News:

• May 14, 2024, 06:44:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: elevator horn hatch?  (Read 4586 times)

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
elevator horn hatch?
« on: March 09, 2014, 11:30:39 PM »
Hey guys, I'm just thinking about my current build, and I'd like to have the ability to adjust the elevator horn, both for ratios and for adjustment of neutral. Obviously this means that a decent-ish hole needs to be cut into the tail area, but I'm not sure how big is enough, and what the best way to go is.

I'll be using ball links on the tail, so I assume that I'll need a slot on one side to tighten the locking bolt, and a hole where I can remove the ball link and twist it to adjust.

Just wondering if anyone has a good way of doing this?

Cheers

Greg
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Online Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
Re: elevator horn hatch?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 04:47:16 AM »
I use a 4-40 metal clevis with a half inch hole under the stab on the side opposite the exhaust and a 1/4 inch hole on the bottom under the first hole. Stick a screwdriver through the bottom hole and look through the hole under the stab to unhook/re hook the clevis and turn the clevis through the half inch hole. I made a cable tool to do the turning.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 10:20:18 AM »
I use a 4-40 metal clevis with a half inch hole under the stab on the side opposite the exhaust and a 1/4 inch hole on the bottom under the first hole. Stick a screwdriver through the bottom hole and look through the hole under the stab to unhook/re hook the clevis and turn the clevis through the half inch hole. I made a cable tool to do the turning.

I would definitely recommend against using the typical 4-40 metal clevises on a stunt plane.  The control loads can go too high in the wind and they will definitely break, especially after time from fatigue.  I've personally seen it happen many times.
The best solution in my opinion is the adjustable control horns from Tom Morris with a slider coupled with the aluminum clevises from Ultra Hobby Products.
I'm in a hurry to attend a meeting right now, but will supply some pictures later of a typical installation of mine, unless someone else gets there first.

The first picture below shows My Tempest II before covering.  The second picture shows the Tempest II elevator horn access hole with the aluminum clevis and single horn from Tom Morris.  The third picture shows my Collossus after covering before painting.  The fourth picture shows the access hatch and double control horn from Tom Morris with a Tom Morris Ball Link.  The fifth photo shows the Collossus hatch cover installed.  It has a tab on one end and a screw with blind nut on the other.
The fuselage sides are reinforced with 1/64 plywood on the insides with the hole in the plywood sized smaller than in the balsa to provide a ledge for the balsa cover.  The balsa cover has a ply tab and insert where the screw rests as does the fuselage side.

One thing to note is that using these horns and the clevis requires that the fuselage be widened a bit beyond what most stunters usually are for clearance for the horn and clevis, but that's acually structurally stiffer and a plus structurally.

Randy Cuberly
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 06:12:39 PM by Randy Cuberly »
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 10:25:23 AM »
The threads on a 4-40 metal clevis is about 1/2" long.  Using all or most of the threads should be much stronger than needed for flight loads.  These things are formed from one piece, so the threaded barrel has a seam.  I always solder that seam with silver solder.

F.C.
90 years, but still going (mostly)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 11:54:39 AM »
What Randy said is true. Some will come on here and tell you it is OK to use them as they have improved a lot. Why take a chance when people have seen them fail. I have seen them fail over and over. If you solder them they are no longer adjustable.
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 12:23:05 PM »
I've never had a clevis failure.

But then, I changed to ball links before I stopped crashing all the time...
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline tom brightbill

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 01:02:47 PM »
On my latest build, a Shark 45, I put a hole/cover that is .75 x 1.5 with a full radius at each end fore and aft. There are 2" pieces of 3/16 sq. aligned with the top and bottom of the hole to help reduce the chance of stresses.  I put 1/16 ply , .75 x .5, on the inside fore and aft extending into the hole about 1/4" to stabilize the the cover and give something to put the hold down screws through. The cover is 1/32 ply with balsa laminated to a height above the fuse surface then sanded to contour.  Hope this makes sense.  I also use Tom Morris parts now as the time and money invested is too high for me not to.  If that's not do-able for you, at least do as Floyd suggested. Good luck.
AMA 34849

Offline builditright

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • So happy to be alive!
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 01:22:08 PM »
Hi
Once you decide on your control type; check out the access hatches I offer. 

http://www.builtrightflyright.com/MiscPgs/AccessHatch/hatch1.htm

Thank you and God Bless
Walter
aka/ builditright

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 01:53:10 PM »
Two variations of an elevator horn hatch cover.

These hatch covers give access to something else beside the elevator horn, but that function is not in the scope of this thread.

