News:

• April 16, 2024, 05:57:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: COX !@#!@# models  (Read 1503 times)

Offline peter_gibbons

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
COX !@#!@# models
« on: August 29, 2006, 04:51:30 PM »
I know a lot of you all fly 15-40 competition/combat stuff. But, I thought I would tell you all about my conversation with Cox on the phone.

I asked about the engine production rumors (asia, europe, the moon).  He laughed and said NO.  He said engines hadn't been made in 10 years and that first, they don't know where the machines are (Roy Cox) and, that nobody bought them, they just KNOW that everyone is going electric, that there is no place for "Gas" model airplanes anymore. Even if they KNEW where the machines were, they wouldnt bother making anymore, as there is no market. 

I told him o'contrare, if you look at ebay that would change your argument. He responded with "ya."  So, there ya go, straight from the phone reps mouth. I guess all of us with Cox Thimble Drome engines are losers that havent caught onto the 'electric craze'

Thought I would let you know,

Ryan

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: COX !@#!@# models
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 06:22:28 PM »
I hate to say it, but this doesn't suprise me at all. The new owners won't ever understand and/or care about the BAZILLION .049's sold by the REAL Cox over all those years. The worse thing here is that the new company's bean counters are probably dead on with this business decision. Todays youth, in general, are much more interested in what the latest computer game is than getting their hands dirty flying models and learning about how things actually work. Have you looked at a Model Airplane News lately?
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline peter_gibbons

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 07:18:36 PM »
No actually i haven't, I am just simply trying to get my 4 year old out there flying, but instead, i am sitting here trying to collect as much 049 and 020 stuff as I can since a Brodak 049 is outta site (plus nobody makes and 020, sorry free flight guys).  There is no reason why the brodak 049 should cost 44 bucks... I learned things about engines from Cox when I was a kid that could never be substituted with anything else, and now this is what i find.  What a shame... plus, the guy was a total jerk wad on the phone. What a total a@@

Offline Ken Deboy

• Commander
    • Silk and Dope
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 09:34:25 PM »
I don't see why $44 for the Brodak .049 seems out of line. R&D and manufacturing start up costs need to be recovered, and it's (probably) not like there is a huge market for them.

cheers,
Ken
There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"

Offline Louis Rankin

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 10:34:40 PM »
The Norvels cost even more and are worth every penny.  The Brodak is certainly not out of sight at 44 bucks.  In fact, given inflation, I can buy more Brodaks now than I could buy Cox 049 motors when I was a kid.  While I still like the Cox motors the Brodak and Norvels are much, much better engines.  Spend the extra money and get the Norvel or Brodak, you will be happy.
Louis Rankin
Somerville Tennessee
AMA 10859

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 08:09:30 AM »
Agreed, the Norvel and Brodak engines are fairly priced. I'v got no experience with the Brodak, but my Norvel .061 is a great little engine, after the slightly extended break in period required of course.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 12:04:24 PM »
The Norvels cost even more and are worth every penny.  The Brodak is certainly not out of sight at 44 bucks.  In fact, given inflation, I can buy more Brodaks now than I could buy Cox 049 motors when I was a kid.  While I still like the Cox motors the Brodak and Norvels are much, much better engines.  Spend the extra money and get the Norvel or Brodak, you will be happy.

Besides that why not support the companies that still care about control line..

Online Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 12:44:41 PM »
I can not remember the online store but a few years back when I we did the .049 stuff, I bought one new for around $40. So Brodaks is not that far off. And like someone said, the Norvel's are good engines and more power IMHO.

Paul
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Warren Leadbeatter

• AUS-14782
  • Captain
    • My Home Page
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2006, 03:39:46 AM »
Hi guys,

I am a Cox engine lover for sentimental reasons, that is, they remind me of my child hood, I know them well, and they are very simple little engines to use and maintain and I feel comfortable letting the kids play with them because they aren't at all very dangerous by comparison to larger engines.

I must say I resisted the change to Norvel and even after buying a Norvel I didnt use it for months.  But having recently built my 1/2A Patfinder and puting a Norvel .061 in it, I'm kinda thinking now, for anything serious, forget the Cox and use a Norvel.  These engines are absolutely fantastic!

I still love my Cox's and will continue to fly them, but I think I will use a lot more Norvel's now for 1/2A Control Line and Free Flight. And the price of a Cox on ebay is the same if not more than a Norvel so the Norvel's are definitely better value for money.

Cheers
Warren Leadbeatter
Port Stephens, Australia
AUS-14782

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006, 05:01:25 AM »
Cox engines were for the most part manufactured on automatic screw machines, at least the metal parts. Parts were manufactured by the thousands at one time and then assembled. If you noticed Cox started to introduce plastic where they could to reduce costs. Then they were sold and moved north and most of the machines didnt go. The parts were probably jobbed out and the production lot sizes reduced. The cost went up not down as the new ownors had hopped. Then somebody at Estes realized that this wasnt there thing and sold it again. The only thing worth anything was the Cox name. So thats where it stands today. The name will someday surface again on an electric toy airplane. The motors produced for Brodak and Norvel come from smaller shops in much more smaller production lots and with a heck of a lot more quality. Well worth the $44.00 bucks.
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here