News:

• March 28, 2024, 11:37:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: carbon fibers, itch, how to get them ut of skin??  (Read 36087 times)

Offline Ty Marcucci

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
carbon fibers, itch, how to get them ut of skin??
« on: April 05, 2011, 12:37:21 PM »
Yesterday as I rotated my 660 Stiletto, I rubbed my forearm against new carbon fiber on the fuselage. Never had this happen to this degree. How in L do you get those painful fibers out of skin??  I've tried soap and water, scrub brush, oil, and still itches like crazy. D>K
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 04:50:56 PM by Ty Marcucci »
Ty Marcucci

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
Re: carbon fibers, itch, how to get them ut of skin??
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 01:14:21 PM »
Should work the same as fiberglass. Take tape (wide masking tape, duct tape) and wind it sticky side out around your fingers. Use the sticky tape to remove the fibers (and hair) from your skin.

Offline W.D. Roland

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 01:39:00 PM »
That's not good TY!

This is similar to fiberglass, excepting glass can be broken down by the body when worst comes to worst.
Not so with carbon, it there to stay...or move around in the body doing damage.

The tape trick from Garf helps.  Tape tends to break fibers.

At one time I made fiberglass race car bodies and had the ITCH often.
The best way I found is to get your hands on a pair of pantyhose and in hot shower(opens pores) with the hose stretched tight over hand rub in ONE direction. The panty hose will 'grab' the fibers and pull them out.
Do not go back and forth as this will break the fibers.
This method seems to remove nearly 100% of fibers.

Don't scratch the itch--it breaks the fibers

Good luck with this miserable situation!

David
David Roland

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 04:13:34 PM »
Boraxo seems to grab fiberglass fibers from skin. 
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 06:21:19 PM »
Water yourself well. You'll have to grow em out!

bob branch LL~ LL~ LL~

Offline W.D. Roland

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 07:47:08 PM »
Hot Shower Ty, Hot shower. She may change her mind.... ( and this is the best method I ever tried)

Strange looks? Heck we play with Model airplanes, how much stranger could we be.
Besides I figure strange looks are better than some other looks from the women folk-sort of like this mw~ (her)
 LL~(me)

On the way home from town today was thinking about this sort of thing. We all or most of us have sanded and other wise handled glass and breathed and had it in our skin, Short term pain in de arse.

I looked into making carbon fiber race car parts and was turned away by the hazardous.
This is what I remember.
As I said before glass is something the body will eventually break down and dispose of.
Man made carbon fiber is not broken down and disposed of, once in the body it is there for good but not stationary.
The possibility of it entering the blood stream and damaging organs seemed to be a concern in the industry.

Using tape on the loose end of cuts so that every strand can be disposed of is on other methods talked about.
A clean room environment so as to make accounting for every scrap of CF was another.

Sanding ONLY with a vacuum source to capture ALL dust so on and so forth.

Some where around here is a book on composites and mfg of such that has a whole chapter devoted to working safely with CF.( race car industry)
If any one wants Congress Cat Number for the book I will look.

Now after saying all that I still do minor CF sanding like it was glass.   HB~>

David

David Roland

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 10:16:56 AM »
...The best way I found is to get your hands on a pair of pantyhose and in hot shower(opens pores) with the hose stretched tight over hand rub in ONE direction. The panty hose will 'grab' the fibers and pull them out.
Do not go back and forth as this will break the fibers...

David

If someone uses this method, for goodness sake don't give 'em back...or you'll hear it for the rest of your life!  ;D  >:D

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 09:07:58 PM »
I have a spool of Boron fiber for your next experiments, Ty. I haven't figured out how to dispose of it. I've never used it, but Boron makes CF look like child's play toys.  :o Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here