News:

• May 08, 2024, 10:58:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rick Henry is the  (Read 2137 times)

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
Rick Henry is the
« on: July 22, 2011, 03:52:39 PM »
NEW Prize Winner of this month ! ;D

You won a SIG BANSHEE

Send us your Address for shiipping

SH crew

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Rick Henry is the
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 04:02:07 PM »
Congratulations, Rick!

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Allen Brickhaus

• ACE
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 04:57:42 PM »
Could not have happened to a nicer guy.

Allen Brickhaus

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
    • Fellowship of Christan modelers
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 08:28:56 PM »
Way-to-go Rick. Now you need to tell the police chief to let you have some time off so you can build it.
We'll be flying next week at the L-pad after the WC are done for the day, give us a call.

Blessings
Allen

Offline Rick Henry

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 11:02:51 PM »
Man that is sweet.  I just came in from the garage and saw this post.  Alan, I will give you a call for sure.  I have been working on the Air Tractor (Time Machine) so it will hopefully be ready for the FCM contest.  Thanks Stunt Hanger and thanks for the kind words guys.  I will send the address.

Thanks Again

Rick Henry

Offline Rick Henry

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 07:32:09 AM »
I wasnt sure how or who to sent my info so here goes.

Rick Henry
7605 West County Rd. 1000 North
Gaston, In. 47342.

Thanks Again.
Rick

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 05:21:05 PM »
Okay Rick, now you're on the hot seat.  Ya gotta get the Banshee done in time to fly profile stunt at the FCM!  LL~
Seriously, I echo all the "good guy" sentiments and multiply it by bunches.  It's good to have you back in stunt at Muncie!
Will
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Rick Henry

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 07:50:16 PM »
I wish I could Will but I will probably have to fly the Cardinal again in profile,  I do hope to get my crop duster done so you can check it out.

Rick

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 12:43:54 PM »
That would be great, but don't rush it, whatever you do.  It won't be long now, I just hope the heat wave goes away by then!  (The old man doesn't handle it like he used to!)
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Bryan Higgins

• Commander
  • Arvada Associated Modelers Member
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 03:45:08 PM »
WTG Rick  H^^
Bryan R higgins Jr.
Arvada,Colorado
AMA#885188

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 03:56:51 PM »
Way to go Rick; Banshee's are just pretty good planes. I have built a couple, and they flew very well. They are also fun to build. I still fly the one I built back in 94.
Jim Kraft

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 04:54:36 PM »
Jim
When I got my Banshee kit Jack Sheeks marked up the plans for his recommended changes.  After I built it Jack test flew it and would not let me fly it until I got better.  He won the SIG contest with it under the name Mr. Ugly!

I can send you the changes via Email.

Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline Rick Henry

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 10:34:29 PM »
Thanks guys.  Hey Clancy that would be great. I look forward to seeing them.
ehenrygaston@aol.com

Rick Henry

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2011, 11:33:26 AM »
Rick
Email sent. Other modelers may also want to know what the suggested mods are.
Clancy

SIG Banshee Mods per Jack Sheeks
Mods I made to Mr. Ugly

Mods recommended by Jack Sheeks
1. Shorten the nose 3/4 inch.  This will require cutting the ½ inch body plank and both 1/8 Ply doublers and moving the Motor Mounts back the same amount.  This will require a 2 inch Spinner in stead of the 1 3/4 inch Spinner called out on the plans to look right.
2. Replace Stab and Elevator.  New sizes are each 22 by 3 inches tapered to 2 inches at the tips. Retain the 14 inch hinge line to hinge line spacing.
3. Modify the Outboard Flap to clear the pushrod  by removing a 1/2 x 1 inch piece from the inboard rear corner.
4. Set up the controls for a maximum of +/- 30 degrees of travel on the Flaps and Elevator.

