News:

• March 28, 2024, 03:33:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Controlline in the movies  (Read 3486 times)

Offline Luis Strufaldi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Controlline in the movies
« on: September 24, 2022, 07:54:40 AM »
Hello everyone

I just wanted to recommend a movie (actually, 2 movies) that I recently re-watched, with features Controlline model flying as a big part of the plot.

It's a Brazilian production called "The boy who killed my parents" (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10975604/) and "The girl who killed her parents" (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10605812/).

Both movies were shot simultaneously and tell the story of a very notorious real murder case in Brazil: Suzanne, the daughter of wealthy engineer Manfred Von Richthofen (yes, of “Red Baron” Von Richthofen ancestry – at least is what he claimed), becomes involved with a Controlline builder and flier after her brother begins taking flying lessons. The couple eventually plot and carry out the brutal murder of Suzanne’s mother and father and try to cover up their participation in the crime. Each movie shows the perspective of one of the accused.

Many of the scenes were filmed in our local flying field (Ibirapuera park) and, best of all, forum member and prolific builder Fred Cesquim was technical advisor and model builder for the movie, as well as flying instructor for the actors. He also makes some cameos in a few scenes.

Here in Brazil, the movie is available at Amazon Prime Video.
https://www.primevideo.com/detail/0LVOTHY4HCRCWLAY1KTDR0XQNH/ref=atv_dp_share_cu_r

Hope you enjoy
Luis Strufa

--------------------
After 30 years in this hobby, I think I'm finally moving up to "Beginners class"!

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Controlline in the movies
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2022, 01:03:54 PM »
This title may not be available to watch from your location. Go to amazon.com to see the video catalog in United States.

Tried it from an Amazon login and it is available if you have Prime.

Ken
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 01:52:49 PM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2022, 05:31:23 PM »
I think the world needs less control line people who murder others, but more films about control line. Although, what if silence of the lambs features control line instead of months and butterflies? I'll write a screenplay for anyone who wants to make a picture.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2022, 06:50:31 PM »
As technical advisor I would like to ask Fred why the plane that crashed had two motors?

Most flying I have seen in a movie.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2022, 02:15:37 PM »
I think the world needs less control line people who murder others, but more films about control line. Although, what if silence of the lambs features control line instead of months and butterflies? I'll write a screenplay for anyone who wants to make a picture 

What?  A mouth full of Nobler?

Offline Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2022, 10:45:17 PM »
What?  A mouth full of Nobler?
What about a needle valve from an o.k. .60?

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
    • Fred Cesquim Aeromodelos
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2022, 05:49:51 AM »
As technical advisor I would like to ask Fred why the plane that crashed had two motors?

Most flying I have seen in a movie.

Ken
hello Ken, probably the actor was holding a "spare" tank and you may confused with a second engine. not sure at all ( film was shot in 2020). The plane that actually crashed was a nobler arf with LA40. We had the camera, director, microfone boom and another 3 of the crew behind me at the center, and my mechanic messed up with the needle and the plane was flying really slow. As the production cost is a lot, i tried my best to make some wing overs and loops for the camera. problem is that it was fixed and facing off the wind, during a loop the wind blew high and cable slacked, since i had all this people and machinery behind me, running was not an option,so we just watched the plane hit te groung. Matter of fact, we had to "fake" a crash, so it worked out  LL~

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2022, 06:01:04 AM »
the nice thing about the movie is that both actors learnt to fly and some of the shots of the movie are they flying. I had 4 weeks to prepare them and both learnt really fast despite no previous experience on modelling.
sad thing is that the real Daniel ( of of the murders ) was an excellent flyer and builder. He is now off the jail, tried to return to flights but modellers made them unwanted so he gave up modelling.
on the pictures the workshop ( actually i moved my owrkshop to the set and assembled for them)
the actors, me,  mechanic (Sergio Granata) and the planes i arranged for the movie, most of them built by myself for clients and collected for the "competition" shootings.
my unexpected appearance on the movie ( third place). On one of the movies i was on second place. This is because the plot was based on the police hearings of Suzzanne and Daniel, and both had discrepancies.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2022, 07:50:42 AM »
hello Ken, probably the actor was holding a "spare" tank and you may confused with a second engine. not sure at all ( film was shot in 2020). The plane that actually crashed was a nobler arf with LA40. We had the camera, director, microfone boom and another 3 of the crew behind me at the center, and my mechanic messed up with the needle and the plane was flying really slow. As the production cost is a lot, i tried my best to make some wing overs and loops for the camera. problem is that it was fixed and facing off the wind, during a loop the wind blew high and cable slacked, since i had all this people and machinery behind me, running was not an option,so we just watched the plane hit te groung. Matter of fact, we had to "fake" a crash, so it worked out  LL~
The one I was referring to was a Red plane in the "girl" movie.  Couldn't find the "Boy" one.  Towards the front of the movie.  Plane is upside down with the cowling off and the motor is still in the plane but another one is laying next to the plane.  In any case, great work!

