News:

• April 16, 2024, 12:07:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodak Buster  (Read 1576 times)

Offline Harry Rice

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Brodak Buster
« on: October 02, 2006, 07:27:22 AM »
Hello People,

In a moment of weakness I placed a bid (which I thought was pretty low for UK - equiv 56 USD inc post) on one of these on Ebay.....not expecting to win it.....oops!

Does anyone have any experience of these e.g. what to not use out of the kit, changes to kit etc.?

If by chance anyone has a photo of a finished one (better than the Brodak site pic) I would be most appreciative.

Cheers

Harry (sobered up now!)

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Brodak Buster
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 07:57:54 AM »
Don't change a thing. Excellent fun plane. I've a Tower 40 on mine that honks. Flies fast like a slow combat ship. Turns tight loops without slowing down. Everyone in our club who takes a flight laughs a lot and winds up a fan of the combo. Mine built very light using the Brodak wood. Despite the comparatively heavy 40 (I use a tongue muffler, but still it's obviously more nose weight than a 25) the Buster turns fast and goes where I point. The wing/stab/elevator moments/size must be well matched. Certainly the Buster would fly with a 25, since it rocket with a 40. If you're up for some reflex tuning stick on a 40. Not a serious stunt plane. But as a sport plane, oblivious to the wind, willing to jump when you pull jump, love it.

As for mods, even used the light ply doublers, supplied. Usually I beef up the front end with five ply. The light ply has held up with the Tower, no bad vibes or loosening. I glued on two 1/32" ply tabs at the middle of the top and bottom of the trailling edge to reinforce the stress point. (Can save a wing rebuild from a dork). Reinforced the anchor points of the wire landing gear. That's it. Monokote wings. The rest doped silkspan covered wood.

Offline Harry Rice

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 08:05:52 AM »

Thanks Dennis,

Just the sort of info I was looking for - as least it's not a "lemon"!

I have a .19 PAW diesel I was thinking of putting in it - any thoughts? (Or any other diesel nut out there have advice?)

Cheers

Harry

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 08:54:34 AM »
In the US all diesels are a novelty. It seems to me that PAW should pull it if it pulls like a good 25 or 19 glow. Diesels have a little more torque, right, than a typical glow. My original Buster was the CG kit, it flew with a fox 35, a much milder ship that showed the same balance as the Brodak plane with the potent Tower 40. I've gathered PAW 19s are a common choice in the UK for sport planes in the Ringmaster/Buster/Flite Streak size range, planes commonly fox 35 powered in the US. If so, should make for a balanced fun plane. Interestingly enough I put together my own design with a Buster Profile, thick airfoil, longer rear moment arm and flaps. Same 40" wing length. An LA25 was over matched. Had to go to a honking Tower 40. Still sorting the plane out. It flies now, something more like a stunt plane, but a bit  fast. Probably a tweener. But the wood in my experiment was not carefully chosen and the airfoil is fat. So. A stock Buster, no flaps, with the typical good Brodak wood. Should work with a 25 or 19 glow. Guess you can fly the PAW19 with 52' .012 lines, at least initially, seeing if you've got the power to keep the plane out on the lines.

What's the story with the PAW19, run characteristics, reliability, typical prop size/rpm etc? Must be an attractive engine. Hear about them. What's nice about that diesel?

Thanx,

Dennis Moriz

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 09:30:04 AM »
From what little experience I have had with diesels, that PAW 19 should be a great combination.  I know diesels will turn bigger diameter props than glow as well as pitch.  Some like PAW just don't turn the higher RPM.  Just build it straight and light.  Also keep us informed how it works.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Harry Rice

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 09:45:30 AM »
Hi Folks,

Dennis,

fyi,

PAW 1.9 gives 0.36 BHP @ 15,500; weighs 170g (6 ounces); Prop sizes from 10x6 to 7x6

I have heard that they do not like being upside down mounted, but I have spoken to PAW and they say it will be no problem. ( I realise this is side mounted, but thought I'd mention it as I had intended to put one in a RSM Feno which is on it's way from USA via a tortuous route...)

and: No batteries to cart about, and the smell of that fuel......wow!!!

(Plus they are made in England!!!!!)

DOC,

Will keep you all updated - don't hold your breath though, may be some time...

Cheers

Harry

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here