News:

• April 25, 2024, 05:09:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Concrete centers at AMA ?  (Read 1658 times)

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Fellowship of Christan modelers
Concrete centers at AMA ?
« on: September 20, 2021, 12:20:24 PM »
Seeking your suggestions on the permanent centerpiece for the 600x600 grass area at AMA. I will be meeting with two AMA officers to discuss this issue on Thursday afternoon.

PM ONLY. I will not discuss it here openly. Topics seem to go off course.
fcm95@comcast.net

Blessings

Offline Paul Wescott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Concrete centers at AMA ?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2021, 01:21:53 PM »
85' radius

A concrete center with a radius of 85’ would be 840 22,700 square feet of concrete.  I think that’s a little bit of overkill for a simple concrete center.  Plus expensive, and difficult to dome it properly so the water runs off…

PW
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 12:07:18 AM by Paul Wescott »

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2021, 02:03:55 PM »
A concrete center with a radius of 85’ would be 840 square feet of concrete.  I think that’s a little bit of overkill for a simple concrete center.  Plus expensive, and difficult to dome it properly so the water runs off…

PW
Actually I think it is more like 23,000 sq' of surface.  Anyway that was obviously a joke.  I will PM my ideas as requested.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
    • Fellowship of Christan modelers
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 01:38:38 PM »
It seems someone told AMA you guys wanted a full-size circle, not just a 14ft center circle where the pilots will stand. Well that ain’t going to happen. Unless someone out there has six figures to donate. I’m not interested in going forward with this.
Blessings

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2021, 01:56:04 PM »
Seeking your suggestions on the permanent centerpiece for the 600x600 grass area at AMA. I will be meeting with two AMA officers to discuss this issue on Thursday afternoon.

PM ONLY. I will not discuss it here openly. Topics seem to go off course.
fcm95@comcast.net

Blessings
Apparently it goes off course whether or not we discuss it here.  Why would someone asking for a full circle stop discussions for a center pad?

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2021, 02:00:56 PM »
It seems someone told AMA you guys wanted a full-size circle, not just a 14ft center circle where the pilots will stand. Well that ain’t going to happen. Unless someone out there has six figures to donate. I’m not interested in going forward with this.
Blessings

Well, you know things like this go. You mention one little thing,  and stuff goes way off on a tangent! I don't know how many circles are laid out in that area, but a 10 foot diameter center pad per circle will be plenty. We restored the center pads for the carrier circle here at Buder Park, if you remember seeing them from you visit last September. The largest one was 9 ft. , made that diameter because that is what the original was, and I think the material costs were in the $500 range, maybe less, and we did the work. Well, some of us did! The parks department was only worried about mowing the grass and didn't want anything high above the grass. We laid out the forms to be about 6 inches above the surrounding grade, put a piece of pipe in the center to match that elevation or a fuzz higher, put gravel in the base up to the bottom of the anticipated 4" thick pad, then poured concrete, mixing 80 pound bags of QuickCrete as we went using a rented mixer. You could put some re-enforcing wire in it if you want but note really necessary for people to stand on it. Used a 2 by 4 to strike off the cement even with the tops of the forms and the center pipe, troweled that a little bit, edged it with an edger when it was ready, then broomed it off a bit. When we took the forms off a week or so later, we back filled with dirt up to the edge of the pad and raked that level out to about 4 or 5 feet from the edge of the pad. Grass grew back, they can mow right over the edge, and water doesn't puddle on it. It's a simple process as long as you don't have too many chiefs and not enough Indians! Something like this can be done pretty cheaply even hiring out the job

Type at you later,
     Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2021, 02:08:18 PM »
An 85' radius circle 4" deep would be about $30K, just for the concrete, about 280 yards, about 28 trucks.  And that's wholesale without any gravel, site work, finishing work, rebar, etc.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2021, 03:58:42 PM »
An 85' radius circle 4" deep would be about $30K, just for the concrete, about 280 yards, about 28 trucks.  And that's wholesale without any gravel, site work, finishing work, rebar, etc.

He's talking about center pads, NOT complete circles. Just something that the pilot can stand on with good footing if the grass gets wet, and that the maintenance guys can mow around.

Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2021, 06:18:45 PM »
Great for combat pilots too, and you want the grass surround. They won’t fly over cement or asphalt.

We are trying to get permission to put a couple of combat cement centers at Whittier Narrows where we have two combat circles, a carrier deck, two main circles and a speed cage. There is also one of two in the country tether speed car tracks complete with cage enclosure and electric timers.

The goal is to maybe have the world champs here in So.Cal. Best weather for flying in the world?
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2021, 06:56:28 PM »
The goal is to maybe have the world champs here in So.Cal. Best weather for flying in the world?
World Champs of what?
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2021, 02:07:38 PM »
Well David and Kevin laid our center circle .  I did the observation and got a couple of flights before the old man went sour.  What is the center section for FAI competition.  It doesn't have to support heavy high way traffic, does it?
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2021, 02:58:28 PM »
How was the mixer powered?  Small generator?

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2021, 03:02:50 PM »
Kevin had all the power equipment and tools.  Nothng like portable power equipment. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2021, 03:35:04 PM »
Ours is five feet diameter which is generally fine,  though I step off it occasionally.  Still SO much better than before we had it.  Kevin is a plumber and so already had the mixer.  You can rent them though.  I got five or six five gallon jugs for water and hauled them and the concrete mix out on the mower trailer.  Material cost for our pad was about $250.00.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here