News:

• April 18, 2024, 06:23:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cloth Hinges  (Read 1797 times)

Offline Zuriel Armstrong

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Cloth Hinges
« on: June 13, 2006, 12:18:36 PM »
Last night I installed the flaps on my new plane and used Tom Morris' dacron hinges.  It was really pretty easy to do and I liked the results.  The plane has 585 sq/in wing and will use an LA 46 for power.  Why are these hinges not used more often?  Does it not look modern enough or is their some issue with them that makes the undesirable.  Also is there a size or motor limit using cloth hinges?
Zuriel Armstrong
AMA 20932

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Re: Cloth Hinges
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 01:15:57 PM »
Only reason I don't use cloth is I like to finish the flaps and elevators off the airplane. Except for that I believe there are good reasons to use cloth.

Offline Zuriel Armstrong

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 01:45:41 PM »
Howdy Ty,

The wing is not installed yet and I used thinned dope to adhere the hinges.  They will almost disappear when covered.  I thought it was just too easy.

Hey Bob,

Are you coming to Dallas this weekend?  I hope to see you there.
Zuriel Armstrong
AMA 20932

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 02:22:43 PM »
Zuriel,

Get-er-dunn!!!! f~

Post some pictures if you get a chance. I know you are pressed for time.

Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 03:00:15 PM »
Hey Bob,

Are you coming to Dallas this weekend?  I hope to see you there.

Apreciate the thought but have allot of things going on in my life right now and am lucky to be able to get to the Tulsa field.. Hoping all this will be over by next season and I can get back in the grove.. The rust is showing with the last two years taking it's toll on my flying time but I'll be back  ;D

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 10:09:03 PM »
Last night I installed the flaps on my new plane and used Tom Morris' dacron hinges.  It was really pretty easy to do and I liked the results.  The plane has 585 sq/in wing and will use an LA 46 for power.  Why are these hinges not used more often?  Does it not look modern enough or is their some issue with them that makes the undesirable.  Also is there a size or motor limit using cloth hinges?

Actually a certain World Champion has used them on 60 piped planes.  No reason not to.

The flaps can still be installed after the wing in glued in.  Many people do not cover the wing before they install it.  Anyways, an I-beam airplane's wing can't be covered before the wing is installed if you buid it in the traditional manner.

I love 'em and use them all the time.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Mike Clark

• Lets get together and burn some fuel!
  • ACE
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 09:41:26 AM »
Hi Guys,
I use both!

All my classic ships sport the dacron hinge method and most of my modern stunt ships use klett hinges. It's not a question of ability, no both systems are more than adquite for the task at hand, if installed properly!

The newer stunt ship wings wll have more of a clean cut look with the diamond edge of the flap leading edge connect to the wings trailing edge, with hinges.

Most of my classic ships that I fly have nice rounded edges.  That lends itself to rounded trailing edges on the wing and flaps which is what is needed for the application of dacron hinges. I guess it's more of a LOOK thang than anything else.

Mike Clark

Mike Clark

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here