News:

• April 17, 2024, 06:15:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: By The Grace of GOD  (Read 1390 times)

Online Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
By The Grace of GOD
« on: March 25, 2023, 07:18:05 PM »
For the past month or so, I have not felt well.  The slightest exertion would completely exhaust me and I would become very short of breath and I would have to either sit or lie down for a while to recuperate.  I had also noticed some sporadic irritating chest pains that would radiate toward each shoulder and then dissipate after a while. 

I should have been able to put it together but for some reason I did not.  I was a Nationally Registered Paramedic in the early 80’s and had administered advance cardiac life support to many patients during my term of practicing Paramedicine.  I guess when it is YOU, it just doesn’t register but I did go to the doctor a few days before the attack and they scheduled me for a lot of tests that I was to take this week.  I didn’t make it nor did my family practitioner pick up on the signs.
This past Monday, March 20, 2023, I was sitting on the couch talking to Linda, my wife, and began to suffer a crushing sharp pain behind my sternum and pain was radiating down my left arm, I was nauseous, diaphoretic, and Linda said I was the color of ash.
She called an ambulance and it took them about 20 minutes to get here.  They got me in the ambulance, started a line and gave me a Nitro pill under my tongue which helped ease some of the pain.

When we arrived at the hospital emergency room, there were no rooms available so I laid on the gurney in the hall of the ER for an hour before anyone moved me to a room.  Then the resident on duty came in and started asking me questions  and  decided they would keep me overnight for observation.  She then walked out of the room and another attack hit me about 4 times worse than the first one and Linda had to get them back in the room .  They looked at my EKG and in about 30 seconds, there were 8 people in that room with crash carts and equipment all over me staring IVs and placing a defibrillator on my chest.  Linda was in a corner absolutely terrified, and they rushed me up to the cath lab.  I was praying all the way into surgery but not for myself,, I was praying for GOD to take care of Linda.   When they did the procedure,  they discovered I had a 99% blockage in the “widow maker” artery and the one next to it had a 90% blockage.  They inserted 2 stents.  I somehow remained conscious through all of this and when the Cardiologist surgeon had finished the procedure, he leaned over and said “ if you had not been in this emergency room when this hit, you would be dead.”  I cannot tell you how those words will affect you.
The Echocardiogram showed severe damage to the muscle inside my heart in the Ventricles . 

I have a lot of rehab ahead of me and some major lifestyle changes.

The Cardiologist who did the procedure and the one I saw while I was in CCU, were both men of faith and told me that GOD had further plans for me because by all rights, I should be dead.
I got home 4 days later and I will tell you there is a spiritual light glowing inside of me that I can only describe as comfort and love and my life has been forever changed by the Grace of GOD.  I have no idea what his plans are for me but I will be the best servant for him that I can be. 
I am forever changed.

Mike

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: By The Grace of GOD
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2023, 07:29:19 PM »
Glad you are still with us.  Yes GOD does watch over us. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2023, 08:11:51 PM »
This should serve as a wakeup call to all of us getting  little older.  Pride goeth before a fall, in this case a fall to the floor because we don't want to risk embarssment for a "false alarm" and don't say something if we think we might be having trouble.  Better to get looked at and find nothing than the alternative.

I am very glad to hear of your survival and recovery!! I agree, God has something yet for you to do here.

Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline Chuck Matheny

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2023, 08:56:57 PM »
For the past month or so, I have not felt well.  The slightest exertion would completely exhaust me and I would become very short of breath and I would have to either sit or lie down for a while to recuperate.  I had also noticed some sporadic irritating chest pains that would radiate toward each shoulder and then dissipate after a while. 

Mike

Mike..I am so glad to hear they got to you when seconds count.
Yep. you just got yourself a new hobby now and that will be making more time to take better care of you...!
I think it is a good idea to put an aspirin under the tongue when people feel  "symptomatic".
The aspirin is nasty...but it might be useful.
HEY....no more pepperoni pizza, either, young man.  n1
OK..that's enough "cutting edge" medical advice for now..
I went through a similar experience 25 years ago when I flat lined right at the ER front desk.

Offline builditright

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • So happy to be alive!
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2023, 10:20:21 PM »
Mike..I am so glad to hear they got to you when seconds count.
Yep. you just got yourself a new hobby now and that will be making more time to take better care of you...!
I think it is a good idea to put an aspirin under the tongue when people feel  "symptomatic".
The aspirin is nasty...but it might be useful.
HEY....no more pepperoni pizza, either, young man.  n1
OK..that's enough "cutting edge" medical advice for now..
I went through a similar experience 25 years ago when I flat lined right at the ER front desk.

Amen Chuck and Mike Prays for you are going up. Get well my friend.
Thank you and God Bless
Walter
aka/ builditright

Offline Tony Drago

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2023, 11:18:50 PM »
 Hang in their Mike. You have a Great Co-Pilot pointing you in the right direction.

Offline Chuck Matheny

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2023, 12:42:01 AM »
Ah yes,the old stent club. I got my three back in April 2012, lots of pills each morning and at bedtime.  Now I am informed I have cancer on my left kidney and my Gall Bladder has rocks in it and it is scarred, so it too must come out. Thus no flying in April May. Such is life.

