News:

• March 28, 2024, 11:03:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: C/L Profile Plane for ENYA SS40 BB  (Read 8764 times)

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
Re: C/L Profile Plane for ENYA SS40 BB
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2022, 11:39:59 PM »

On the ground when you start the engine, can you get an accurate control of the rpm up and down  by turning the needle?

I am asking  this because it is very common for the fuel start foaming with vibration  when using a low pitch prop and high rpms in a profile. When fuel foaming starts it is impossible to adjust the mixture and control de rpms, the engine peaks out and stay at very high rpms no matter how much you open your needle, until you open way to much and  suddenly the rpms drops dramatically and the mixture get extremely rich. If you try to close the needle to get the proper mixture and rpm it will go back to peak out, so the engine works to lean and fast or too rich and slow.

You can observe the fuel running in the fuel tubing that feeds the engine, a few bubbles, although not desired,  it is ok. But when you get many bubbles or foaming in the fuel line, then the engine will not run properly.

So before anything I would like to know for sure you are not having this problem.

Martin
Old Enya's never die, they just run stronger!

https://www.youtube.com/user/martinSOLO

Online Kafin Noe’man

• Commander
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2022, 08:34:10 AM »
On the ground when you start the engine, can you get an accurate control of the rpm up and down by turning the needle?

I don’t have a tachometer to meassure it precisely, but one thing for sure is when the needle is set leaner the sound is getting louder and it feels the rpm is getting higher, and vice versa.

And from my last flight, I don’t remember there was a foaming problem or bubbles in the fuel lines.
I just received a new engine mounting pad from Brodak last weekend, I’m gonna install it to reduce the engine vibrations as well.
INA 1630
I fly: Vector, Cardinal, XEBEC, and Banshee

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2022, 08:59:41 AM »
I don’t have a tachometer to meassure it precisely, but one thing for sure is when the needle is set leaner the sound is getting louder and it feels the rpm is getting higher, and vice versa.

And from my last flight, I don’t remember there was a foaming problem or bubbles in the fuel lines.
I just received a new engine mounting pad from Brodak last weekend, I’m gonna install it to reduce the engine vibrations as well.

You will never completely eliminate fuel foaming. Mounting the engine securely, putting some foam rubber between the tank and fuselage, and making sure your prop is balanced is about the best you can do. Even the trick of adding a few drops of Armor-All to your fuel won't completely eliminate it, but will substantially reduce it for a short time. I repeat, a few DROPS of Armor-All can help with fuel foaming but it's affects don't last very long. There are those that think this leaves deposits of glow plugs and such but I have never experienced this at my level. If you over do it and add several ounces, maybe, but a few DROPS has not shown me any detriment in just trying to trouble shoot an engine run problem. I'll repeat also that having your engine mounted solidly, tank mounted on some shock absorbing material, and props balanced will do far more. If you have a weak of too thin fuselage between the wing and the nose, it helps to glue on a solid piece of balsa and shape it in to stiffen the fuselage and tie it into the wing leading edge as much as possible. Some guys even work in a small gusset at that point to help out. If you start your engine  and a rich setting , and as it come up in RPM and you see the nose flex back and forth at certain RPMs, then you have an issue there.
   Keep working on it, you are making some good progress.!!
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2022, 09:42:50 AM »
"If you have a weak or too thin fuselage between the wing and the nose, it helps to glue on a solid piece of balsa and shape it in to stiffen the fuselage and tie it into the wing leading edge as much as possible."

I just wanted to repeat that.  Even a slightly out of balance prop will vibrate like a SOB if the wing nose joint is not solid.  If you think your prop is balanced and it still vibrates, try rotating it some and retightening it.  Some motors vibrate more than others because they are not balanced perfectly internally.  Putting the prop in a different position or using a slightly out of balance prop or even better, spinner in the right position can make it smoother. 

Ken

Let me add this.  When the wing fuselage joint cracks, and they usually do at some point, you need to repair it immediately.  It is not the vibration that increases it is the fuel getting into the joint.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 03:42:30 PM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2022, 10:04:32 AM »
 7mm venturi is ok if you have the 3.5mm spraybar. You want it to crack rich a little when you're flying straight and level. I think if you just richen the needle valve a little and try an 11-4.5 or 11-5 you'll have a happy engine and better drive in the loops.