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2022, 08:02:27 AM »
The one I was referring to was a Red plane in the "girl" movie.  Couldn't find the "Boy" one.  Towards the front of the movie.  Plane is upside down with the cowling off and the motor is still in the plane but another one is laying next to the plane.  In any case, great work!

Ken
that probably was some "poetic" vision of the director: "add a second engine to the scene to simulate he´s working on"
as an advisor, i could tell what is right or wrong  but the scene and edition was off limits to me. Another bad edition is the plane landing and the engine sound still going on, we know it´s wrong but the public feels that is right.
thanks for the support!
the "boy" versions, seems to me the one closest to reality. Suzzane´s manipulation is beyond belief. on  jail, she "married" the innmates "boss", accused cops of sexual importunation, even turned out a prossecutor to her favor, he was shown on a TV program clearly in love with her.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2022, 09:20:06 AM »
That was the muffler laying next to the plane. From the 1 second clip, its easy to mistake it as a second engine. It was a good movie. Any exposure of control line is good exposure i suppose.

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2022, 01:39:03 PM »
I remember someone posted a like to a episode of My Three Son’s and one of the boys flew in a CL contest.
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2022, 03:54:03 PM »
I remember someone posted a like to a episode of My Three Son’s and one of the boys flew in a CL contest.

Wherein Chip Robby "tanked" the event (claiming his "bellcrank jammed") so a poor kid could win, as I recall. Model accessories courtesy the Wen-Mac Corporation!

The scene in the Hobby shop reminds you how things were when the general public cared about/respect aviation and modeling.

Brett

P. S.

Offline John Park

• Agricola
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2022, 05:34:02 AM »
In 1955, a movie for kids, called The Flying Eye, was released in Britain.  It was full of control-line models, all masquerading as R/C!  Go to Outerzone and search 'Flying Eye' for details.  I'm still looking for the full movie online (it was only about 45 minutes long), but it's fairly clear that the whole thing was, shall we say, rather quaint.
You want to make 'em nice, else you get mad lookin' at 'em!

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2022, 09:39:24 AM »
   Wherein Chip Robby "tanked" the event (claiming his "bellcrank jammed") so a poor kid could win, as I recall. Model accessories courtesy the Wen-Mac Corporation!

The scene in the Hobby shop reminds you how things were when the general public cared about/respect aviation and modeling.

Brett

The way it was.  Back in the day when even Wen Mac plastics could do overhead eights. LL~

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2022, 10:06:53 AM »
There was also and episode of some spy show (maybe a very early Danger Man or very early B+W Man From Uncle/Girl From Uncle) where there was a spy ring working out of a boys school, and one of the scenes was a contest at the school - a pretty darn big on, I want to say 2-3 circles. It was obviously shot at a real contest whether they set it up for the show, or just happened to have it as an establishing shot.

Brett

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2022, 03:15:07 PM »
    There was 2 episodes of Lassie that had model airplanes in it, and one of the show "Hazel" with Shirley Booth that was centered around a model contest. I can remember an episode of "Leave It To beaver" where Ward goes to talk to the boys and Wally is working on a stick and tissue model, sorta like a Guillows model and probably was. And another where where Beaver gets some money from his Uncle for his birthday, and one of his buddies talks him into spending it at the hobby shop where he buys a Cox Mercedes tether car, and naturally he gets into trouble with Ward, who says he should have put that money away for college!
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Richard Fleming

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2022, 05:13:42 PM »
Thanks for sharing that episode Brett. I have been watching all the old reruns of My Three Sons but never saw that one. What a classic! A great time when the the public was intrigued about aviation and space.
AMA 83080
AHRMA 9827

Offline Douglas Bykoff

• Ensign
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2023, 01:55:01 PM »
Hi all.

