News:

• March 28, 2024, 10:25:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Comet Model News Movie  (Read 2382 times)

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Comet Model News Movie
« on: April 11, 2018, 07:08:02 PM »
I posted this in the OTS Forum, Dan Mcentee  suggested it should be in the main forum - and he is probably right.  Comet models is one of our early companies, and Carl Goldberg joined them as a young aero modeling "super star"

I had never seen this before, but some of you SAM guys might have(?).  It is a 15 minute documentary on the early days of Comet models made by the daughter of Comet's west coast leader.  Some cool old pix & movies. Some of the movie clips are also in color which would have been extremely rare in that time frame. About halfway through there is a clip of a free flight corkscrewing up and leaving a beautiful smoke trail against a blue sky.   Some clips of Carl Goldberg, including one of him launching his Valkyrie.  This airplane was lost at the NATs in Detroit in 1937(?), last seen circling over Canada.  Really begs the question, where did it end up...

If the link does not work, then google "Comet Model News Movie" and it should take you to the site.  The movie link is shown near the bottom of the page...

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Joseph Patterson

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA member- Supporter
Re: Comet Model News Movie
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 07:48:36 PM »
    Thanks Dennis- I really enjoyed that so much.
        Doug

Online Jim Hoffman

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 09:21:21 PM »
Nice film. thx for sharing

I did not realize they were involved in making ID training models during the war.

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 08:02:27 AM »
Really cool.
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline George Albo

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 08:31:52 AM »
I posted this in the OTS Forum, Dan Mcentee  suggested it should be in the main forum - and he is probably right.  Comet models is one of our early companies, and Carl Goldberg joined them as a young aero modeling "super star"

I had never seen this before, but some of you SAM guys might have(?).  It is a 15 minute documentary on the early days of Comet models made by the daughter of Comet's west coast leader.  Some cool old pix & movies. Some of the movie clips are also in color which would have been extremely rare in that time frame. About halfway through there is a clip of a free flight corkscrewing up and leaving a beautiful smoke trail against a blue sky.   Some clips of Carl Goldberg, including one of him launching his Valkyrie.  This airplane was lost at the NATs in Detroit in 1937(?), last seen circling over Canada.  Really begs the question, where did it end up...

If the link does not work, then google "Comet Model News Movie" and it should take you to the site.  The movie link is shown near the bottom of the page...

Thank you for posting this. It was a joy to watch. Very cool
Darkness is dispelled with acts of kindness and selfless good deeds.

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 09:23:04 AM »
Loved it, wish I had saved all those Comet models I built as a kid - I could plaster my shop walls with them!
Thanks Denny!
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Online Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 09:43:58 AM »
That was a great film! I could watch stuff like that all day!

And to think I had one of those black plastic (?) P-39 (I think it was) ID models.......  Yea, I played with it and beat the crap out of it, but what was a 6 year old supposed to do?  HB~>

Jerry

Offline Walter Hicks

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 01:29:52 PM »
Thank you great stuff :)

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 02:09:51 PM »
Thanks Dennis. There are many of those old films on you-tube, but you kind of have to search them out. Several on the R/C groups old timer site. Some from early NATS where control line, free flight, and early R/C was flown. Ground based transmitters. Maybe I am getting old, (count on it) but I love the old stuff and the old days of freedom we had. We flew control line in the city park. Or on ball diamonds. Now most are gated.

I spent many hours building stick and tissue models in our garage before I was 10 years old. Just dreaming of the day I could have an engine like the big boys at the park had. Now I have all those old ignition engines I use to drool over at the local hobby shop. Just got done running a couple of them on my test stand in the back yard. An Orwick and a Super Cyclone. So when I came in and saw the video it was perfect timing.
Jim Kraft

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 04:52:15 PM »
I like the part where people were building little solid "identification" models during WWII.  I was one of them!  In 1943, I was a CubScout.  We were given plans and wood to build I.D. models for the local Civil Defense Force so they could identify and  report invading Japanese planes coming to Los Angeles!

I made several; mainly because they were to be painted black, with no difficult paint jobs.

We never actually saw any Japanese planes over Los Angeles, but we did have a few air raid alerts, where someone thought they saw something!
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 05:20:32 PM »
Nice film. thx for sharing

I did not realize they were involved in making ID training models during the war.

Hi Jim;
    Like Floyd mentioned, school kids were a big part of the war effort in this respect in the first few years of the war. I have several of the "text books" from the program in my personal library. I hope to actually carve some of them some day! The really collectible and valuable ID models are the hard rubber version made later on in the war. The models refereed to as "plastic" were probably the hard rubber models. Companies like Auburn Rubber Toy Company and Sun Rubber Toy company had been in business since well before the war and I'll bet they were involved in the production as they already had the technology to produce the molds and mass produce the items. I have a friend who is an expert of Auburn rubber toys and will ask him about that.
  In my free flight days, I was mentored by a great gentleman named Carl Fries, who was the co-founder of the National Free Flight Society. He was originally from Chicago, I believe and personally knew Carl Goldberg, Wally Simmers of K&S and most of the others back then. He told me that Carl Goldberg was pretty much like a rock star at contests back then. I forget the consecutive number of NATS he participated in by making at least one official flight right up to when he passed away. Great history, and if you don't like this, you don't like corn bread! y1 y1
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2018, 05:36:06 PM »
Very interesting video. I liked Carl's trailer for models. And I had never known about the kids making the ID models. What material did the kids use to make them? Was it a hardwood for durability, or balsa for easy and quick carving?

