News:

• March 28, 2024, 04:27:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dr office tissue paper question  (Read 4794 times)

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
Dr office tissue paper question
« on: September 24, 2017, 04:30:25 PM »
I covered the fuse of my last plane in the Dr office tissue paper and it worked out great.

Has anyone had success using it on open bays?

Thanks
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Dr office tissue paper question
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 05:53:20 PM »
  The stuff I've bought in two different weights has worked well so far. Projects are not finished yet but initial application and first few coats of dope has gone just like in the old days.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline JoeJust

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 07:42:35 PM »
What I bought comes in 2" wide rolls. So far it is better and easier to use than old Silk Span.  Even on open bays I seems to be stronger.  but then again, I am not in any way a "Pro", so all I an offer is urban legion.
Joe
I only enter contests so somebody else is not always in last place

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 09:17:08 PM »
I bought a box of the stuff last year and have so far covered two airplane with it.
One with open bays (Collossus I Beamer) and the other is sheeted foam wing.  Both have turned out great so far.  They are not finished yet but to all accounts I would say the stuff is GREAT!

I gave several rolls to other folks in the Cholla Choppers but so far haven't got any feedback!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 05:50:52 AM »
Thanks guys for the feedback.
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 10:38:04 AM »
Ty is much better at it than I am.  I tried putting the stuff on the wing damp and had nothing but problems.   I also use stuff from fabric store called Mod-Podge.   It is heat activated after it dries and I guess that is why I had problems with the material being damp.   So I put it on dry and then I also don't use dope.   I cover it with a mylar covering like SLC from the Corehouse.   So far it is holding up well.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dave Harmon

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • Tulsa Glue Dobbers C/L and R/C Clubs
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 01:07:52 PM »
I bought a box of the stuff last year and have so far covered two airplane with it.
One with open bays (Collossus I Beamer) and the other is sheeted foam wing.  Both have turned out great so far.  They are not finished yet but to all accounts I would say the stuff is GREAT!

I gave several rolls to other folks in the Cholla Choppers but so far haven't got any feedback!

Randy Cuberly

Randy....

There have been several part numbers mentioned of the Dr. paper..
Which number did you use?....I'll see if I can get some locally.

Thanks...

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 02:25:31 PM »
Always remember that it was Frank D. who chased this stuff down for us. 

Offline George Albo

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
Darkness is dispelled with acts of kindness and selfless good deeds.

Offline George Albo

• 21 supporter
  • Commander

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 04:41:09 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/Tidi-Premium-Crepe-Table-916213/dp/B005OQUUMI/ref=sr_1_19?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1491103436&sr=1-19&keywords=Premium+Crepe+Exam+Table+Paper

This is the heavier of the two weights that I bought. Consult the thread on the subject and all the info is on there.

Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 05:22:04 PM »
Randy....

There have been several part numbers mentioned of the Dr. paper..
Which number did you use?....I'll see if I can get some locally.

Thanks...

Dave,
I believe you are right to ask that question because a little research shows that there are indeed several different types of this stuff called "Exam Table Paper".

The really strange part of it is that the stuff I ordered from Amazon was P/N TIDI 916213 Exam Table Paper.
The stuff I actually received came from OZ Medical Supply, 7343 -A South Hardy Drive, Tempe, Arizona 85283.  (602) 707-0820.  It has a different P/N and Is McKesson 18-1004.

Everything I've said about this stuff may only apply to this particular P/N.  Obviously there are different suppliers of the stuff and possibly different manufacturers with different formulations.

The only one I would currently trust to be the same as the old silkspan is the McKesson 18-1004 stuff.

Amazing how complicated otherwise simple things can get!

I did not notice any difference in these part numbers when I received the stuff.

At any rate, looking back through the previous thread I realized that there were several part numbers listed in various places, and began to check.  At this point the only thing I'm sure of is I have the McKesson 18-1004 Paper and it works.

