News:

• April 25, 2024, 11:03:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bud Wieder Information  (Read 2050 times)

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
Bud Wieder Information
« on: October 07, 2019, 08:22:50 PM »

I just heard Bud Wieder suffered a heart attack and passed away.

I mention this as he was a brilliant stunt flyer and gave me some great finishing advice.

I dont want to step on anyones toes with saying how much of value he was to the broader community. I only met him a handful of times personally.

I only just found out , it is very sad as he was a really nice guy, and his Ryans eagle stunt planes not only were exceptional but were a tribute to his son, who has his own story attached.

If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Bud Wieder Information
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 06:28:14 AM »
Buddy passed away yesterday at 2:30 PM from a sudden heart attack. His wife, Bette called me around 4:30 PM to inform me of his passing, and told me it was very sudden.

I could not bring myself to post here about it last night. I was - and still am - devastated by this news. I've known Buddy since around 1959, but in recent years we had become as close as brothers. He was my best friend in the world, and we spoke nearly every day on the phone. I cannot fathom not having Buddy around; he was an integral part of my life.

I've never known a more devoted husband and father. I've never had a more giving and loyal friend. Buddy was always there for me no matter what, and I tried to do the same for him. Buddy was, well, my buddy! I will miss him for the rest of my life, but i will always cherish the hundreds of days we spent together building, flying, golfing, fixing cars, painting rooms, traveling to contests, watching the Yankees (there was never a more avid Yankee fan than Buddy... except for maybe his wife!), busting each other's chops about our respective favorite football teams (I am a lifelong Giants fan, and Buddy was a lifelong Jets fan), and much, much more.

Buddy was a gifted flier, and back in the late 1950s and early 1960s, he was the top Senior flier on the East Coast. In 1962 he placed second at the Nats in the extremely competitive Senior division after having done a maneuver out of sequence and not getting pattern points. He would have easily won had he not done that maneuver out of sequence. Then he quit flying for nearly 45 years. He was also a prodigy baseball player, and his teams won many regional and state championships. Buddy was even invited to tryout as a short stop for two major league teams. He didn't make the cut for pro ball, but went on to become an outstanding high school baseball coach, with his teams winning many titles in New Jersey and the eastern region. Many of the players that Buddy coached went on the become major league players, and he was extremely proud of them. And, they all kept in touch with him for the remainder of his life. He touched so many people in such positive ways...

When Buddy returned to flying around 2002, I immediately saw that the amazing talent he had as a Junior and Senior flier had not diminished a bit, and offered to help him get back up to speed building, and also offered to coach him in flying. From that point on we were inseparable friends, and along with Tom Hampshire, Frank Imbriaco, Rich Giacobone, and John D'Ottavio (Buddy's mentor when he first started flying), we became a group that hung out together and flew on an almost daily basis. We called ourselves the "Brothers," and we had tons of fun flying, building and busting each other's chops (It’s an East Coast thing...). 

I've left to last the relationship that Buddy had with his son, Ryan. At the age of 2, Ryan contracted the dreaded disease Epilepsy. The symptoms disappeared for several years but then returned at age 7, and would continue from that point on. Ryan would get as many as 400 seizures a day. In the morning Ryan would get a few Grand Mal type seizures that many associate with the disease, but for the remainder of the day he would get Absence seizures. This type of seizure causes the person to seem to stare aimlessly out into space, and Ryan experienced hundreds of these every day. In many cases while he was having an Absence Seizure he would lose his balance and fall. He broke several bones because of this affliction, and either Bette or Buddy would have to walk close by Ryan to prevent him from falling. To see the love and care that Bette has and Bud had for Ryan, and their infinite patience and understanding, was totally inspirational to all who were around them. Ryan and Buddy were best friends and did everything together. I think of Ryan as my third son…

The above only scratches the surface of how I feel about Buddy. He was one of God’s very special creations. I’ll miss him dearly for the rest of my life.

Godspeed my good friend and rest now in the Peace you’ve earned.

