News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:52:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Clogged tongue muffler with burnt castor residue  (Read 2218 times)

Offline Allen Brickhaus

• ACE
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Clogged tongue muffler with burnt castor residue
« on: May 29, 2012, 11:34:41 AM »
           My runs on the TEOSAWKI were ever so slowly begin deteriorated over a period of two years. I kept using less fuel to finish the pattern under 8 minutes and seemingly less power emanated from either the fp 40 or the la 46 I was using. A comment about how quiet my engine was last Saturday in Schaumburg at the Windy City Classic, let me to re-live a conversation Charlie Reeves and I had over his lack of power in his Fox 59/Stuntwagon combination ten years ago at a Lexington KY contest.

He told me later that week that he had to punch out the holes on his tongue muffler as the holes became clogged with burnt castor oil. I checked my current tongue muffler. I used the back end of a .073" bit and pushed out chunks of burnt castor from the twelve holes in the muffler. Then I use a .100" bit to punch more out. Then I re-drilled the holes to .120". I flew it Monday night and all is back to normal.

I put in 4.25 ounces of 5% SIG Champion fuel (20% oil half/half) with a release rpm of 9800/9900 for a 5.05 to a 5.13 lap times (front to back of the run) and landed at either 7:05 or 7:10 full time in the air from hand signal to rolling stop. The prop is an APC 12 X 4 Sport cut to 11 inches. I used 60' lines measure eyelet to eyelet.

I am much happier with the combination now.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Clogged tongue muffler with burnt castor residue
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 11:41:32 AM »
So the lesson here is that we should floss our tongues regularly?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline jjorgensen

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 12:32:57 PM »
I bought an FP-40 used at Sig last year that I could not get to run. I had it set up on pressure. I finally disconnected the pressure line in desparation and it ran great. I took the pressure nipple out of the muffler and it was plugged solid with castor. So this can cause problems with standard mufflers as well.
Jim Jorgensen

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 01:36:27 PM »
This has been referred to as the "Jim Kraft syndrome" and has been known to stymie some of the best of minds. Well diagnosed, Allen!
dg

Offline Allen Brickhaus

• ACE
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 02:21:39 PM »
I don't know about that, it took me two years to develope the problem and that long to solve it.

Tee Hee.

Offline Gene O'Keefe

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 02:26:50 PM »
Tim....you crack me up ! LL~
Gene O'Keefe
AMA 28386

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 09:18:48 AM »
Well we are still learning something everyday.   Look at the buildup of castor on the outside of some engines sometime. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 03:44:33 PM »
I'm beginning to think like the expert "motorheads" around here.  Using less and less castor oil.  My normal fuel for ABC engines runs 15% syn oil and 5% castor.  No more gunked up motors.

(I still have to run more castor in the OS35S)

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Allen Brickhaus

• ACE
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 04:50:30 PM »
I agree with your use of your content oil in ABC engines.

Allen Brickhaus

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 06:36:00 PM »
Thanks for the reminder Dale. The thing that should have tipped me off much earlier than it did, was when Elwyn was taking pictures of my Nobler flying during practice at VSC, and told me that I had the quietest Fox 35 he had heard. But no. I did the usual stuff and cleaned the spray bar, cleaned the tank, checked the back plate gasket for leaking, and not once looked at the muffler. Now I am paranoid and look at the muffler holes every other flight. LOL.
Jim Kraft

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 10:45:07 PM »
Thing about castor is that it gives supreme protection on a lean run, and don't we suffer that every time the tank runs dry or when a pinch off stops the engine?
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here