Randy Cuberly
"Just when you think you've got everything in the box, the bottom falls out!" Unknown... <= LL~
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2017, 05:37:07 PM »
Dave,
I believe you are right to ask that question because a little research shows that there are indeed several different types of this stuff called "Exam Table Paper".

The really strange part of it is that the stuff I ordered from Amazon was P/N TIDI 916213 Exam Table Paper.
The stuff I actually received came from OZ Medical Supply, 7343 -A South Hardy Drive, Tempe, Arizona 85283.  (602) 707-0820.  It has a different P/N and Is McKesson 18-1004.

Everything I've said about this stuff may only apply to this particular P/N.  Obviously there are different suppliers of the stuff and possibly different manufacturers with different formulations.

The only one I would currently trust to be the same as the old silkspan is the McKesson 18-1004 stuff.

Amazing how complicated otherwise simple things can get!

I did not notice any difference in these part numbers when I received the stuff.

At any rate, looking back through the previous thread I realized that there were several part numbers listed in various places, and began to check.  At this point the only thing I'm sure of is I have the McKesson 18-1004 Paper and it works.

Randy Cuberly
"Just when you think you've got everything in the box, the bottom falls out!" Unknown... <= LL~

I believe the paper that has a 18-1004 number is the lighter of the two kinds. It may be from a different "manufacturer" from the label on the box but I'm wagering that it is all made at the same place, then sold under different names. The 18-1004 is more like the medium weight stuff in my opinion, and the 916213 is closer to the GM weight paper. Some one had some still in the package samples of each and weighed a sheet of each for me. Then I ran off a sheet of each weight DocSpan in equal square inches of area and the weight was just a few tenths of s gram off for each size, hardly worth worrying about. I was convinced it was the real deal when I tried handling it wet and it did not tear or shred.
  I wonder if the guy that paid 30 some odd dollars a sheet for ten sheets of some new old stock K&S silk span on eVilBay is watching this thread!!!!
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2017, 07:52:21 AM »
Similar story as Randy C.  above.   
Ordered from Amazon  "TIDI 981004 Crepe Exam Table Barrier, 125' Length, 21" Width, White (Pack of 12) ";
received McKesson 18-1004.   Just covered two Ringmasters with it this past week, works great on both open bays and solid surfaces.
I gave away most of the 1st case to club members, so I just ordered 2nd case, a lifetime supply for sure.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2017, 10:48:18 AM »
It just now hit me.  For all the help and work Dave Trible given me I relegated what was left of 00 Silk Span from SIG  Mfg. to him.   I think I used only one sheet out of the box.  Just wonder if it still inn Dave's back seat. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2017, 12:32:13 PM »

Guy's what method are you using to apply, as well as to seal? I am thing about poly crylic what have you used that works better?    Thanks a lot...
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline George Albo

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2017, 05:04:32 PM »
      I believe the paper that has a 18-1004 number is the lighter of the two kinds. It may be from a different "manufacturer" from the label on the box but I'm wagering that it is all made at the same place, then sold under different names. The 18-1004 is more like the medium weight stuff in my opinion, and the 916213 is closer to the GM weight paper. Some one had some still in the package samples of each and weighed a sheet of each for me. Then I ran off a sheet of each weight DocSpan in equal square inches of area and the weight was just a few tenths of s gram off for each size, hardly worth worrying about. I was convinced it was the real deal when I tried handling it wet and it did not tear or shred.
  I wonder if the guy that paid 30 some odd dollars a sheet for ten sheets of some new old stock K&S silk span on eVilBay is watching this thread!!!!
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

I spoke with McKesson. Their 18-1004 is the same as the TIDI 916213. I feel for the guy that spent $30 per sheet. I'm certain that he has read this by now and regrets that impulse bidding on fleabay

Offline Steve Hines

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2017, 05:09:49 PM »
Got mine from Tom morris have not tried it yet.

Steve

Offline Dave Harmon

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • Tulsa Glue Dobbers C/L and R/C Clubs
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2017, 11:13:07 PM »
I have been trading PM's with Randy.
I was wondering what 'crepe' means in relation to this paper.
Randy said he believed that word was sort of a paper industry term to describe the 'finish' of the paper...ie....slightly textured like what we call silkspan.
TIDI also has a 'smooth finish' listed on their site which likely means like Randy said....like shelf paper...ie...slick.
Probably not what we would want.

