News:

• April 19, 2024, 05:57:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodak junk wars  (Read 2016 times)

Online bob whitney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Brodak junk wars
« on: September 16, 2021, 10:34:06 AM »
what are the rules for next years Brodak junk yard wars ,and what materials will we be using
rad racer

Offline Brendan Eberenz

• Lieutenant
Re: Brodak junk wars
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2021, 09:41:30 AM »
While we are on the topic of the Brodak Junk yard Wars, I looked at some of the past rules (2017; https://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/junkyard-wars-brodak/msg516601/#msg516601) and saw the power source locked in as "Engine,  maximum displacement  of 25 size engine ( glow or Diesel ) , or Fox 35."

I fly and build electric, and this is all I know. But I have an 11 year old son that would probably give his left arm (he flies right handed so he needs to keep that arm) to compete in the Junk Yard Wars event next spring. Is there any way that we can open it up to electric set-ups as well to broaden the range of competitors? Unless others have something to add, I don't believe an electric setup offers an unfair advantage.

- Brendan

Online bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 02:11:46 AM »
the electric motor would need to have no more power than a Fox 35   
rad racer

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 03:18:46 AM »
Enjoyed watching the 2019 build.  The primary construction materiel appeared to be "coroplast," the plastic corrugated sign making sheets.  The teams brought their own "power units" that had some degree of pre-fabrication.  The teams that did well had practiced all aspects of the event.
 Makes sense to open the event to electric.  I believe the event included balloon bust, though there were some memorable complete patterns, as well.

Offline Kim Doherty

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2021, 10:58:01 AM »
Do they make an electric motor that does not have more power than a Fox 35? LL~

Ken

Yes. The one in your toothbrush! 😂😂

Kim

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2021, 02:17:20 PM »
Do they make an electric motor that does not have more power than a Fox 35? LL~

Ken
Cobra C-2202/70 Brushless Motor, Kv=1530  swings a 7x4 at 7,500 RPM.   Z@@ZZZ     LL~
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline De Hill

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2021, 03:05:28 PM »
I find it amusing that some of the electric flyers tout the superiority of the electric motor over the glow motor.

More consistent run, fewer in flight failures, easier starting, etc. etc.

Wouldn't the electric motors have a distinct advantage in the Brodak junk yard wars?

If you have ever watched the junk yard wars, you know what I mean.
De Hill

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2021, 07:43:43 PM »
I find it amusing that some of the electric flyers tout the superiority of the electric motor over the glow motor.

More consistent run, fewer in flight failures, easier starting, etc. etc.

Wouldn't the electric motors have a distinct advantage in the Brodak junk yard wars?

If you have ever watched the junk yard wars, you know what I mean.

Not trying to start a fight.  I do fly electric however I don't have a dog in in the junk yard wars.  Never been able to attend the Brodak fly-in.   At My age it's doubtful I ever will.   For what it's worth there are probably two events that should be forever gas powered events.  That's 1/2A events and Brodak junk yard wars.  Talking to people that have attended Brodak junk yard wars the event is a blast.   As the old saying goes if it ain't broke don't fix it.   Looking forward to seeing some pictures from the latest Brodak junk yard wars.   y1   #^    ;D
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Tim Stagg

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2021, 06:54:02 AM »
All,

As the event director for the junk yard wars, i am sorry but this event will remain as a glow only event. I too fly electric for most of my CL activities and i understand the wanting to make it possible for this event as well. The largest factor in this decision is for safety concerns. Lipo batteries represent a safety hazard for this event due to the unknown nature of the flying qualities of the model and the chance for fire if the batteries are ruptured.

I realize this may be small, but I have had a fire on two different occasions after a crash, not a pretty scene.

Thanks for the request, but this will remain a glow only event.

Tim
Tim Stagg

Online bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2021, 08:54:11 AM »
what will we be using for materials
rad racer

Online bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2021, 11:45:22 PM »
will we be using coroplast again
rad racer

Offline Tim Stagg

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2021, 07:12:59 AM »
Bob,

The rules will be the same as last year and Coroplast will be allowed for some components
Tim Stagg

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2021, 06:41:26 PM »
Bob,

The rules will be the same as last year and Coroplast will be allowed for some components
Tim I have maybe 15 sheets left that I can donate if you wish. I can dig it out and get you an exact count.  Unless you have a supplier in mind already.
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2021, 08:59:53 PM »
Tim I have maybe 15 sheets left that I can donate if you wish. I can dig it out and get you an exact count.  Unless you have a supplier in mind already.

Think political signs!! Lots of stores have point of purchase displays and such made from the stuff, and other forms of advertising. Keep your eyes peeled for signs in the 3 foot by 5 foot range. Repurposing the stuff kind of fits into the spirit of the event!! Small sheets for yard signs can be purchased at hardware stores also.  When we were developing the TuffBaby trainer, there was a local primary election that spring, and on the way home from work after midnight on election night, I cleared off lawns and lots along the 25 mile route from where I worked in South St. Louis County to where I live in North St. Louis County!
    Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2021, 07:02:13 AM »
reserve 4 sheets for the Florida wrecking crew or we can bring our own Rad
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 09:06:02 AM by bob whitney »
rad racer

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2021, 05:07:21 AM »
How about ????

Offline Tim Stagg

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2021, 07:48:39 AM »
Mike,

That would be great if you could bring what you have, I was not planning on suppling any, in some ways I feel that it detracts from the original intent of the event, however it does provide a much better flying machine and the event is really just as much about showmanship and the performance than the model itself. You still need a good, creative model....but.....

Give us a crowd pleasing performance, that is what is going to win this event.
Tim Stagg

Online bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2021, 09:10:10 AM »
greatest show on earth
rad racer

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here