A friend discovered an old episode of a Brazilian series called Águias de Fogo (1967),  entirely based on Controline.

Offline Joseph Lijoi

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2023, 02:05:59 PM »
I think there is an Abbot and Costello movie where Lou is flying a 1/2 A.

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2023, 04:54:32 PM »
What we need made is a good old “Karate Kid” type plot.
Young kid U/C pilot moves to a new town where there’s an established club full of hot shot pilots. He’s not accepted by the older, more experienced club members who continually harass him and damage his models and gear.
Then an old, once top (like an ex walker cup winner) takes pity on him and takes him under his wing. He teaches the Boy to be an excellent builder and flier (the montage goes here).
The movie culminates with a contest challenge by the bully Club members and the kid wins by 2 points in round two with a flawless patten. He lands the model and now everyone accepts him into the club.

….except for one guy, who feels he got cheated and swears revenge at the next contest so we can have a sequel!
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline GallopingGhostler

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2023, 05:28:28 PM »
Control line flying on Red & Green show.  H^^

Offline Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2023, 06:59:58 PM »
What we need made is a good old “Karate Kid” type plot.
Young kid U/C pilot moves to a new town where there’s an established club full of hot shot pilots. He’s not accepted by the older, more experienced club members who continually harass him and damage his models and gear.
Then an old, once top (like an ex walker cup winner) takes pity on him and takes him under his wing. He teaches the Boy to be an excellent builder and flier (the montage goes here).
The movie culminates with a contest challenge by the bully Club members and the kid wins by 2 points in round two with a flawless patten. He lands the model and now everyone accepts him into the club.

….except for one guy, who feels he got cheated and swears revenge at the next contest so we can have a sequel!

Clint, you're on to something. But in true karate kid form, the Hollywood execs need to step in with some totally stupid, but audience appealing gimmick, like throwing the handle from one hand to the other when he gets a cramp because the bad guy put vasoline on his handle.
Now who's got the five million and I'd be happy to start on the screenplay...for a modest fee.

Offline Dwayne Donnelly

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
  • Balsa Beavers Toronto Canada
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2023, 08:03:34 PM »
Control line flying on Red & Green show.  H^^

I miss Red Green, remember I'm pulling for you, keep your stick on the ice.  ;D
My purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Offline Steve Glass

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2023, 02:14:07 PM »

Takes of the Riverbank, a UK childrens TV series.

CL and FF with a rat, a hamster and a guinea pig.

Steve

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Controlline in the movies/ AND Rock and Roll!!
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2023, 05:31:23 PM »
  This isn't the movies, but "celebrity control line" at least. The other day I was reading something about the late great Jeff Beck. Since there are a great number of guitar builders and players out there, even just on this forum, this will interest you. The interviewer got around to the inevitable question of his first guitar. Jeff hang around with his buddies at a lot of the music and record shops in the town he was from. Most didn't have the money for a guitar or any instrument, but one guys Dad was pretty well to do and bought him what he wanted. Beck was at his house admiring a guitar that he had. The guy offered to let him borrow it to see what he could do with it, as it was missing some strings and he wasn't doing anything with it. Beck gladly took him up on it and took it home for a few weeks. He didn't have enough money to get it restrung, so he did the next best thing and guess what he used!!?? You guessed it, control line model airplane flying lines!! He said it actually worked pretty well. The fact that he flew model airplanes didn't surprise me. I had read another article with an interview of Eric Clapton or one of the other guitar greats, and it was stated that Beck was the best auto mechanic in Rock and Roll!! His Dad was a aeromechanic and Jeff just fell in with that and had natural ability. He gathered quite a car collection in his time and was the Jay Leno of Rock and Roll in that respect, in that he did all the work on his own cars!! They just don't make men, or women, like this these days!!
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Advertise Here

Advertise Here