News:

• April 19, 2024, 03:01:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Calling All Pickers!!  (Read 1481 times)

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Calling All Pickers!!
« on: March 15, 2021, 07:20:33 PM »
  Be sure and catch a replay of tonight's American Pickers show. In the first 15 minutes you'll see Cox PT-19, WenMac P-63, Cox Sky copter, a Zilch with a O7R front intake .60 on it, c/l speed models including a dyna-jet and a a Cox Prop Rod!!
   Now back to the show!!
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
Re: Calling All Pickers!!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2021, 07:39:33 PM »
Who was getting picked?

You have the episode number?
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2021, 07:53:49 PM »
   It's a new one, first showing is tonight. The History Channel always repeats prime time programming in the late evening. This episode is scheduled for 11PM tonight CDT, and will probably be repeated again next Monday night at 7PM CDT.
   Dan McEntee

PS to add;  To top it off, the estate they were picking even had some vintage go-karts. ne was an old Bird Kart, but the other was a later model that was modified for upright enduro racing with twin fuel tanks, and looked like it was set up to run twin McCulloch engines. The karts were older, but the guy had Hartman Blimp pipes set up[ on them so he must have run them well into the late 70's and early 80's.
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 05:24:43 PM »
Just watched it.  (One of the programs I record each week).  For once Mike didn't have a clue what he was dealing with.   LL~    LL~
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2021, 07:14:35 PM »
The Kart on top of the trailer was a Fox Flyweight (vintage 1962 or 63)with McCulloch 101. The Enduro Kart was a Rupp " Mean Machine" powered by two 101s (only one was on the Kart) At $1300 they stole those Karts. The 101s even if not running are worth $700 to $800  apiece,and $1200 freshened up. I presently race in the VKA with a 1964 Fox in the Historic class with a WestBend 610 (1962) and the Sportsman 6.1 "Stock" class with a 1973 Mc 91B1. I love vintage Karting ,just a bunch of old farts reliving their youth.....very much what we do with our stunt ships. Cheers,Skip

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2021, 08:52:10 PM »
   The karts look like he would take one engine off the twin to run on the single, and when running the enduro, put it on for one twin class and maybe take it off for a single class again.  I thought the kart with the twin tanks may have been an early Margay model, like a Cheetah that my brother had,  but with them being in Ohio I don't think they sold that far east back then. They were old karts but the pipes on them I'm pretty sure were Hartman Blimp pipes. I ran those of the MACs I ran and the LMR I ran in stock heavy. They are much newer than the chassis were.  It was definitely set up for the sit up class of enduros with the two 3 gallon tanks. Being as they were in Ohio, the guy could have run at least two classes at Mid-Ohio, and had a pretty easy drive to Charlotte, Talladega, Road America in Wisconsin, and on down to Daytona for Kart week. My late younger brother took a job with Wheel Horse Lawn Products right out of tech school as a service rep for them. Once he was there for a little bit, he realized he could work in racing enduros at most of the better tracks into his work route. He was already racing Sprint karts before he moved down there, and I was also by 1978 and '79. When he got settled, he bought a full blown lay down Margay enduro set up from a local hot shoe that he got to know pretty well when he still lived here. One year over Christmas he called me and offered me a ride in one of the 4 classes he was set up to run at Daytona that year with the one kart and three different engines that he had built up. I was working for my Father-in-law at the time, around '79 or '80, and we were just getting a automotive machine shop and torque converter rebuilding business off the ground, and the old S.O.B. would not let me off to go!! That is one of my biggest regrets in my life !! I should have just quit, went down and raced, and then begged for my job back when I got home!! After my brother passed away in 2012, I brought all his vintage motorcycles home, and he still had all the kart stuff which was a Margay Panther-X and the Margay enduro with tons of spares and engines. I just didn't have any room for all of it, and had been out of it for so long, so gave the enduro stuff back to the guy he bought it from because they were pretty good friends even up to the time my brother passed away. I gave the sprint kart stuff to my nephew hoping his young boys might take an interest in it , but they never did so after shopping the stuff around they went to the same guy I gave the enduro stuff to for a nice price and everyone was happy. If I could find some one dumb enough to make a kart available and do all the work, I would still like to drive one today. I would just need a crane to help me in and out of the thing each race!! It was a lot of fun on pavement or dirt, with dirt being my favorite and what I did best at.
    Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2021, 09:18:26 PM »
Dan I ran the WKA Enduro series from around 1983 to 1992. Every Christmas we would go to Daytona for the big event, I had two Enduro karts at the time. I ran a beautiful Hartman laydown with two different engines ,one Parilla rotary valve in Stock Appearing Heavy and a Parilla  reed engine in 100cc Controlled Heavy. The other Kart was a CKS Quicksilver laydown .I ran "B Limited" with an open Komet K30  Hartman slippy pipe,dual Mikuni 34mm Alky carbs. I liked racing the B Limited best. I actually won a few WKA races which was a big thrill.

In my garage right now is my 64 Fox,a 59 Dart SuperK with a Power Products mill......and I have 1993 Margay with a Yamaha Kt100 that I run in the "classic" group but not with the VKA. I can only run it in the Northeast Promotors Series over in New Jersey. The Margay is not old enough to race in VKA.  I think my 1st race is May 15th not sure. I'll keep you posted. Wish I could post some pictures of this stuff. I stink at computer stuff.......Skip

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here