News:

• April 27, 2024, 02:58:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How a Venturi works video  (Read 1085 times)

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
How a Venturi works video
« on: July 05, 2021, 12:40:42 AM »

Hope this link works, still figuring out how to copy and paste on this tablet. This is really a video on carburators but it also does a great job of showing how a Venturi works.

Offline Claudio Chacon

• Captain
Re: How a Venturi works video
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 12:52:03 PM »
This is a very enlightening video, Bob!

Thank you very much for posting it!

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2021, 10:07:14 AM »
Hwy Bob
Way Cool ... enjoyed watching ... thanks for postng

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2021, 09:24:21 PM »
So any form of restriction before the jet richens the mixture and any form  of restriction after the jet leans it out?
Following that it would seem that layers of nylon stocking or a filter over a model engine Venturi acts as a choke and by default richens the mixture.
Chris.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Jim Hoffman

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2021, 01:55:04 AM »
Chris, that would be correct if the stocking material were added AFTER the mixture had been set by the needle valve.  In our models the mixture is set with the stocking in place.

Great video
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 09:01:09 AM by Jim Hoffman »

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2021, 03:23:26 AM »
Thanks, Bob. Great video!

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2021, 11:17:46 PM »
great video on how  a  carburetor  works !

Randy

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2021, 08:06:44 PM »
I particularly like when it shows that a single peripheral jet that is flush with the ID of the venturi actually ejects the fuel deep into the airflow and then gets atomised (literally smashed) by the incoming airflow.
To wit, the fuel is not dribbled down the throat and it is not atomised as it leaves the jet.
It's purely shredded mid stream by the air pulse when the valve opens.
Kinda puts to bed theories on spigots being better on the basis of atomisation.
Chris.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2021, 11:46:35 PM »
Someone needs to build it with the ability to swap in different Venturi configurations. Problem is coming with the high speed camera.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2021, 11:38:41 AM »
So any form of restriction before the jet richens the mixture ... ?
Following that it would seem that layers of nylon stocking or a filter over a model engine Venturi acts as a choke and by default richens the mixture.
Chris.

Kind of a different take on what Jim Hoffman said:

If you get your engine all adjusted without a filter and then put a filter on -- yes.  But you generally tweak the needle after such a mod, so things work out OK.

... and any form  of restriction after the jet leans it out ...

In theory, no, because more restriction after the venturi means less airflow, means less gas pulled from the bowl.  In practice -- have you ever rebuilt a carburetor?  Get one apart, or look at a diagram of the main jets, the auxilliary jets, the power pump, etc.  There's a lot going on in an automotive carburetor that makes sure that it does a good job of delivering the correct mixture at any given time, and even then a carburetor doesn't do nearly as good as a good electronic fuel injection at calculating just exactly the right amount of gas to put into the airstream for any condition.

Simple carburetors for lawn mowers or for model airplane engines get by with simpler arrangements because, first, you just run the thing a bit rich, and, second, at least for much of control line usage you're not changing the engine speed much.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2021, 11:40:07 AM »
Apparently if things had worked out a bit differently three years ago at my current job, I'd be working with that guy.  He worked at the parent to the company I work at, and was seriously considering coming on as a founding member -- then he got other work.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2021, 12:26:57 PM »
I particularly like when it shows that a single peripheral jet that is flush with the ID of the venturi actually ejects the fuel deep into the airflow and then gets atomised (literally smashed) by the incoming airflow.
To wit, the fuel is not dribbled down the throat and it is not atomised as it leaves the jet.
It's purely shredded mid stream by the air pulse when the valve opens.
Kinda puts to bed theories on spigots being better on the basis of atomisation.

It is not a theory, we have observed the "dribble" effect on flush inlets on multiple occasions.

This particular demo has the same problem as all static runs/tests, in that there isn't a 60 mph relative wind 1/2" from one end hitting the inlet at various angles. I think everyone agrees that in the conditions of the experiment it works as shown, but it has the same simplifications that ignores the real issues in real stunt venturies. In fact, if you test it on a flow bench it will work better, no one disputes that. Neither the theory nor the tests address the problems we are trying to solve.

I have no stake in what venturi you run, but if looking at one video of one highly-stylized case is enough to induce you to naysay literally decades of careful experimentation, and effectively call people like David, Frank, and I fools, then I don't care to address it any further.

It *is* a classic case of someone with a small amount of information jumping to a wild conclusion, but that it hardly a new phenomenon in stunt.

Brett

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2021, 10:42:15 PM »
Brett, I am keen to see video evidence of a 60mph wind at all angles demonstrated.
You also have no idea of the amount of a information that I have seen, you have based that conclusion on one reply in one thread but as you say it's nothing new.
Chris.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 11:08:26 PM by Chris Wilson »
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2021, 03:05:31 PM »
Pretty much what I witnessed with an MVVS 40 that had 4 peripheral jets.
The fuel stream needed convincing to leave its central position.
Chris.
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2021, 03:19:14 PM »
Absolutely correct.
Condensation is an anethma to atomisation.
As soon as a measure of fuel leaves the jet it wants to ball into the smallest possible area, then it gets hit with the atomic sneeze of intake, and  impacts onto the spinning surface of a 10,000rpm centrifuge called the crank shaft, then thrown at high speed at the back plate, then whirled around again in an even bigger centrifuge called the big end and finally shuttled up the transfer ports .
Every one of those actions dilutes the intention of jet atomising the fuel as condensation from each of those events is far more vicious.
I believe that most of the atomisation in model two stroke is done when the transfer first cracks open under high pressure and that the jets true role is one of a simple metering device.
Chris.
MAAA AUS 73427

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here