General control line discussion > Open Forum

Cox PT 19 History?

<< < (7/18) > >>

Mike Hodge:
Mark, great descriptions of the past PTs. Lot's of detail I wouldn't have known or even recognized.

FWIW, I just nailed down and am in the process of buying a red and white PT from the late 60s. They're rare and the guy that I'm getting it from, I think, found me through this site/message board.

Mike

Mark Misegadis:
Hi Mike,

Glad you found the information helpful. I will be working to fill in the gaps and or make corrections as I know more. I am sure there are folks here that could help with that as well on this board.

You will have to post some pics of your QZ PT when you get it!

I have been flying a recent production version as late as last week. I had some issues with the fuse melting around the motor area and a cold flow joint during the injection molding on the left side of the nose. I have put a patch on the inside out of a junk fuse I was saving back for the Blue plastic. It works great and the plastic welding was done in a way that it looks like a factory deal.  I will be working to add some different wheels and a tail wheel as well. At some point I would like to come up with some vintage pilots to put in this one as the heads wont stay on the Dudley Do-Rights. An exhaust deflector is planned as well to kick the exhaust out and up over the cowl out of spun aluminum. This newer motor has never ran as well as the older ones that I have so there may be a motor swap. In Colorado as the Air is thinner.... it really has to run well to keep the lines tight during a flight.

While working on the plane above I put together a group of parts from what started out as a 1962 plane. I have shelf queens already so this one will be a flyer. These were lighter planes so it should fly much better. I will be reinforcing some areas so that it lasts but this will all be hidden so that it doesnt show. I will also be updating the gear on this plane but with vintage Perfect or Veco wheels. This particular plane will fly with the Original Baby Bee that has almost no time on it.

Take Care and looking forward to hearing from others that may have this PT 19 Fetish. Or. those that have some parts they may want to get rid of .. ;D

Mark

Pinecone:
Just had to add my PT-19 story.

I had one in 1967.  So second generation from what has been posted.  I know it had a Baby Bee because I still have the engine.  The engine later went on a Goldberg Trainer, the one with the two piece firewall that rubber banded together, as the engine is still mounted on a firewall piece.  I think it also served on a Goldberg Lil' Satan for a while.

But I think I "flew" the PT-19 a couple of times.  It was retired when one of the tabs broke off the wing that held the end of the rubber band.  Damage from one of my "landings" with it.  We tried to glue it back on, but wasn't able to get it to hold well enough to take the rubber band pressure.

Very fond memories of that plane.

George:

--- Quote from: Pinecone on July 10, 2009, 11:41:50 AM ---...I think it also served on a Goldberg Lil' Satan for a while.
--- End quote ---

Not to hijack but a quick Lil' Satan story: Newly married (1967), wife worked days, I worked nights, so I built a Lil' Satan for something to do during the days. Powered by Babe Bee, just got it finished and decided to make sure the engine still ran. Fired it up and very quickly became surrounded by a couple of neighborhood kids.

One boy was VERY interested in the plane. After he promised me that he would fly it, I gave it to him. We moved shortly after that so I never saw him fly it.

George

Frank Sheridan:
My favorite Cox PT-19 story is when the dreaded "invisible fuel fire" melted a plane before our very eyes!  Man, those little fire episodes were sneaky! I also remember that you could take a straight pin in a pair of pliers and melt another hole in the elevator control horn for more throw, and by opening the crossover hole in the rudder, you could get a PT to do a decent loop - as long as the engine was screaming its heart out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version