News:

• April 23, 2024, 08:00:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Control Horns  (Read 2411 times)

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
Control Horns
« on: March 04, 2023, 04:47:55 PM »
Dan Winship and I went to a local laser cutter to find out how much it would cost to cut control horn blanks 1/16" 4130 steel. We have someone who can do the job but I need $1200 to get it started. That does not include the 1/8 and 3/32 dowl rod - Map gas and silver solder. So if there is anyone or a number of people who would like to sponsor this endeavor Donate here.

Add in the notes Horns
AMA 12366

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
Re: Control Horns
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2023, 05:57:42 AM »
I guess there is no one interested in getting high-quality control horns I just figured if we crowd-soured this it would not be a substantial outlay for me. Spread out amongst the many who need them.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 06:33:39 AM by RC Storick »
AMA 12366

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2023, 07:39:47 AM »
Maybe the no response is an indication of the current administration's fiscal policies. 
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2023, 10:03:01 AM »
Maybe the no response is an indication of the current administration's fiscal policies.

Don't I know LGB
AMA 12366

Offline Paul Wescott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2023, 12:23:00 PM »
Dan Winship and I went to a local laser cutter to find out how much it would cost to cut control horn blanks 1/16" 4130 steel. We have someone who can do the job but I need $1200 to get it started. That does not include the 1/8 and 3/32 dowl rod - Map gas and silver solder. So if there is anyone or a number of people who would like to sponsor this endeavor Donate here.

Add in the notes Horns

How many horns will you get for $1200?
What shape will the horns be?
How much more $$$ will you ask for to cover Dowel Rods (music wire?), Mapp Gas, Silver Solder, Labor??

Bottom line: How many finished assemblies will a donor receive for a donation?

Robert maybe you should do the math up front like Brian Gardner does.  Tell us what your minimum quantity order is, and the price you need to charge, and take pre-order commitments.  When you achieve commitments equaling your minimum quantity, collect the money, place the order, receive the laser-cut parts, fabricate the assemblies, ship the product.  Easy-Peasy LOL

Paul

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2023, 02:06:10 PM »
It would take 100 horns at $20.00 each to break even.
AMA 12366

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2023, 02:31:26 PM »
It would take 100 horns at $20.00 each to break even.

If  Dan is assembling them, count me in for 10!

Offline Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2023, 09:13:46 PM »
If you make double horns I would be interested.
Bill Morell
It wasn't that you could and others couldn't, its that you did and others didn't.
Vietnam 72-73
  Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Online spare_parts

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2023, 09:51:07 AM »
Did you quote anywhere else at all? sendcutsend.com is easy.
Greg

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2023, 12:20:38 PM »
We have someone who can do the job but I need $1200 to get it started.

Is that the minimum order or is it a setup fee?

ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2023, 01:41:27 PM »
Is that $20 for a compete horn assembly or just the laser cut steel piece?

« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 03:13:33 PM by Brent Williams »
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2023, 02:06:58 PM »
If  Dan is assembling them, count me in for 10!
If Paul's conditions are met, Ill take 4.  That's 14 of the initial 100 spoken for

Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline Jim Hoffman

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2023, 02:26:34 PM »
I’m with Messrs Dowler and Walker. I’ll take ten @ $20 each if they’re brazed complete with the Winship quality I have seen years ago

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2023, 02:39:05 PM »
   I'll add that it would be best to know exactly what is being offered for the price such as how complete and the specs for the horn and assembly. Also, since it is in his line of work, maybe Okie Air would be interested in parts , if that is one of the problems he has keeping up, and that is getting parts from his supplier.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2023, 05:52:35 PM »
Sparky,
 Im in for 5 flap, 5 ele.

Tom
AMA 13001

Offline greg meyer

• Ensign
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2023, 09:27:07 AM »
i will be in for for 2 of each Greg Meyer

Offline George Grossardt

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2023, 03:20:09 PM »
I’m in for at least one set.

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2023, 04:40:08 PM »
Hi Sparky:

Need more information. Will all the horns be on 1/8 inch wire? Will there be double uprights or single? What is the distance from the center of the wire to the upper pushrod attach point? Will we be able to get custom wire lengths between the wire parts that go into the flaps and elevators. Will there be both flap and elevator specific horns? Will the elevator horns come with the sliders for adjustment? Will the elevator horns be "dog legged" or straight? How much adjustment will be available in the elevator slider (how close to the bottom of the stabilizer can the adjustment travel)?

I'd order five of each (elevator and flap horns) at the quoted price (maybe more) if I can get some answers to the above questions. I'm certain that many of the people who build at my shop woud also order multiples if we can get what we want.

I'll second what others have said here about having Dan assemble them; his horns (of which I still have a few...) were absolute jewelry quality. I've been hoping Dan would go back into production. When the word get out that he is again producing horns, the stunt world will beat a path to his door. Remember, not all stunt fliers visit this forum on a regular basis, so many of them who might be very interested in this offer don't even know about it yet.

Thanks - Bob Hunt

Offline George Grossardt

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2023, 06:32:33 PM »
Hi Sparky:

Need more information. Will all the horns be on 1/8 inch wire? Will there be double uprights or single? What is the distance from the center of the wire to the upper pushrod attach point? Will we be able to get custom wire lengths between the wire parts that go into the flaps and elevators. Will there be both flap and elevator specific horns? Will the elevator horns come with the sliders for adjustment? Will the elevator horns be "dog legged" or straight? How much adjustment will be available in the elevator slider (how close to the bottom of the stabilizer can the adjustment travel)?

I'd order five of each (elevator and flap horns) at the quoted price (maybe more) if I can get some answers to the above questions. I'm certain that many of the people who build at my shop woud also order multiples if we can get what we want.

I'll second what others have said here about having Dan assemble them; his horns (of which I still have a few...) were absolute jewelry quality. I've been hoping Dan would go back into production. When the word get out that he is again producing horns, the stunt world will beat a path to his door. Remember, not all stunt fliers visit this forum on a regular basis, so many of them who might be very interested in this offer don't even know about it yet.

Thanks - Bob Hunt

Great questions Bob.  Depending on answers, I think getting to the minimum wouldn’t be that hard.

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2023, 06:53:59 AM »
Hi Sparky:

Thanks - Bob Hunt

Bob,
Sparky answered most of these questions in one of his Stunthanger videos.
I think what needs to be remembered is this is in its infancy and Sparky still has not relocated to St Louis. I don't think anything will happen until then.

Some simple answers are. The horns will be single, not double. They will be 1/8" and/or 3/32". The wire will not come bent to individual requirements. I believe the flap horns will have a, "Dog Leg". The original plan was for elevator horns to be adjustable but sourcing parts and the associated expense has to be resolved. I believe he said the adjustment was to be from 3/4" to 1"? I don't recall a flap hole height, perhaps this could be variable??

I hope this helps
Craig
Ps. Good point regarding the exposure, I will follow up social media options with Robert.
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2023, 09:52:37 AM »
Is it 4130 steel really required? I'm not an engineer, but know it'd cost a lot more than 1018, which seems to me would work fine and might be easier to source. I would suggest being cautious about where either is made.  y1 Steve   
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2023, 01:12:57 PM »
No doubles? I'm out.
Bill Morell
It wasn't that you could and others couldn't, its that you did and others didn't.
Vietnam 72-73

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2023, 07:17:41 PM »
No doubles? I'm out.

That’s not what they mean by “stunt double”, Bill. That’s something else.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2023, 06:30:45 AM »
That’s not what they mean by “stunt double”, Bill. That’s something else.

Ok, hahaha!
Bill Morell
Vietnam 72-73

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here