News:

• May 08, 2024, 05:37:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Trailer Needed - Any Suggestions?  (Read 2076 times)

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
Trailer Needed - Any Suggestions?
« on: March 30, 2009, 07:17:27 PM »
I'd like to find or put together a trailer to pull behind our Town & Country van.  Preferably smaller than a 5x8.

I saw a "converted" pop-up tent trailer at an RC site a couple of years ago; it looked like a great solution for transporting a few airplanes.

Suggestions, anyone?  Thanks!

Dennis Leonhardi
New Prague, MN
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Phil Coopy

• Captain
  • SHADE TREE MECHANIC, NO ENGINEER
Re: Trailer Needed - Any Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 02:02:25 PM »
I built this from a Wikipidia Books article titled, "How To Build a Teardrop Trailer.  I already had the frame rusting out back of my shop.  Took me about two weeks. I use it for both C/L and giant scale planes.  Fun project for a retired guy. It's 4x8.

Phil

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 02:07:49 PM »
HI Dennis. Do you have any motor cycle dealers in the area?  They usually have some small light weight trailers designed to be pulleed by hardleys. Might just be the trick. Light, fast, small. Buy a used one, the new ones cost as much as the scoot. H^^

Not quite.. One of our club members builds and sells motorcycle trailers.. http://www.honkytrailer.com/
Most expensive is a little over 2K if you add any accessories. Problem is they aren't really big enough to carry anything but maybe a Ringmaster. I once asked him what he thought about offering an airplane carrier, said development would cost too much for too small a market.

The best ones I've see were converted pop-up camper trailers.. I have the frame for one sitting out behind my shop with plans on making a trailer to haul a 3 wheel electric scooter. Would be great for Brodaks but you how projects go.. Too many.. not enough time..

Offline Tom Weedman

• New Pilot
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 03:21:44 PM »
I have seen Mr.Coopys trailer it had a vector 40 and a thunder bird parked inside flite box and fuel also
don't know what was in the cooler but the trailer was very nice and well built and roomy

TOM WEEDMAN       AMA63672
Tom Weedman
AMA63672

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 07:00:45 PM »
Very nice, Phil!  That's about what I had in mind, would work for me (until I had it and decided I needed to haul more airplanes, of course).  Is the book/plan available?

Dennis
 y1
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Phil Coopy

• Captain
  • SHADE TREE MECHANIC, NO ENGINEER
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 07:18:18 PM »
Dennis,

Just google "How To Build A Teardrop Trailer" and the article will come up on Wikipedia.

Phil

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 08:17:07 PM »
I have seen Mr.Coopys trailer it had a vector 40 and a thunder bird parked inside flite box and fuel also
don't know what was in the cooler but the trailer was very nice and well built and roomy

TOM WEEDMAN       AMA63672

Tom is right, I've also seen it. Really nice!
It could easily double as a place to sleep if you pile the planes in the car. y1
Roger V.
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here