In any event....He assured me that the McKesson 18-1004 works great....not that I didn't believe him....but there HAD been a bunch of part numbers scattered over several threads that was confusing me.

Anyway....hopefully all this has cleared up any confusion that might be lingering.
Also....I should say that Randy was good enough to send me a roll of it...can't wait until it gets here.
Thanks Randy.....I really appreciate it!!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2017, 12:30:57 PM »
  Guy's what method are you using to apply, as well as to seal? I am thing about poly crylic what have you used that works better?    Thanks a lot...

I guess you didn't read my post earlier.  Really, go to the finish section and do a search on how Larry Renger and I do it.   No sealing of the paper with dope or poly-crylic.  That is what the mylar/SLC does. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2017, 01:42:25 PM »
No completed model to show but I built 2 Combat wing sets of Reilly Wooten's Demon
One wing silk n dope
One wing Poly span and SLC... faster, easier, lighter, and very hard to tell apart

Bob Mears building and finishing a LOT of planes for his combat museum has his own formula (a lot like Larry's) for Faux silk n dope...

The basic idea is the tissue...silk and paper substrate, needs to be filled/painted to be smooth and air tight
Larry found that putting on a good tight tissue covering and going over with a light weight film (SLC/Fas Cal/ Doculam) looked real good, and was actually stronger and lighter

I have so much more than I need of RSMs Polyspan and Dharma Silk I have no desire to get in on the doctor exam paper

One of these days I may go through all my horded older kits and pull out all the questionable discolored silk span and offer it to anyone who just has to have that nostalgia aggravation....

My 2 gallons of Randolph dope is gonna go a long way now thanks to Larry R and Bob M and all the guys who tried the lite film over tissue method successfully
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2017, 08:03:59 AM »
Two Ringmasters I'm doing with the doctor paper.  I put it on damp for both open bay and solid surface.  To get the paper "just right damp" I lay it on large towel, water spray till saturated, lay another towel on top, let it sit for a minute to totally relax, then blot out the excess water with top towel.  Done like this it will be dry in about 5 minutes and that's in 95+ humidity. 

These 2 birds are from Pat Johnston's #85 kit which has his +P airfoil.  I got the pushrod exiting thru the trailing edge, no cutting slots in the center sheeting..  Pushrod is .047 wire, the TE exit is real close to the midpoint from bellcrank to elev. horn, no other support required.  The wire is stiff enough and flexible enough to accommodate the minimal arcing of the horn..
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline George Albo

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2017, 01:54:25 PM »
Two Ringmasters I'm doing with the doctor paper.  I put it on damp for both open bay and solid surface.  To get the paper "just right damp" I lay it on large towel, water spray till saturated, lay another towel on top, let it sit for a minute to totally relax, then blot out the excess water with top towel.  Done like this it will be dry in about 5 minutes and that's in 95+ humidity. 

These 2 birds are from Pat Johnston's #85 kit which has his +P airfoil.  I got the pushrod exiting thru the trailing edge, no cutting slots in the center sheeting..  Pushrod is .047 wire, the TE exit is real close to the midpoint from bellcrank to elev. horn, no other support required.  The wire is stiff enough and flexible enough to accommodate the minimal arcing of the horn..

I likey!

Offline Blaine Buchtel

• 21 supporter
  • New Pilot
Allan Perret Ringmasters
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2017, 07:19:01 PM »
 Very nice work Allan, as usual. I hope one of them has my name on it along with a .19 size engine. Regards,Blaine

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2017, 07:28:45 PM »

Man!  That is Genius! Why have I never thought of that?

Mark

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2017, 07:40:41 PM »
Man!  That is Genius! Why have I never thought of that?

Mark
I'm always thinking outside the box.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Advertise Here
Tags: the paper caper 

Advertise Here