built up the stab last night.  Used 1/4 x 1/4 sticks for the leading/trailing edges. Skinned it with 1/16".  Custom Models Forerunner used foam core for stab and 1/4" sheet for the elevators.  Planning on monokote hinges.

Joe
Joe Daly

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2013, 04:23:32 PM »
Went to Flushing Meadow Park this morning and flew the aged Mustang Stunter.  First time I ever flew it and it was surprisingly fast.  The more aged FP40 that I used in RC for a lot years and converted to a CL venturi ran raggedity.   With some help from the New York Stunt Team the engine got sorted out.  The muffler was loaded with crud and that was the chief cause.  I took the engine apart and cleaned in last month. Then ran it for just a few minutes. Hadn't been run in 20 years before last month.  Should have disassembled and cleaned the muffler then.  Second flight it ran well but pulls hard for a 40 sized ship.  I am still stiff in maneuvers.  I might be pushing too hard to get back in the groove of CL flying. Inside loops I am finishing too tight and the old MS just doesn't like it.  Plus it might have too much rudder offset. The plane doesn't groove as well as I well as I would like. If I pull some rudder out it might groove better. Will DeMauro and Ron Heckler critiqued the Forerunner fuselage and gave me a few suggestions on the electric set up.  The NYST is being very patient with me and they are very helpful getting the Mustang Stunter in flying condition.   

Joe
Joe Daly

Offline Doug Knoyle

• Lieutenant
Re: Re: Re: Custom Models Forerunner
« Reply #66 on: July 27, 2013, 07:33:50 PM »
Built up the stab last night.  Used 1/4 x 1/4 sticks for the leading/trailing edges. Skinned it with 1/16".  Custom Models Forerunner used foam core for stab and 1/4" sheet for the elevators.  Planning on monokote hinges.

Joe
Hi Joe, this is lookin great. I used a standard sailplane hinge - 3M Tape).

My flyin buddy Dave Denison suggested it as he had been using them on everything for years with great results (R/C Pattern, C/L, Sailplanes). I have them on Sailplanes, but was skeptical until using them on my Forerunner ...they have been perfect. This is easier to install and more robust than Monokote hinges.

Cheers,
Doug
Sent from my Note2 using Tapatalk 2
AMA 60591

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2013, 08:20:59 PM »
Doug- I will try the book binding 3M tape ... 

The Mustang Stunter weighs in at 61 ounces.  Not as heavy as it felt when I was flying it.   The 2 paint jobs added some to the airframe.

Joe
Joe Daly

Offline Doug Knoyle

• Lieutenant
Re: Re: Custom Models Forerunner
« Reply #68 on: July 27, 2013, 09:56:41 PM »
Joe, that tape is on top only. I think I used it full width. I'll check.

Sent from my Note 2 using Tapatalk 2
AMA 60591

Offline Doug Knoyle

• Lieutenant
« Reply #69 on: July 29, 2013, 10:10:56 AM »
Joe, the hinge tape is 1/2 inch on flaps and 1 inch on elevators.

Sent from my Note 2 using Tapatalk 2
AMA 60591

Online Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2013, 10:37:48 AM »
IIRC, Doug's Forerunner has the elevator and flap LE cut for surface hinge.  The pictures also seem to show this.  Book tape is very difficult to get into a "v" slot on both sides and still may not hold.  It would be a different load on the tape and hinge line.  It could be used to seal on one side, but there are thinner tapes for that.
Fred

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #71 on: July 29, 2013, 09:31:55 PM »
Got the fuselage and wing assembled over the weekend.  Looks like a Forerunner with Mustang wing tips.   Monokoted the wing and elevators.  The wing had silkspan and a couple coats of clear on it when I got it.  I will have to run a "Woodpecker" over it and re-iron it to get the blisters out. Then paint the fuselage.  If I can get some time on it I could fly this thing on the weekend. 

Joe
Joe Daly

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2013, 01:03:42 PM »
Flew 2 flights this morning between the rains.  Weather never really cleared but it did stop raining long enough.   I met Will DeMauro and John at FMP and Will went through the charging sequence with my battery packs.  I had it close but they needed to be topped off. Brought the Honda 2000EU generator and it handled the Power Lab 8 just fine. Flies 5.2 second laps on 60' lines right off the initial setup that Ron Heckler and Will recommended.  It is a bit sensitive but it might be just a tad tail heavy.  I will move the motor forward and that should get it close.   John feels that the controls are a little too sensitive as they are probably on a 3" bellcrank.  Dunno as I took the wing out of a Mustang Stunter that I bought off EBay. Will move the horn positions and make a new handle with closer hard points.  Interesting part of the whole thing is I didn't have to clean the plane when I got home. 
Joe Daly

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2013, 03:48:21 PM »
Gee.  I remember watching Jim Walker fly with his U-Reely.  Seemed to do OK, but he didn't do the stunt pattern.

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Doug Knoyle

• Lieutenant
« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2013, 06:12:31 PM »
Joe, Fantastic! No matter how many times you hear about it, it is always the awakening to actually experience not having to clean your plane, quick and specific RPM changes, and the ever convenient 60 second test flight between adjusments.

Welcome to the future.

How do you like the hinges?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
AMA 60591

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2013, 07:03:24 PM »
Hinges worked well.  I think I need to move the CG forward a bit and take some control out.

Joe
Joe Daly

Offline Doug Knoyle

• Lieutenant
« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2013, 07:28:19 PM »
General consensus is that electrics like the CG further forward than you would think. See the All Amped Up section for more on this.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
AMA 60591

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #77 on: August 04, 2013, 08:32:17 AM »
Fly over grass and you will have grass stains to clean.   Also during some times of the day I have had to clean bug carcuses off the leading edges of wing and stab. LL~ LL~  Anyway glad the plane is working for you. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here