News:

• April 17, 2024, 11:11:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The color of the Skyray on SIG Box  (Read 1301 times)

Online Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
The color of the Skyray on SIG Box
« on: September 27, 2017, 04:51:39 PM »
Does anyone know the source/color of the paint, dope, covering etc. that is shown on the Skyray on the SIG Kit box?

Mike

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: The color of the Skyray on SIG Box
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 08:01:14 PM »
My first guess would be SIG Light Blue Dope and the silkspan that comes with the kit. I did my 1/2A Skyray that color dope and it looks amazingly like the box.  LL~
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 08:15:16 PM »
Sig has cut way back on their color selection, so the actual color may not be available any more.

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 09:01:53 PM »
Sig has cut way back on their color selection, so the actual color may not be available any more.
I checked SIG before my post and it is available.
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline pat king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • PDK LLC
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 09:03:37 PM »
Looks a lot like Petty Blue. LOL

Pat
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 10:09:40 PM »
Looks a lot like Petty Blue. LOL

Pat

That was my associative color choice also! 

Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 05:29:56 AM »
Does anyone know the source/color of the paint, dope, covering etc. that is shown on the Skyray on the SIG Kit box?

Mike

Mike,
It was light blue that matched the Supercoat blue (not sure it is still available).  I did have to add a little dark blues to the paint to get a better color match.  However, there were six prototypes built, Light Blue, Yellow, Red, Transparent Blue, and one really ugly one in light Blue Fabric that was used for Racing.   There was also one built with clear monocoat and the fuse was clear dope that was powered by a LA .15 and was later changed to a Fox plain bearing .25.  It was a fun project and it was was well received by modelers and dealers.
Later,
Mike Pratt 

Online Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 06:47:20 AM »
Mike,
It was light blue that matched the Supercoat blue (not sure it is still available).  I did have to add a little dark blues to the paint to get a better color match.  However, there were six prototypes built, Light Blue, Yellow, Red, Transparent Blue, and one really ugly one in light Blue Fabric that was used for Racing.   There was also one built with clear monocoat and the fuse was clear dope that was powered by a LA .15 and was later changed to a Fox plain bearing .25.  It was a fun project and it was was well received by modelers and dealers.
Later,
Mike Pratt

Thank you Mike.

Mike

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 09:08:11 PM »
Box art is a funny thing. When I was originally building this twister, I was emailing back and forth with Mike Gretz (god bless him). And we talked about things like the top and bottom being the same, construction of the original,  all that good stuff. I never asked him color, because my box art is clearly red. Then Dan McEntee posted something after Mike's passing that looked orange! Obviously Mr Pratt has answered the question. I just have thought my twister is funny. I wanted to replicate the box art and may just have the wrong color.

Pay no mind to the missing striping. This is during a repair....

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 09:28:30 PM »
Box art is a funny thing. When I was originally building this twister, I was emailing back and forth with Mike Gretz (god bless him). And we talked about things like the top and bottom being the same, construction of the original,  all that good stuff. I never asked him color, because my box art is clearly red. Then Dan McEntee posted something after Mike's passing that looked orange! Obviously Mr Pratt has answered the question. I just have thought my twister is funny. I wanted to replicate the box art and may just have the wrong color.

Pay no mind to the missing striping. This is during a repair....

That's a very faithful replica Dane, a project I've considered many times.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 09:37:24 PM »
    The box art colors is something that is easily changed when the labels are on press. it happens when the customer wants it, and sometimes by accident!  I'm working on a "box art" "original" SIG twister also. Stock as a rock, will be powered by a Fox .35 just because that is what the original had. It is in the first base coats of dope right now and hope to get back to it and finished in the coming months. The original is out there some where and Todd Lee provided the photo of it that was taken at a Polk City contest several years ago and confirmed it was orange.
   Good to see you check in Mikey Pratt!!!

Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here