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2018, 06:51:16 PM »
Yes. Carl Goldberg attended every Nats.  He was proud of that record!

We lived near Chicago back in 1961-62.  I was experimenting with R/C (mostly home-made radios) at that time. 

Only once, Goldberg arrived at the field when I was there.  He was testing a new Shoestring R/C model.  I wanted to go over and meet him, but by the time I was between flights, Carl had already gone.

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2018, 07:53:39 PM »
Very interesting video. I liked Carl's trailer for models. And I had never known about the kids making the ID models. What material did the kids use to make them? Was it a hardwood for durability, or balsa for easy and quick carving?

Balsa was considered a strategic material and limits placed on it, so that almost all of the kit makers at that time used other materials to varying levels of success. Megow had their 'Jap Slapper" campaign where the larger free flight kits featured bass, spruce and other harder, heavier woods. That is exactly what ot was called in the magazine advertisements. The solid scale models used mostly clear pine, I believe, the lesser grades of wood that lumber mills usually scrapped, but were useful for the smaller solid scale models. Some details in the regular kits used lead or white metal cast parts for props, wheels, exhaust stacks and such. The black ID models didn't have that kind of detail, as Floyd mentioned, where just painted flat black but had accurate outlines.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2018, 08:10:18 PM »

Great little film, thanks!

Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2018, 08:46:58 PM »
Ah, yes...REAL model building...before R/C and drones ruined it all for us.

Wish we could turn back the clock, but alas.....

FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline ptg

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2018, 03:20:12 PM »
Dennis, thanks for posting this. It brings back memories of how I had the truly good fortune to meet Carl Goldberg. It's a bit of a shaggy dog story but I'll get to the good part as quick as I can.

In 1969 I bought my dream car a 1969 GTO Judge on my 21st birthday. It was then and probably is still the only factory black Judge, all others were orange. I had planned to drive to the Nats in Willow Grove with another modeler who ended canceling at the last minute.  I was determined to go so I bought a plane ticket on United, the airline of choice modelers traveling to contests. Problem was I had no box for my stunt plane. Undaunted my I loaded my plane, toolbox and small suitcase into my girlfriends car and off we went to LAX. On arrival at the check in counter I was told the obvious. No way was that plane going in the passenger cabin. After lengthy discussions with various United officials a plan emerged to put my plane in the cargo hold as the last item to be loaded and they would use blankets to carefully pack it.

I remember sitting on the plane in a window seat to watch as my stunt ship was carried out and carefully loaded into the cargo hold. No way would anything remotely similar happen today!

Quite an adventure so far but it's only half over! I arrived at Philadelphia International Airport after sweating off 10 lbs (in those days I couldn't afford to lose 10lbs) worrying if my plane would make it in one piece. I was in for 3 big surprises! First, the plane arrived and was hand delivered to me in baggage claim without a scratch. I grabbed a cart for my suitecase and flight box and proceed to the car rental counter holding my shinny stunter in one hand. Surprise #2; I had never rented a car and was told I needed a credit card. As I presented cash  and persisted in vain trying to convince the car rental agent that cash was better than plastic, I noticed a man in a suit & tie patiently waiting looking at me and my plane occasionally smiling at my predicament. Realizing I would never ever convince the agent to release a car my expression changed from 'there's gotta be a way to, oh s*#t what do I do now??? Then came the third surprise. The patient man in the suit next to me said "do you need a ride"? I said, are you going to the Nats in Willow Grove? He said yes, I said Wow, I sure do! I said I'm Phil Granderson, he responded, Hi, I'm Carl Goldberg. I said, THE CARL GOLDBERG! He chuckled and said, nice to meet you Phil.

I'm sure we talked during the ride but all I can remember is "I'm riding to the Nats with CARL GOLDBERG! ...yeah, I really am!

P.S. Gave the plane to someone at Nats rather the attempting to get it home, don't recall who.
PT Granderson

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2018, 06:49:49 PM »
Cool story ptg!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2018, 08:12:49 PM »
ptg
THAT is one of the great stories of all time! (except the part about having to leave the airplane behind...)
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2018, 01:25:18 PM »
That was fantastic,thanks so much for sharing!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2018, 03:56:06 PM »
That is one great story Phil. I remember meeting you at a Lake Charles NATS the day your luggage arrive at the dorm rooms at three in the morning.   At least that was the time my team mate said it was.  I miss the dorms at the NATS. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here