Bob Hunt

« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 07:41:23 AM by Bob Hunt »

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 07:50:46 AM »
I'm totally and completely heartbroken.
Spent the morning at his house a week ago today. As usual, he was doing me a favor. Never had a better friend. So energetic, so full of life. The very,very best Dad and husband.
Buddy was a few years older than me. In the early sixties, I read about him in model magazines. When I joined the Union(NJ) Model Airplane Club in 1965, Buddy was already out of the hobby but John D'Ottavio and Larry Scarinzi spoke of him and his talents many, many times. We  formally met 10 years years at the GSCB field . I was happy to become a member of his circle of friends and also rekindle old ties with Bob Hunt,  a guy that I've known since we were teens back in the sixties. All of us real brothers, as Bob aptly described.

All I can say is that Heaven is a better place now that Bud Weider has arrived. He's probably either tooling around in his Cobra or burning in a magnificent pattern with his Ryan's Eagle.

Offline john simpson

• New Pilot
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 08:22:46 AM »
I also considered Bud a very close friend, though I only saw him at Brodak's and the Nats and shared many phone calls. Sitting under the trees at Brodak talking with Bud, Bette and Ryan is a memory I will cherish forever. Everything Bob said is true but only scratched the surface.

I feel  very empty because of our lose and can't imagine what Bette and Ryan are going through now. Let us keep them in our prayers and look forward to brighter days ahead.

John Simpson

Offline Gene Martine

• 2019 supporter
  • Commander
  • Started flying 1952 (AMA 2903)
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 12:30:36 PM »
 My sincere condolences to Bette & Ryan.
 Gene & Carol

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 11:05:18 AM »
I got to meet Buddy at the NATS and realized he was someone I wished I could get closer to.  I did not know about his son.  Thanks for the info Bob and I know you wil miss him but think of all the happy times together. :(
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2019, 06:57:44 AM »
A pic of Buddy, Ryan and an electric version of Ryan's Eagle

Offline Reuben MacBride

• Ensign
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2019, 08:00:45 AM »
Sorry to hear about Buddy. My condolences  to his Family.
Reuben & Steven
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 07:41:13 PM by Reuben MacBride »

Online EricV

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2019, 12:25:15 PM »
This is really sad news. Buddy called me out of the blue to congratulate me after I had done well at a contest in 2010. Just wanted to say congrats, and hi. I was surprised and flattered he even knew who I was. A real nice guy. He always made it a point to say hi at the Nat's there after, and always had a kind word of encouragement. I can see why so many people feel his loss.
My condolences to his family, wife Bette & son Ryan.
EricV

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
    • Fellowship of Christan modelers
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2019, 04:08:51 PM »
So surprised and sad to hear of Buds passing. Praying for the family and friends.
Blessings

Offline James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2019, 07:08:21 PM »
Such sad news, such a huge loss.  Buddy was a super nice guy.  We met him several years ago flying Classic at the Nat's (I think he won Classic that year).  Praying for his family.

James
AMA 491167

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2019, 06:53:38 AM »
I met Buddy a few years ago at the Nats and a time or two after.  He could instantly become anyone's best friend.  A big loss to any who knew him.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2019, 08:41:39 PM »
Every time I got to spend some time with Buddy was an absolute joy. I spent a lot of time with him at contests in the northeast when I was growing up, watching him fly his Caprice and his Ryan’s Eagle. I haven’t talked to Buddy much over the last couple years but always enjoyed seeing a comment from him on facebook. I was shocked when I read that he passed away. My condolences to Bette and Ryan
Matt Colan

Offline SteveMoon

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
    • www.ultrahobbyproducts.com
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2019, 11:04:32 AM »
I'm really sorry to hear this about Bud. He was a genuinely nice guy
who was always in a good mood. A really positive guy.

Steve

Offline Gene Martine

• 2019 supporter
  • Commander
  • Started flying 1952 (AMA 2903)
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2019, 12:54:56 PM »
 On of the best pictures I have ever taken.  (2011 nationals)

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2019, 05:45:06 PM »
Hi Gene :
Yes, a fabulous picture. Just 11 days ago, Bud suggested that we take a pic together with our Ryan's Eagles.
Bob Hunt reminded me that he has that very picture and I hope he posts it.
Frank

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here