News:

• April 25, 2024, 02:42:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: bulk brushes (acid epoxy)  (Read 781 times)

Offline Fred Quedenfeld jr

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
bulk brushes (acid epoxy)
« on: June 21, 2019, 05:34:47 AM »
Where can you get the big box of acid brushes you know the ones you throw away after mixing the epoxy
Tower is out   Horror freight is just a small bag
Fred Q

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: bulk brushes (acid epoxy)
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 05:58:36 AM »
Hi Fred:

My wife can get them in gross boxes where she works. They are not expensive. Want me to order you a box? I need some more anyway (I usually order them in three-box lots and then reorder when I'm into the last of the three boxes).

Here's a tip on acid brushes: They are sometimes not bound too tightly at the bezel, and "hairs" are like to come out when applying the epoxy. Simply wick a bit of thin CA into the bezel a few minutes before use, and that will stop the "shedding."

Later - Bob Hunt   

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 06:59:19 AM »
I haven't seen bags of them at our local HF...they have singles or boxes.  I buy boxes of 24 there.
Bill P.

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 08:10:48 AM »
It's just too easy to buy them at Harbor Freight. Even in the smaller quantities, the cost per brush is still about as cheap as you will find. Although, letting Bob Hunt get them for you is pretty easy also!

BB

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 09:34:11 AM »
3 bags from H/F last me for months and less hassle than ordering over the internet
rad racer

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 09:48:54 AM »
So, what do you use the epoxy brushes for?  For that matter, how helpful are epoxy cups?  Is the idea to pour the epoxy into the cups, then mix and apply with the brushes?  Myself, I've always made two small piles of epoxy on flat cardboard, then mixed/applied with a balsa stick or cut cardboard, depending on the application size/shape.

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2019, 09:51:40 AM »
Bob just busting your chops a bit...  my search took less than 15 seconds
My closest HF is an hour away....fuel and my time cost.......

Also I would never go to a store ANY distance for a single $10~20 buck purchase....acid brushes at HF would cost me a lot in impulse buying

Amazon is free tomorrow or next day delivery on a lot of stuff to my rural location

https://smile.amazon.com/Pro-Grade-Supplies-Plumbing-Inexpensive-Brushes/dp/B01NBTV5V2/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=bulk+acid+brushes&qid=1561131981&s=gateway&sr=8-3
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2019, 12:21:01 PM »
Hi Fred:

My wife can get them in gross boxes where she works. They are not expensive. Want me to order you a box? I need some more anyway (I usually order them in three-box lots and then reorder when I'm into the last of the three boxes).

Here's a tip on acid brushes: They are sometimes not bound too tightly at the bezel, and "hairs" are like to come out when applying the epoxy. Simply wick a bit of thin CA into the bezel a few minutes before use, and that will stop the "shedding."

Later - Bob Hunt

That is a great tip Bob.  I had cussed those loose bristles for years and never thought of the thin CA.  I learn something new everyday here.

Mike

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2019, 05:57:30 PM »
You can get them by the hundred at Micro Fasteners for about $14.00

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2019, 11:57:27 PM »
So, what do you use the epoxy brushes for?  For that matter, how helpful are epoxy cups?  Is the idea to pour the epoxy into the cups, then mix and apply with the brushes?  Myself, I've always made two small piles of epoxy on flat cardboard, then mixed/applied with a balsa stick or cut cardboard, depending on the application size/shape.

It's mostly useful for brushing thin epoxy for fuel-proofing purposes.

Mixing it in a cup can have some interesting side-effects - like the tendency to self-heat, to the point it boils and sets itself off in 1/4 the normal time! Some types are worse than others, but beware this effect, particularly when using "finishing" epoxy or need a long working time, like sheeting a foam wing.   In those cases, I mix up much more than needed in the cup (required for accurate measuring), mix it very thoroughly, then pour it out in a puddle on a sheet of aluminum foil. That keeps it from heating itself up too much and starting to cure early.

The best thin epoxies I have found for not self-heating in the cup are Aerospace Compositites "EZ-Lam" 30 and 60 minute types. Pot or puddle, it's about the same, and never catches you unaware.     The worst I have ever found (for this characteristic, although it's good otherwise) is PIC Coating Epoxy, last time I used it, at about 80 degrees ambient, it boiled in the cup, then melted it!  The hardener also catalyzed it's way out of a heavy polypropylene container, and also one of those waxy plastic disposable food container. Bob Smith 20 minute "Finish Cure" got so hot in about 15 minutes that it was uncomfortable to hold on to, just a few weeks ago, and set up hard in about 1/2 hour, while the same stuff brushed to an airplane took a good 8 hours.

Brett

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2019, 12:53:31 AM »
Where can you get the big box of acid brushes you know the ones you throw away after mixing the epoxy
Tower is out   Horror freight is just a small bag
Fred Q

MSC direct  has them

Randy

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here