Keith

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 06:17:15 PM »
Just as a note I added photos and explanation to my original post above showing the installation of the double horn with a ball link and a single horn with the aluminum clevis.
I've used this construction on half a dozen airplanes and never had any problems whatsover.  It is very stiff and functional and very adjustable.

I would reiterate...Do not use R/C clevises...they will fail!!!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Kim Doherty

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 08:29:01 PM »
Hey guys, I'm just thinking about my current build, and I'd like to have the ability to adjust the elevator horn, both for ratios and for adjustment of neutral. Obviously this means that a decent-ish hole needs to be cut into the tail area, but I'm not sure how big is enough, and what the best way to go is.
Greg

Greg,

For all the trouble of making a hatch you could just as easily make the rudder and rearmost part of the fuselage removable. Join the rudder to the fuse and cut down ahead of the stab on top and right at the rear edge of the hinge line down below. Hold on with plywood tabs and small bolts down below and a small dowel on top . This provides quick and easy access to any adjustment you need. (including adding or subtracting tail weight).

Kim

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 03:28:17 AM »
Kim you may have just given me an idea. The model is a super chipmunk, which if you know them has a small tail cone between the elevator halves. I think I could make that removable and have access to the horn and the ball link. Thanks for the idea!!
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 06:55:26 AM »
Just as a note I added photos and explanation to my original post above showing the installation of the double horn with a ball link and a single horn with the aluminum clevis.
I've used this construction on half a dozen airplanes and never had any problems whatsover.  It is very stiff and functional and very adjustable.

I would reiterate...Do not use R/C clevises...they will fail!!!

Randy Cuberly
What advantage if any does the aluminum clevis have over ball links ?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2014, 07:59:08 AM »
It straddles the control horn and the one I have is beefier.  They also take up less space.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 09:58:31 AM »
What advantage if any does the aluminum clevis have over ball links ?

Hi Allan,
The aluminum clevis has a couple of advantages over the Ball links.
1.  They are very free in operation and never tighten up in cold weather as ball links have been known to do sometimes.  This is of course the most important factor.

2.  They are easier to deal with during adjustments.  The hardened pin and screw arrangement is very easy to remove and never requires any access to the other side of the horn.  While it's true the Tom Morris horns have sliding inserts that will stay in the horn slot if treated very carefully when the ball link is removed to make adjustments to the pushrod length, they can and do fall out sometimes and are a royal PITA to get back in the slot through a small access window...I know and this is the main reason I went to using the Aluminum clevises.

3.  The aluminum clevises are very well made and come in different throat lengths (long and short) and are very strong and flex free and I've never seen the slightest indication of wear on the pin (very hard) or the slider in the horn in literally thousands of flights on several airplanes.

The Tom Morris double horn arrangements with the slots is my preference if ball links are to be used.  I always use these double horns for the flaps. with ball links but have had two instances in the past where it was necessary to cut into an airplane to replace a ball link that tightened up in colder weather.  On my next build I'm going to use clevises there also with single horns.

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2014, 10:08:08 AM »
Greg,

For all the trouble of making a hatch you could just as easily make the rudder and rearmost part of the fuselage removable. Join the rudder to the fuse and cut down ahead of the stab on top and right at the rear edge of the hinge line down below. Hold on with plywood tabs and small bolts down below and a small dowel on top . This provides quick and easy access to any adjustment you need. (including adding or subtracting tail weight).

Kim
I did just what Kim suggest here after trying 3-4 different hatch designs, and not being totally happy with any of them.  I made the lower section of the fuse from the hinge line aft removable.  Two 4-40's hold it on.  Comes off easy and gives full access to horn connection.  I also have two 3/8" holes on either side of fuse at the flap horn to disconnect front end of elevator pushrod and remove it out the back if I need to adjust length of rod.  Little more work than just a hatch but finally had something I was happy with.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2014, 10:12:27 AM »
Hi Allan,
The aluminum clevis has a couple of advantages over the Ball links.
1.  They are very free in operation and never tighten up in cold weather as ball links have been known to do sometimes.  This is of course the most important factor.

2.  They are easier to deal with during adjustments.  The hardened pin and screw arrangement is very easy to remove and never requires any access to the other side of the horn.  While it's true the Tom Morris horns have sliding inserts that will stay in the horn slot if treated very carefully when the ball link is removed to make adjustments to the pushrod length, they can and do fall out sometimes and are a royal PITA to get back in the slot through a small access window...I know and this is the main reason I went to using the Aluminum clevises.