Additional Mods I incorporated in Mr. Ugly:
1. Replace original Motor Mounts with new Mounts 3/8 x 1/2 x 11 7/8 inches.  This extends the Motor Mounts all the way to the 1/4 x 1/4 Wing Spars.  Notch the Wing Sheeting to clear the new Motor Mounts.  This requires assembling the body with the Wing installed! Use very slow set epoxy.  This Mod greatly stiffens the nose.
2. Space Motor Mounts for Engine.  Fox 35 requires 1 1/4 inch spacing.  If your engine requires a different Motor Mount spacing try to maintain the original thrust line.
3. The kit as cut fits a Fox 35, extend the cutout in the 1/2 body plank to 4 3/4 inches behind the engine.  This will then allow for a 3/4 inch space between the engine and the Fuel Tank and allow the tank to be recessed into the body for better fuel feed.  Note: Mine had a standard 1 x 2 x 4 inch Square Wedge Uniflow Tank.  
4. Modify the outboard 1/8 Ply Doubler to clear the engine.  Move back 3/ 4 inch and then cut out the area between Motor Mounts for the1 x 2 x 4 Fuel Tank leaving a little clearance for installing the tank. When ready to assemble the body, insert a 3/ 4 x 1? balsa block to fill in between the engine cutout and the Fuel Tank cutout between the Motor Mounts.

How did Mr. Ugly get it's name?  
I wanted to learn how to fly the stunt pattern.  My flying friend Jack Sheeks said  that if I built a good stunt  model he would coach me through the learning process.  In the spring of 1988 I bought a SIG Banshee kit from Jack Sheeks Hobby Shop and Jack marked up the plans with the changes he recommended.  I built the model with Jack's recommendations and some personal ideas.  So that I would know any problems I had flying the pattern would be me and not the model I asked Jack to test fly it first.  Jack took it off and did a couple of easy maneuvers and then flew it level for 6 laps.  At this point I assumed it was way off!  Not so!  Jack proceeded to fly a full pattern that even I could identify each maneuver.

When the fuel ran out Jack landed it and told me I could NOT fly my model until he said so.  Back to the Nobler.  Later that summer Jack took my model to the SIG CL contest and entered it in stunt.  Remember this was only to be a stunt trainer for me so I used available material I had on hand to finish the model.  Orange iron on covering for the wing, tail feathers and to mark out the canopy.  The rest of the body was painted with flat camouflage tan dope left over from a scale military model.  Yes, Bright Orange wing and tail with a flat Tan body.  The other contestants started teasing Jack about his UGLY model.  Jack said they would be calling it Mr. Ugly before the weekend was over and took a black marker and wrote Mr. Ugly on the wing.  After he won they called it Mr. Ugly!  Jack took it back the next year and two of the three judges had him in first place again.  He asked the third judge what was wrong with his flight and the answer was “A profile body model cannot turn like a full body stunt model can,”  Jacks reply was That one can.” In 1990 Jack took it back for the third time and got some bad air and crashed.  I never got to fly my Banshee(k).
Clancy

Revision in Red.
Clancy
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 11:52:28 AM by Clancy Arnold »
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline W.D. Roland

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2011, 02:18:03 PM »
The BANSHEE is excellent airplane!
David Roland

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2011, 07:39:38 AM »
Great story Clancy.  Makes me think of the last year I flew Int at SIG contest.  Had so many entries they moved us that had completed the first round to another circle.  They wanted to get started on the Adv and Exp flyers.  At that point I had a good point lead over my competitors.   Second flight my score went way down after everybody telling me what a great pattern I had put in.  One of the judges scored me way lower than the other judge and my competitors higher.  One in particular had bottoms at 10-15 feet and maneuvers all over the place.  After the contest I asked the judge why he scored me so low.  Was told he didn't like the looks of my plane.  Did not bother the event director.   Just vowed not to fly stunt at that contest again.   Same with carrier at another contest which is another story.  D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Rick Henry

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2011, 11:17:24 AM »
Thanks for the E-mail Clancy and thanks to Stunt Hanger and Randy Smith.  The kit came Friday and my youngest son Noah is already asking to start building it.  I told him as soon as I finish my Time Machine/Air Tractor we will get started.

Thanks Again
Rick Henry

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here