News:

• April 23, 2024, 10:27:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CL activity in Ashville, NC?  (Read 542 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
CL activity in Ashville, NC?
« on: May 08, 2022, 05:34:18 PM »
Daughter is maybe moving to the Ashville, NC area in the next year or so. My wife and I would likely want to find a place close to her, so I'm wondering if there are any control line groups nearby? I know Huntersville would not be to long a drive for contests but something close in for weekend flying would be great/.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: CL activity in Ashville, NC?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2022, 07:44:22 AM »
So there are no control line flyers in the Ashville, NC area?

Best,    DennisT

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2022, 08:30:26 AM »
 Dennis     As far as I know the answer is no active flyers in this that area but I am not up to date for the last two years. When you say Asheville area  that can be very vague. I have friends who say the live in the Asheville area but they are a hours drive away in very remote location. I think if you put on a weekend flyin at a good location you would draw plenty of people from Charlotte and theWinston Salem area.
  Dennis i am speaking about present time but as it looks there may not be any CL except electric in a few years and that group will get very small quickly.
Ed
  Note i live 120 miles from Asheville but it is a easy drive to that area for me and I am a long ways east of Charlotte. Good roads all the way.
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Kermit Payne

• 24 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2022, 05:54:11 PM »
Dennis --- I live in Winston-Salem and will not profess to know all there is to know about any control line flyers in the Asheville area, but my bet is they are extremely rare.  Part of the problem in that part of the state is finding a suitable (i.e., flat) available flying area.  The driving time from Asheville to Huntersville is a little over 2 hours but that is very dependent on traffic flow into the Charlotte area --- I would advise against any weekday rush-hour commute.  The drive to Winston-Salem is also a little over 2 hours and (generally) has less traffic but that is not an everyday promise.

I know this doesn't provide a complete answer to your question.  If you're up for a Saturday morning commute, come join us in Winston-Salem (or any other day if you tell me you're coming!)  I'm sure the Huntersville gang would extend the same invitation.

Offline mccoy40

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2022, 06:43:29 AM »
Dennis,

I have never seen any C/L or Radio control activity in the Asheville Area. My wife is from the area and I have been popping in down there at least once a year.

With that said, If I get down there I will send you a message and I can at least hold the plane for you on launch.  H^^

I may even be able to bring a plane with me.  My wife and I will be down there later this year.   S?P

Joseph Meyer
Philadelphia, PA

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here