News:

• April 19, 2024, 11:46:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Camo pattern  (Read 1571 times)

Offline cory colquhoun

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Camo pattern
« on: November 19, 2017, 01:34:42 AM »
Hoping for some ideas on painting a camo pattern on my p40 , thought of laying strips of masking tape down and then cutting random patterns out of it or maybe contact book covering but not sure if it will lift the paint , is there something in particular that would be suitable.

Cory

Offline Will Davis

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Camo pattern
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 06:05:03 AM »
Cory,

The p40 had lots of variations to the camo paint job, a good source of ideas would be to google p40 avg . They were not as random as you would think according to most photos .

I have use poster board   Paper templates and   1/4 inch 3m fine line tape  on a couple  models with good success. Less tack area to reduce risk of paint adhesion issues .

Good luck
Will Davis
"Carolina Gang"

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 06:58:38 AM »
"KIS."

Keep it simple.

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 11:51:45 AM »
What Will said.

I crawled a bunch of sites and found a few great image sites.
Cut out cardboard "paper dolls" as Windy calls them.
Lay them out trace lightly then mask and paint.

Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 01:47:49 PM »
Camo applied in WWII was typically applied by the plane's ground crew, with mops or brushes, no masking, no patterns. Easy to duplicate, no, but easy to approximate.  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Al Rabe

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 04:03:47 PM »
Cory,

Camouflage isn't necessarily difficult. I have done several with the most recent one being my Mustunt IV.  The airplane had a sorta German Messerschmitt appearance but the techniques are similar.  In my case , I blocked out the large fields of color  with masking tape then spray painted the edges with thin color to complete the effect.

Al Rabe

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 04:32:33 PM »

It's actually very simple, just paint the airplane in the base color then add your camo color(s) with an airbrush.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline cory colquhoun

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 05:11:32 PM »
Some nice looking planes guys, doesn't sound too difficult , I was thinking it would be easier to paint entire plane in olive drab, apply random patterns and then finish with a couple coats of tan as I don't have an airbrush, not to worried about scale just fun plane,

Thanks for the tips
 Cory

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2017, 05:14:45 PM »
Camouflage isn't necessarily difficult. I have done several with the most recent one being my Mustunt IV.  The airplane had a sorta German Messerschmitt appearance but the techniques are similar. 

Hmmm.. To me, looking at it, it has more of an Italian Macchi look to it with that turtledeck.  But that's just me.

Mark

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2017, 06:37:46 PM »
You could always do a traditional camo, but because of the weather change, add white with a brush.

As said, the Germans applied winter camo with a mop and a brush.

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2017, 09:17:58 PM »
heres a far out & groovey  ??? one , aledgedly authentic .

Just click on the blue bit , it works ( Video )

( was looking for Kiwi Pacific ones . Garth Hogan , a Ex Drag Racer runs one / rebuilds them in NZ . . Olive Drab , white empenage - RNZAF )

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here