Hang in there Mike. The alternative suxs. D>K

Jeeze Ty....what else can they throw at you...?
At least we live in a time when these surgeries and treatments are better than ever.
My prayers go out for your speedy recovery.

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2023, 09:20:59 AM »
Yes Mike, God has definite plans for both you and Linda.  What a testimony of His love you now have to give to others for their drawing near to Him.  Thank you for your testimony, the FCM prayer chain will be praying for your complete recovery.
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline BYU

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2023, 09:32:13 AM »
Glad you are still here Mike, very best for your recovery.

Offline John Carrodus

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2023, 11:39:34 AM »
Mike, I needed to wipe some fog from my eyes before I wrote this. Every male 40 plus needs to read this. Maybe you are guiding light for the rest of us to warn other folk- mainly young men stressed out - to take any chest pain seriously. You have indeed been touched, and have rekindled a small flickering flame in me. thank you my friend.

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2023, 03:15:40 PM »
  In 2012 I was out giving the boy scouts a hand at control line flying. Running around in circles holding on to there hand to help them get the feel of the plane is hard work. We were flying one of my old Ringmasters with a McCoy 35.  I was just finishing up the last one of about 8, and as he was walking back to the pits I had a sudden death cardiac arrest. One of the scouts fathers was a doctor who knew CPR, and kept me alive until the EMP's got there and started my heart again. 3 days later I was having open heart surgery to replace my bad aortic valve.

If I had that happen at any other time I would have died. Timing is everything. The crazy thing is, I was having chest pain long before and the Lord spoke to me and said, "just keep doing what you are doing." He knew there was a doctor there but I did not.

I felt the same way. On the one hand It is better to be with the Lord. But, on the other I did not want my wife to live alone. I was glad to be back from surgery alive. But I was a winner either way.  First John 5:13. Romans 1:16. John 3:18. Romans 6:23. Thank God it is a free gift.

The gospel. First Corinthians 15:1-4. That Christ died for our sins, according to the scriptures, that he was buried and rose again on the third day, according to the scriptures. John 3:16. Jesus said it, we believe it, and that settles it.

All the best to you Mike and Linda.
Jim Kraft

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2023, 05:07:40 PM »
Hang in their Mike. You have a Great Co-Pilot pointing you in the right direction.

If God is your Co-Pilot... Switch seats!

God has blessed you for a reason, Mike, and it sounds like you are well aware of that.

Bob Hunt

Online Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2023, 05:29:02 PM »
Mike,

Prayers work, I'm glad you realize God's goodness and you're situation appears positive.  He is always there when we least expect the next upsetting moment in life. Keep us posted on your recovery.

Steve

Offline Richard Fleming

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2023, 06:25:49 PM »
Amazing grace Mike. A good friend of mine had a stroke while at work this past December.  He was 55 at the time and he pulled through. God doesn't always give everyone a second chance and life is too short as it is. Glad you are still with us and praying for a speedy recovery brother.
AMA 83080
AHRMA 9827

Offline pat king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • PDK LLC
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2023, 06:49:05 PM »
Mike,
I am so glad they got to it before it killed you! When you realize that you are having a heart attack it is VERY SCARY!! Behave yourself and adjust your lifestyle to live with it. We need you around. The good LORD decided to keep you around so listen to the doctors and your maker.

Praying for you, Pat
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Online Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2023, 02:10:31 PM »
I want to say thank you to all those who have called, sent emails and text messages with the kind thoughts and prayers.  It is appreciated more than you know. 

Mike

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
    • Fellowship of Christan modelers
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2023, 06:32:21 AM »
Mike, praying for a full and complete recovery (along with FCM’s 143 members international prayer chain). Keep all of us informed as to how you’re doing.
Blessings

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2023, 09:03:38 AM »
Mike,
  I can certainly relate!  Dec. 4,2016, I suffered a heart attack from a 100% blockage of the left anterior descending artery (widowmaker). At the time of the incident, I was experiencing shockwaves going through my upper body. No real "Elizabeth I'm coming baby" type chest pain! I had no noticeable symptoms prior and at 52 years old it was certainly shocking!! My wife was told to get someone there with her as the outcome was not good. A week stay in the hospital nicknamed the "lucky one" by the nurses, I'm still here! Listen to your cardiologist and get walking with heart rate not to exceed recommended, get a FITBIT. I did 4 months of rehab at the local hospital program, as well. Also, walked around the block every hour while awake. I will add, all my control line buddies were awesome and extremely supportive! If you need to bounce anything off me, feel free to reach out.

All the best to you,

Tom
AMA 13001

Offline GallopingGhostler

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2023, 01:02:11 AM »
I got home 4 days later and I will tell you there is a spiritual light glowing inside of me that I can only describe as comfort and love and my life has been forever changed by the Grace of GOD.  I have no idea what his plans are for me but I will be the best servant for him that I can be. I am forever changed.

That is great, Mike, fantastic! :)

Quote from: James 5:16 WEB
Confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The insistent prayer of a righteous person is powerfully effective.

Glad to see the doctors praying for you.  H^^

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here