News:

• May 03, 2024, 09:54:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Trim Question  (Read 1481 times)

Offline Phil Coopy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • SHADE TREE MECHANIC, NO ENGINEER
Trim Question
« on: August 05, 2006, 11:12:20 AM »
I am using a Twister to learn the sequence. I have noticed that at the top of an outside looping maneuver, (like the 2nd loop of a horizontal 8 or an outside square), that sometimes my plane wants to roll towards the inside of the circle, especially if the turn is tight or the plane is slowing. Can this be trimmed out?

Phil

Offline Richard Grogan

• AMA Member 85745 Stunt Hangar
  • Admiral
Re: Trim Question
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 12:57:22 PM »
Phil,
Sounds like your flaps are slightly out of balance/alignment giving you a slight aileron effect. May be your flap control horn is slightly twisted....Your outboard flap may have a slight upward warp, more noticable on outside maneuvers. Just some guesses though....Im sure some of the experts can help dial you in.
Good luck!
RG
Long Live the CL Crowd!

AMA 85745

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 05:23:54 PM »
Could be several things but if the airplane is straight it sounds like you may have too much tip weight causing it to hinge on hard outsides. It probably does just the reverse on hard insides, (roll away from you)  but that is less noticable.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 07:54:38 PM »
I am using a Twister to learn the sequence. I have noticed that at the top of an outside looping maneuver, (like the 2nd loop of a horizontal 8 or an outside square), that sometimes my plane wants to roll towards the inside of the circle, especially if the turn is tight or the plane is slowing. Can this be trimmed out?

Almost certainly. In general, if it's different on inside and outside turns, you have a warp or need a flap tweak. It's like putting in a little aileron effect. Tweaking the outboard flap down relative to the inboard will give you more line tension on outside maneuvers than inside. Tweaking the outboard flap up compared to the inboard will give you more line tension on insides than outsides.

It's not entirely clear which way it needs to go from your description. Bob seems to have interpreted it in the opposite way that I did. So, just to make it clear, on outside turns, do you see the bottom of the airplane, or the top of the airplane?

Brett

Offline Phil Coopy

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 08:57:00 PM »
When I come up to the top of an outside loop the airplane wants to go a little loose on the lines and at the same time rolls to the left (like in RC) showing me the top of the plane then as the lines tighten up it corrects itself. I'm currently carrying .95oz in the wing tip.

Phil

Offline Louis Rankin

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 03:44:10 PM »
What is your engine size and how much does the model weigh?
Louis Rankin
Somerville Tennessee
AMA 10859

Offline Phil Coopy

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 07:33:33 PM »
LA40 powered Twister weighing in at 44oz.

Phil

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here