News:

• April 24, 2024, 11:59:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Control system parts  (Read 1827 times)

Offline Harold Brewer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Control system parts
« on: October 12, 2020, 11:07:56 PM »
Can some one tell me where I can find a good source for control system parts such as flap and elevator horns, push rod setups, flying lines and other items such as Tom Morris used to sell?

Best regards,

Harold Brewer

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Control system parts
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 11:15:03 PM »
Can some one tell me where I can find a good source for control system parts such as flap and elevator horns, push rod setups, flying lines and other items such as Tom Morris used to sell?

Best regards,

Harold Brewer
Okie Air took over Tom's line. y1
Link at top of page.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Harold Brewer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2020, 10:18:17 PM »
I went to the website and looked again.  There is nothing listed that contains any of the items that Tom used to sell.  The only this that I see are some planes and electric motors.  I'm getting tired of being directed here only to see nothing.  AM I THE ONLY ONE HAVING THIS ISSUE OR HAVE OTHERS SIMPLY GIVEN UP AND MOVED ON!!!

Regards,

Harold Brewer

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 10:21:39 PM »
Brodak has everything.
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline Joe Bowman

• 24 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2020, 10:38:59 PM »
Harold,  This link should open to the page where you can see all products that are offered.  I can assure you Russell is still offering all the products that Tom did plus more.  If you still have a problem with the web site call the number that is on the home page and let Russell know you are having trouble.  He will be glad to help you.  Try this link  https://okieair.com/shop

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2020, 11:27:14 PM »
Harold,  This link should open to the page where you can see all products that are offered.  I can assure you Russell is still offering all the products that Tom did plus more.  If you still have a problem with the web site call the number that is on the home page and let Russell know you are having trouble.  He will be glad to help you.  Try this link  https://okieair.com/shop
I just took a look.  Down the left side of the page is an index of parts.  It looks like all of Tom's parts are there.   y1
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Fred Quedenfeld jr

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2020, 05:57:11 AM »

Offline Kim Doherty

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2020, 10:27:47 AM »

Best regards,

Harold Brewer

Harold,

You can make just about any horn with just a hacksaw, files, a blue magic marker, a scribe, a ruler, a small square, 1/16" tool steel for single blade horns or 1/32" for double blade horns, and a drill. You would be pleasantly surprised at the level of quality that simple hand work can achieve. Total time to make an elevator horn would be less than three hours even with limited experience. The upside is that you can now make EXACTLY what you want.

Kim.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 12:20:46 PM by Kim Doherty »

Teodorico Terry

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2021, 07:30:18 AM »
I placed an order with Okie air just before Christmas and I am pretty happy with the quality of the items I received.  I ordered a 3.5" bell crank assembly along with several control horns.

Good luck,

Teo

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2021, 08:25:52 AM »
I went to the website and looked again.  There is nothing listed that contains any of the items that Tom used to sell.  The only this that I see are some planes and electric motors.  I'm getting tired of being directed here only to see nothing.  AM I THE ONLY ONE HAVING THIS ISSUE OR HAVE OTHERS SIMPLY GIVEN UP AND MOVED ON!!!

Regards,

Harold Brewer

From the home page click on SHOP located at the top of the page.  On the left side of the SHOP page is a list called Categories.  Chose a category and click on it.  This will bring up a page with the items you want.    I have used a lot of these products and they are all good.  Hope this helps.    D>K
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2021, 08:54:03 AM »
 I've had nothing but good service from Okie Air.

dg

Offline M. Scott

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2021, 06:30:14 PM »
I agree with you DG. Nothing but good things from Russell.
Mike

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2021, 08:21:30 AM »
I agree with you DG. Nothing but good things from Russell.
Mike

Ditto.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Online Guy Markham

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2021, 08:56:43 AM »
I agree with you DG. Nothing but good things from Russell.quote]

Sorry to disagree with you but I have had only negative experiences with this person and his web site. Never had any from Tom Morrison  y1
You only have to floss the teeth you want to keep!

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2021, 10:28:23 AM »
Harold,

You can make just about any horn with just a hacksaw, files, a blue magic marker, a scribe, a ruler, a small square, 1/16" tool steel for single blade horns or 1/32" for double blade horns, and a drill. You would be pleasantly surprised at the level of quality that simple hand work can achieve. Total time to make an elevator horn would be less than three hours even with limited experience. The upside is that you can now make EXACTLY what you want.

Kim.

What Kim said, except that he left out the need for a good hefty soldering iron or a torch.

I make my horns more or less the way that Kim does, except that I braze them on with an oxy-acetylene torch, and because brazing is almost as strong as a weld, I don't need to use the little reinforcing rod that he does.

Like these.  Pic. taken in 2012, and the plane has well over 500 flights on it with no control system trouble:

Well, except for these, which are silver-soldered and reinforced.  The reinforcement isn't like Kim's but it's done for the same reason:
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2021, 11:40:26 AM »
Kim is right, most of this stuff is not that hard to make yourself. The one holdup seems to be soldering or brazing skills. The "keyed" method works IF you fit the key tightly enough AND you make a *perfect* silver-bearing soft solder joint (Sta-Brite or the numerous 4% silver soft solders).   If you can melt it with a soldering iron, it *is not strong enough* for a simple hole.

I much prefer silver solder/silver braze, but that requires a torch, and will cause the metal to lose any tempering it might have.

There are numerous previous threads where the methods are described in detail, but it shouldn't be beyond anyone who can build an entire model airplane successfully.

Brett

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2021, 04:12:43 PM »
... but that requires a torch, and will cause the metal to lose any tempering it might have ...

I was worried about that when I went down the path of using "real" brass brazing (which involves heating the steel to red hot).

I'm not any more, because -- over 500 flights.  And it's on a Monocoated Twister whose wing twist regularly creeps around, so I'm constantly tweaking the flaps for trim.  So that's all the fatigue stress of 500 flights, plus maybe 50 to 100 flap-tweaking sessions.  When I did it I had no way to justify that it would actually work, except that I figured the plane wouldn't last three months before I pulverized it so the point was moot.  But -- over 500 flights...
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here