General control line discussion > Open Forum

Crock Pot questions

(1/6) > >>

Paul Pomposo:
I have questions in dept regarding crock pot for cleaning a castor caked engine. I'm trying to clean up an old OS 35 that needs it.

* Do I dip in the entire engine with all the guts inside attached? minus the teflon pads.

* When I remove the engine from the crock pot, do I rinse it off with soap and water? Oil would need to followed immediately. How does this process not cause it to rust?

* for other engines with anozied heads, can I crock pot this without destroying the color?

Peter in Fairfax, VA:
I use a crock pot often.  Works great, sometimes requiring just a little brushing.

Typical for me is to pull the head, the backplate, the NVA, the liner, the piston/sleeve, then leave the pieces in the crock pot overnight.  I can say the green antifreeze is hard on blue LA paint.

Paul Pomposo:
That makes sense to disassemble the parts and dip those separately. I will use coat hangers to connect the parts to the crock pot. Painted engines would be an issue.

Peter in Fairfax, VA:
Myself, I do not use the coat hanger, as fishing for the parts with long nosed pliers works for me.

https://www.sciplus.com/stainless-steel-straight-tip-12-hemostat-313-p?gclid=Cj0KCQjw2MWVBhCQARIsAIjbwoMBPyEtSJAIMn7hTjGJuE8ABNkg34myo_-LSH_PdLl8fD2FASDCc9waArTREALw_wcB

BillP:
The only time I've needed to take the engine apart is to clean the blackened castor off the pistons or ring grooves. Normally I just pull the backplate and glow plug. The blackened stuff may need some scrubbing to speed up the process. I use toothpicks, wood skewers and old tooth brushes where needed. What works for me is straight antifreeze without water and cook on low overnight...sometimes longer to get the burnt/black stuff off. I use all castor fuel and wait until the engines are really ugly before doing the crockpot. When I first started using the crockpot I rinsed the engines with glow fuel. Later I experimented with a junk Fox 40BB and let is sit out on the bench without rinsing...weeks. No rust or corrosion, even the bearings were ok. So I quit rinsing a long time ago. Some report their engines get discolored but it hasn't happened to me with dozens of engines. Also, antifreeze does zero cleaning if you don't have heat...tried that too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version