News:

• March 29, 2024, 06:18:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CL in Orlando, FL  (Read 2474 times)

Offline 11290

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
CL in Orlando, FL
« on: March 30, 2009, 11:21:21 PM »
About mid April I will be living in Orlando for about 6 months and wondered if any CL in the area.  I will have an apartment near Millenia Mall on John Young Parkway.
Evansville, IN & Orlando, FL

Offline Robert W

• Lieutenant
Re: CL in Orlando, FL
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 05:48:39 AM »
Jim and I fly out by the airport on Saturday mornings when the weather is good and family commitments allow. The RC club I am a member of has one circle with about 5 CL fliers in the Christmass area. Roger's club IRKS has a nice site over by the cost that has a fun fly April 19th. I live on the east side of Orlando and Jim lives on the west side.
AMA 28627

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 06:31:19 AM »
I live down on the SE end by the airport, not far from you- but don't get to fly on weekends usually. The boss tends to have other projects on her mind for me then. I sometimes have a chance during the week, but have to scrounge around for flying sites. Check the calender on this board- The IRKS are having a CL fly on 4/19, about 30-45 minutes east of where you will be staying. I hope to go- but may have to travel out of town.

Welcome to Orlando- and don't forget to keep an eye on the news- in addition to flying models you get regular chances to watch space launches from the Cape.

If you need to cut / sand / drill something hit me with a PM. I have band & scroll saw/ drill press/ belt-disk sander in my cluttered and messy shop, and would be happy to help if I'm available.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 09:41:53 PM by Bill Heher »
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline 11290

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 10:08:25 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  Will follow up when I get down there in a couple of weeks.

Offline steve pagano

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 10:37:02 AM »

Would the flying sites be anywere near Bithlo? I have family in orlando that are trying to get me to go down to fla.
and would love to show them the sport?

Steve P.
Success isn't a destination.It's a journey!!!!!
A.M.A. 820-823

Offline 11290

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 10:47:44 AM »
in addition to flying models you get regular chances to watch space launches from the Cape.

We tried to get to the one a couple of weeks ago on a Wed. night but it was cancelled.  We had been to a spring training game in Sarasota and were on the way back and found out it was called off.  Would have liked to have seen it.

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 11:21:34 AM »
The Indian River Kontrol Society ( IRKS) field is east of Bithlo about 30 miles, and is a controlled access site. Here is the link to their Website   http://www.irks.org.

The Orlando Airport site is near the Navy Exchange south of the 528 on Tradeport Drive. It is not an official or controlled site- and sometimes other people want to use it to play stick ball etc.

There is also an R/C club in Lake Wales ( between orlando - tampa ) that has a circle. Here is a link to their website.     http://www.theridgebarnstormers.com    Phil Coopy is one of the main movers and shakers out there, and he works hard with the club to put on a C/L event or 2 each year, they great bunch of guys and they draw fliers from both coasts and everywhere in between.

Bill Heher
If it's broke Fix-it

Offline Robert W

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 11:56:07 AM »
If this comes in as a double post sorry, but the last attempt did not show up.

Steve P. The Rocket city RC club is just east of Bithlo off of Fort Christmas RD. The easyest way to get there for the first time is to take fort Christmas RD north from SR50 past the fort until you see the sign on the Rt hand side of the road. They have one grass circle and the CL guys usually fly on Saturday morning if the wind is not to bad. There is a tree line just south of the circle so a strong south wind is very challenging.

Bill, double check your date for the IRKS event, I think the calender may be wrong. Roger posted in the event section for Sunday the 19th. Hope to see you there if you are in town.

Regards
Robert
AMA 28627

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 09:47:26 PM »
Yep the date for IRKS is 4/19. I have 4/20 stuck in my head because that is when a job is supposed to start in Portland. I'm hoping the usual occurs and it gets delayed so I can make the meet at IRKS, but if i have to head to Portland there is a contest there the same weekend.

I will have the 1/2A F-86 done- it is in grey now- gotta get sanding some more. If I can't go to Cocoa, I would like someone to take it over for some pics with the Mig 15, and a couple flights if they ain't scared!
Bill Heher
If it's broke Fix-it

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here