Eliminating fuel foam is a function of finding the rpm range the engine doesn't vibrate and hopefully it corresponds with a good stunt run. Also, plumbing inside the tank so the vent tube is 2" away from the pick up and doesn't blow towards the pick up tube is a big help.

The airplane pitching up and down could be many things. The controls in the plane should be very free moving, the lines should not be twisted together and they should be cleaned with solvent. The plane should balance slightly ahead of the high point of the wing. The control system might be too fast, you could try a handle with the lines spaced closer together or adjust your control horn linkage to slow things down.

Hope that helps,
Motorman 8)   

Online Kafin Noe’man

• Commander
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2022, 01:43:06 AM »
I believe the ‘wiggles’ at the end of the loops are most likely due to my flying technique. I still can’t keep my calm when the nose is going down — I tend to immediately give a pull up to get the plane back into level as soon as possible.

However, the handle lines spacing is currently at the widest possible on my Sullivan Control Line Insta-Just Handle S167 — it might be one of the reasons that makes the plane becomes too sensitive so it wiggles.

I actually like the responsiveness of the plane, because I think I can recover better when the manuevers go wrong. I would probably try to get the lines spaced closer together as this is much easier to do compared to adjusting the control horn linkage to tame the plane.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 08:04:27 PM by Kafin Noe'man »
INA 1630

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2022, 07:17:18 AM »
The ‘wiggles’ at the end of the loops are most likely due to my flying technique. I still can’t keep my calm when the nose is going down — I tend to immediately give a pull up to get the plane back into level as soon as possible.

However, the handle lines spacing is currently at the widest possible on my Sullivan Control Line Insta-Just Handle S167 — it might be one of the reasons that makes the plane becomes too sensitive so it wiggles.

I actually like the responsiveness of the plane, because I think I can recover better when the manuevers go wrong. I would probably try to get the lines spaced closer together as this is much easier to do compared to adjusting the control horn linkage to tame the plane.
If you know it is you, then leave the plane and lines the way they are.  You are used to it and as confidence grows you will know when it is time to work on making things smoother.  I am a huge fan of having more control than you need.  Keep the spacing wide.  Learning with too narrow a spacing can lead to bad form. 

Just keep on keeping on - Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2022, 12:02:15 PM »
Prop size is 11 x 4 and venturi is 7.0 mm

Motorman is probably right, the engine seemed to go "over the top" lean in the maneuvers. That might be corrected by as little as one click richer on the needle, or a different 11x4 prop with less drag.

I have no specific experience with this engine so I hesitate to offer too much advice.

Brett

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2022, 06:48:20 PM »

Hi Kafin,

did you get my private message?

It seems you are not having trouble with fuel foaming, that´s is great.

This engine seems that still not fully loose and you may notice it will improv gradually as you use it. An Enya SS40 with a 7.0mm venturi and 11x4 prop should be running a lot stronger, unless you live at a high altitude city.

You should be able to open 2 o 3 clicks and slow down the laps and have more power going up.

Martin

Online Kafin Noe’man

• Commander
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2022, 06:12:48 AM »
Hi Martin,

I didn’t get your private message.
What’s your email address?

—————

Anyway, I just tried to get the handle spacing closer today.
My bellcranck size is 3” and the handle spacing was 6” — I adjusted it into 4” spacing and it made very significant difference.

No more ‘wiggles’ at the exit of my wingover and inside loop.
And my level flight was much more stable.
I’m getting more confidence to learn more stunts with this setup.

INA 1630

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2022, 06:24:34 AM »
Keep the spacing wide.  Learning with too narrow a spacing can lead to bad form. 
Just keep on keeping on - Ken
Sorry to quote myself but I didn't now they were THAT wide.  Most of us use 4" bellcranks and a spacing between 4" and 5"  4" on a 3" Bellcrank will work fine.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2022, 01:18:24 PM »
Hi Kafin,

i sent you my email by pvt msg, but I guess it is no working.

I have  g mail  and it starts martin.av8tor

Martin
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 01:37:22 PM by Martin Quartim »

Offline John Carrodus

• Commander
« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2022, 02:49:53 PM »
Kafin
I am really pleased with the progress you are making. It's almost been like reading a novel!( Ever considered making a film!) Well done and keep going.
All the best

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here