News:

• April 24, 2024, 05:02:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cleaning Old Metal Tanks  (Read 1669 times)

Offline Zuriel Armstrong

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Cleaning Old Metal Tanks
« on: August 29, 2006, 01:00:19 PM »
I know there have been other posts on cleaning metal tanks before.  At the time I thought I would never need to know this information, I was wrong.  I had a plane given to me that has a custom metal tank that has not been used for at least  4-5 years.  What is the best solution to clean out a tank.  MEK, Acetone, Alcohol???

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Zuriel
Zuriel Armstrong
AMA 20932

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Cleaning Old Metal Tanks
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 01:39:30 PM »
I know there have been other posts on cleaning metal tanks before.  At the time I thought I would never need to know this information, I was wrong.  I had a plane given to me that has a custom metal tank that has not been used for at least  4-5 years.  What is the best solution to clean out a tank.  MEK, Acetone, Alcohol???

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Zuriel

Z-Man,  I would use a good lacquer cleaner.  Fill the tank almost all the way up and cap all the tubes.  Shake it up everynow and then, and let it work for a day or so.

Flushing it out afterwards with 95% or higher Isopropyl alcohol.  Put a new filter on it and check it after the first few runs.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 01:40:15 PM »
Not sure this is the BEST way to do it.

Take the end off with a can-opener.
Fill the tank 1/4 full with small rocks.
Use JB weld to put the end back on that you took off with the can-opener.
Shake the can around while you are surfing the web.

Not sure how to get the rocks back out, but not to worry. Your new plane needs a little nose weight.

If this will not work, bring it over to my house this weekend and I may have a tank that will fit it.
 <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <= <=

I hope to see the Dove fly soon!

Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 01:42:44 PM »
  The way I do it is as follows.
  Fill the tank completely with fuel. cap off all tubes and vents. Let it set overnight or more. Drain out approximately half of the fuel and recap the tubes and vents.  Shake VIGOROUSLY for several minutes and immediately drain the remaining fuel from the tank.  Watch the last fuel emiting from the tank for discoloration and particles.  Repeat the fill-set overnight--half drain--shake and final drain as many times as it takes to get clean clear fuel from the tank after the shaking step.  Then as a final step , half fill with either acetone or methanol  cap and shake then drain out onto a clean paper towel and look for particles. If none, your tank is probably clean. If you get particles, re-do the half fill cap and shake with the Acetone or methanol  as many times as necessary.
  If the tank has been sitting for many years, it MAY have corrosion in the tubing (or cracks) from long time sitting and exposure to oxygen.  I would be prepared for a possible erratic run or premature shut-down on the first few flights.

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline Zuriel Armstrong

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 01:49:00 PM »
Thanks Marvin and Bill.  I will get the process rolling tonight.

Paul, Paul, Paul......I can't thank you enough for the more modern approach to cleaning a tank.  I guess if water flows through them going down stream, and it seems clear enough, it may just work!!!  I'm pretty sure my "Kitchen Pass" has not been reinstated yet after the Paducah contest so this weekend is probably out for me.  Sheesh!!!
Zuriel Armstrong
AMA 20932

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 01:58:27 PM »
  Zuriel,  are you going to make the Memphis TN contest sept  16 & 17?  If so, I'll see you there

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline Zuriel Armstrong

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 02:30:09 PM »
Marvin,

I will be there for sure.  This is the closest contest to my house.  I was also at the last contest flown in Memphis in the 70's too.  I look forward to seeing you there.

Zuriel
Zuriel Armstrong
AMA 20932

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 02:47:22 PM »
Z-Man,
I said my answer may not be the BEST way. Bill had the answer.

Sorry to here you will not be getting a "pass". Best lay low so you can come over for the contest.

Keep in touch friend.

Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline W.D. Roland

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006, 03:19:24 PM »
I like rootbeards answer!
sounds like an old mecanics trick

i have used racing methonal/alcohol (like in dirt/ drag racing)dosnt have all the stuff thats in rubbing alcoholl
its cheep and probably with some castor would be good 0 nitro fuel
some has a top end lubricant in it--dont know what but will fail fuel test on racingkarts.

fill tank and letsit overnight and if nothin comes out in morning it should be ok--run a filter and check after each flight untill sure no crud.

as a last resort i have used carburater cleaner--the stuff that you soak it in not spray.
this WILL clean it but lots of flushing required to remove all traces(smell)

David
David Roland

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here