News:

• May 06, 2024, 11:16:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Jetco Saber Stunt?  (Read 2077 times)

Offline David M Johnson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Jetco Saber Stunt?
« on: September 15, 2011, 01:04:35 PM »
I'm rebuilding a Saber Stunt with a OS Max-S 35 in it any pros cons or things to look out for?
David Johnson
We're havin some fun now!!

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Jetco Saber Stunt?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 01:12:43 PM »
Just try to lighten it, or at least not add anymore weight.  The design can get heavy (kit built) and it doesn't seem to like much weight. ;D

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 08:00:48 PM »
 I recently got ahold of a NIB kit myself. I've never flown one but what I see is a thin airfoil, pointy leading edge, and very short tail moments. Not a great recipe, but still a neat model to have some fun with. If I get around to building mine I think my initial move would be to lengthen the fuse an inch or two behind the flap line. It will probably get an FP .35 or .40 for motorvation.

Can we see some pics of yours? Things to look out for? MIGS!!! ;D
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 01:24:00 AM »
  All the usually warnings apply. Keep it light and use good, reliable power. A friend of mine flew his first full patterns with one, and some of those were at VSC in front of Bill Zimmer judging! We built up a hot rod Fox .35 for it using all of the tricks known at the time and he did fairly well with it. It does have a thin airfoil, but if kept light, with good power and flown smoothly it will present a decent pattern. If you can find someone with one of those large Guillow's WW-2 models, the decal in those are about the right size, or maybe you can get them from Guillow's. I have always liked the looks of that model, whether it's a world beater stunter or not! I don't have one in my kit collection but given the chance at one I will!
   Good luck with it,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline David M Johnson

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 11:51:17 AM »
Photos as requested. This plane came from a storage unit that was full of planes. the man died and the family had no interest some of the planes were beyond repair and dismantled for engines and or parts. I got this plane, a Sig Chipmunk, and a fresh Fox .35

Offline David M Johnson

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 11:52:52 AM »
More

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 06:26:23 PM »
David from past experience in rebuilding planes others have built I would open up the bottom sheeting and check the bellcrank,leadouts and controle horns. From your photos this plane was not built by a advanced modeler. The large gap in the flap hinge and the way the flap horn is installed shows that it was built buy some one who followed the instructions but had little real experience building stunt models. Poor controles are the most commom problem with a finished model. I never bother with someone model unless he is a well known builder.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 06:55:13 PM »
Randy Ryan would be the one to ask about this plane. His is a real beauty.
Bill Morell
It wasn't that you could and others couldn't, its that you did and others didn't.
Vietnam 72-73
  Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 08:13:02 PM »
Randy Ryan would be the one to ask about this plane. His is a real beauty.

To say the least! The finish on Randy's Saber is the benchmark I always strive for.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 08:39:42 PM »
 Thanks for the pics David, looks like it's already in restoration mode. The pics are always good inspiration to get going on a model. Please keep us posted on your plans with it.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline donald raab

• Ensign
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 09:58:05 PM »
Don't know how far along you are.  if not too far i would crank up the dremel.  lightning holes in the stab elevator.  maybe in the flaps near the wing rout.  remve the sheeting from the canopy.  remove the blocks and hollow them out.  as mentioned above redo the controls and hinges.  over and under hinges work real well.  where ou can get to them lighting holes in the ribs.  with the blocks off 3/16 holes in the motor mounts.  make sure the le is rounded equally as much as possible.  light silkspan ovr everything and a good sport finish.  it will be a lot of fun

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here