3.  The aluminum clevises are very well made and come in different throat lengths (long and short) and are very strong and flex free and I've never seen the slightest indication of wear on the pin (very hard) or the slider in the horn in literally thousands of flights on several airplanes.

The Tom Morris double horn arrangements with the slots is my preference if ball links are to be used.  I always use these double horns for the flaps. with ball links but have had two instances in the past where it was necessary to cut into an airplane to replace a ball link that tightened up in colder weather.  On my next build I'm going to use clevises there also with single horns.

Randy Cuberly
Yea, I sometimes run into a ball link that is tight right out of the package.  But I work on it a little to see if I can free it up or it doesn't go into the plane.  I have never had one tighten up on me after its service.  To free up a tight one I will pop out the ball and do some very minor trimming of the the 2 outside edges of the plastic housing with #11 blade.  If that doesn't work I put a long 4-40 screw in the ball with a nut tightened to it.  Chuck the screw in a drill motor to turn it at slow speed and put some fine lapping compound on the ball to lap it into the plastic.  Works sometimes, if it don't I throw it away.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Kim Doherty

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2014, 02:43:49 PM »
Yea, I sometimes run into a ball link that is tight right out of the package.  But I work on it a little to see if I can free it up or it doesn't go into the plane.  I have never had one tighten up on me after its service.  To free up a tight one I will pop out the ball and do some very minor trimming of the the 2 outside edges of the plastic housing with #11 blade.  If that doesn't work I put a long 4-40 screw in the ball with a nut tightened to it.  Chuck the screw in a drill motor to turn it at slow speed and put some fine lapping compound on the ball to lap it into the plastic.  Works sometimes, if it don't I throw it away.

Alan,

I posted this some time ago:

If you are going to use ball links you will most likely need to adjust them as well. You will need two tools for this. The first are ball link pliers to remove the link from the ball and reinstall it afterward. The second is a ball link resizer of the appropriate diameter to adjust the amount of friction present in the link. The resizing tool is adjustable in diameter to enable you to remove just the right amount of material. You will only need to rotate the tool a couple of times before you retry the ball. Both of these tools can be purchased at almost any hobby shop.

Kim.

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2014, 03:10:14 PM »
Alan,

If you are going to use ball links you will most likely need to adjust them as well. You will need two tools for this. The first are ball link pliers to remove the link from the ball and reinstall it afterward. The second is a ball link resizer of the appropriate diameter to adjust the amount of friction present in the link. The resizing tool is adjustable in diameter to enable you to remove just the right amount of material. You will only need to rotate the tool a couple of times before you retry the ball. Both of these tools can be purchased at almost any hobby shop.

Kim.

I see the pliers at Tower but not the sizing tool.  There are sizing tools at the heli sites but they are specific to the size ball links used for heli's.  Could not find one to fit the 1/4" balls we use.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 04:18:28 PM by Allan Perret »
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2014, 03:46:05 PM »
Alan,

Kim.

Kim,
I have those tools and have used them, but with the extreme thermal cycling we experience here in AZ, it's necessary to get them so loose as to be unusable to insure that they won't eventually tighten up.  We see temperature varaitions as high 150 degrees F. from night to storage shed temperature in the summer time.

I'll stick to metallic components just like the military specs do!!!

I never want to cut into a finished stunter again!  And I don't want to build take apart airplanes!

Thanks,
Randy Cuberly!
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Kim Doherty

• Commander
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2014, 08:47:01 AM »

And I don't want to build take apart airplanes!

Thanks,
Randy Cuberly!

They are all take apart airplanes Randy, just a matter of when and how.

Kim.

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2014, 08:59:46 AM »
What Randy said is true. Some will come on here and tell you it is OK to use them as they have improved a lot. Why take a chance when people have seen them fail. I have seen them fail over and over. If you solder them they are no longer adjustable.

I quit when I found ball links. I never had one fail but I always worried about them. The thread fit is very loose and the jam nits would always come loose leaving the clevis totally bearing on the threads alone. The threads wore and got looser with time.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2014, 09:11:13 AM »
Jam nuts with nylon insert work well for me.  Have never had one come loose yet. HB~>
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2014, 10:03:33 AM »
They are all take apart airplanes Randy, just a matter of when and how.

Kim.

Keep them long enough and they are fall apart planes. HB~>
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2014, 12:31:11 PM »
Keep them long enough and they are fall apart planes. HB~>

Unfortunately very true, Dick!   I usually give mine away and let someone else experience that phenomonen!LL~ LL~ LL~

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Online Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2014, 12:49:40 PM »
You know they are old when the only thing left hanging by the leadouts is the bellcrank and pushrod. HB~>
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here