News:

• April 24, 2024, 08:18:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Chemical Compatibility  (Read 1246 times)

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Chemical Compatibility
« on: April 13, 2019, 07:09:19 PM »
    This has been in the forefront pretty regularly with the popularity of rattle can paint jobs. I was going through some magazines today that came from the estate of a club member that passed away several years ago, Virgil Diekmann. Some of you may remember him. In one of the Model Aviation magazines from August, 1993, in Bill Boss' scale column, there was mention of a book on building model airplanes (FYI-Model Flight) and inside was a small chart on chemical compatibility, in other words, what can go over or under what! The column is on page 78 and those that are still AMA members can view it on the website. Maybe one of the computer wizards can copy it and pin it to the top of the painting and finishing section? It might save a lot of grief for new comers. Bill Boss was one of THE top control line scale builders and wrote that column for a long time as was one that I always and least glanced at, so you know the info should be correct.
   Type at you later,
     Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Chemical Compatibility
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 09:27:17 PM »
Thank you for posting this Dan.  It could possibly eliminate a lot of headaches.

Mike

Offline Joe Bowman

• 24 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 10:14:40 PM »
I posted this in the paint and finish section but will post here also.

Offline George Truett

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 08:44:10 AM »
Epoxy Enamel is any of the epoxy paint we normally use, Klass Kote, SuperPoxy, etc..

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 08:47:40 AM »
Cool chart, looks like you can paint anything over nitrate dope. What is epoxy enamel?

Thanks,
Motorman 8)
Appliance touch up paint in a rattle can is called appliance epoxy.  It’s just a very hard enamel- and enamel is usually about the hardest paint to begin with.

Dave

AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Online Dave Harmon

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • Tulsa Glue Dobbers C/L and R/C Clubs
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 09:24:52 AM »
Anyone know if automotive clearcoat can be applied over butyrate color dope and/or nitrate clear dope??

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 01:02:03 PM »
Anyone know if automotive clearcoat can be applied over butyrate color dope and/or nitrate clear dope??

Catalyzed polyurethane automotive clearcoat (isocyanate death paint) goes over butyrate dope or acrylic lacquer just fine.  I have had instances of acrylic lacquer, particularly dark colors, bubbling up under IDP when the plane gets warm in the sun.  I presume solvents get trapped under the clearcoat.  I would reckon this could happen with dope, too, if one doesn't wait long enough for it to dry. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here