News:

• April 23, 2024, 08:10:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Control Line Lines  (Read 1431 times)

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Control Line Lines
« on: February 16, 2019, 10:14:44 PM »
So, I just looked at a local hobby shop online for a set of lines, and I was shocked at what I saw. $40 CAD for a set of lines.  To me I thought it was a bit pricy, although I do not need .018 lines, and that is all they had. All I am looking for is a set of .012 x 52 lines to use occasionally on my .09 and .15 sized 'Platters'. Does anyone happen to know where I might be able to find a set of lines a bit cheaper in Canada, or is this the new going rate? I guess I was kind of caught off guard as until now, I have just flown 1/2a and I have been using the braided fishing line. Thanks.

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Control Line Lines
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 10:20:08 PM »
Tom Morris on stunt hanger hobbies. Usually bout 20 or so bucks. Made ready to fly.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Peter Grabenstein

• 2020 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 10:40:47 PM »
MBS can help you too.

http://mbsmodelsupply.com/

12 days speedy handling incl. ship. over the Pond.

H^^
Peter
I hate pessimists, I prefer optimists.
Impossible is done immediately, miracles take longer.
I don't care who your father is ......... as long as I fly here,
Nobody walks, runs, floats or flies across my circle ......... not even to fetch fish, wine or bread.

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 11:37:08 PM »
Hi Chancey,

I can also recommend MBS for good line, but for your Platter and .09 stuff I would stick to fishing braid, especially the good one like Spiderwire. I use 30lb. on my .15 size models including the slow combat wings. If you get tangled up you don't get those coils like in cable lines.

Keith R
Keith R

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 08:50:30 AM »
Thanks for the links and help. I looked at MBS but only saw 1000' spools, and unfortunately, one set of lines at roughly 100', would last me a lifetime for the amount of flying I do. The Tom Morris lines look good, however, I have not yet gotten my e-mail that will allow me to see the shipping options yet. And as was mentioned by Keith, about the fishing line. I was honestly wondering about that, but did not mention it. I do have all good quality fishing lines at my disposal, and I do all of my flying solo at the lake, so there is not much to worry about in getting tangled. So thanks all again for your time and help.

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 10:02:58 AM »
If you are just sport flying on .15 sized platters go get a roll of Power Pro Spectra fishing line. If the model is under 40ozs the 40lb test would be equal to .012 steel lines. Here is an excellent video of the knot done by Mike Stinson. 
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Online Brad LaPointe

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2019, 10:48:50 AM »
Chancy,
Check out Aerohobby.ca .Yaro serves the combat crowd and sells premade lines . F2D lines are .015 by a little over 52’ , .018 x 60’ slow combat . Ask for stainless. Great Hobbies seems to be getting out of u/c . If you want a link go to the Balsa Beavers site .

Brad LaPointe
MAAC 5418 L

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2019, 11:13:40 AM »
Thanks again for teh help. Yes, just plain old fun sport flying would be what I am doing. I think I have some 40 or 50 pound test line here, but if not, I know where I can get me some! Thanks for teh video too. Now off to look at the site mentioned. I looked at Great Hobbies too. I agree, they seem to be getting out of a lot of stuff.

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2019, 02:14:27 PM »
Hi Chancey,

I sent an email regarding lines.

Offline Dalton Hammett

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2019, 04:36:23 PM »
Just want to add a note in favor of the Tom Morris  lines,  you receive them exactly the length and line size you ask for and they are ready to go.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 06:33:28 AM by Dalton Hammett »
Dalton Hammett  
Albion, Pa.
Bean Hill Flyers
AMA  29918

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here