News:

• June 07, 2024, 10:03:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodak 049's  (Read 1952 times)

Offline Gary Dowler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Brodak 049's
« on: June 23, 2017, 09:02:15 AM »
Ok, I am curious how the Brodak 049's compare in functionality to a more traditional Cox golden bee. They have an advantage of using standard glow plugs, and can be beam mounted. How are they for power, reliability, etc?? Never laid hands on one, yet.
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline badbill

• Commander
Re: Brodak 049's
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 09:13:34 AM »
They suck. My buddy had one on a Brodak Lil Jumping bean and it wouldn't even loop. Took a long time to break in also, but never developed any more power. Ran good though. He pulled it and put a Medallion on it and it sparkled.
Bill Davenport
AMA 28141
If some is good, and more is better, then too much is just right!

Offline Fredvon4

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 10:36:27 AM »
NIB Cox TeeDees and Medallions are a bit pricey so I find many in LOT sales and rebuild as necessary...many run just fine once cleaned

Through MECOA, ExModel Engines, and Cox International they are 90% rebuild-able... crank cases being hard to find

New Reed valve versions are reasonably priced although I am not partial to the plastic back plates

Norvel now longer has their very good .049s but the AME and Big Mig .061s are still for sale and a very good engine once broken it

So there are several much better options IMO than the Brodak .049

Disclosure , I have never bothered to buy the Brodak .049---- while I do love and appreciate most all of what John does for the hobby ---and I buy a lot from Brodak....

BUT; on the Cox Engine forum there are a lot of folks saying just what Bad Bill did... under powered for the weight

I never did see if the Galbreath head and a Nelson plug will work on Brodak's .049 but that combo does work on all Cox and NV .049/ .061 and really wakes the engine up...and if the head and plug fit the Brodak .049 I would seriously do that

Member Ken Cook should see this thread and give his learned opinions...if not PM him...I am sure he has a lot of first hand experience with that engine

"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline George Albo

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 10:50:10 AM »
Gary, you may want to go to the coxengineforum.com and ask them about the half-a engines. They have a wealth of info on there.
Darkness is dispelled with acts of kindness and selfless good deeds.

Online Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 11:52:43 AM »
Ok, I am curious how the Brodak 049's compare in functionality to a more traditional Cox golden bee. They have an advantage of using standard glow plugs, and can be beam mounted. How are they for power, reliability, etc?? Never laid hands on one, yet.

Gary - which Brodak 049 are you running?

MK I (anodized head) or MK II (three screw head)?

Bob Z.

Offline Fredvon4

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 12:28:54 PM »
Hey Bob.. Gary said he never touched on yet

So the assumption is he is considering getting one or more

Perhaps Bill and I at out of touch and second or third generation versions are much better

Sounds like you have some insight... I listen to a LOT of what YOU say.... grin

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline badbill

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 01:17:08 PM »
Nope Fred... My buddy's was the latest version, and he knows what he is doing with model engines ... ( TDBandit on the Cox Engine Forum )
Bill Davenport
AMA 28141
If some is good, and more is better, then too much is just right!

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 01:22:48 PM »
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Online kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 02:12:07 PM »
       Bill I have to say your opening statement made me laugh. I have experience with both of the versions. Don't expect Norvel performance . If you would like a Norvel though I currently have one listed in the classifieds. Here is my experience which I wrote about on Stuka Stunt a few years ago .

I will offer my experiences. I used both the MK1 and the MKII. The MKI was a Chinese engine produced by CS. This engine is no longer offered by Brodak and parts availability is thinning. This engine was down on power for my style of flying but reliability was good in terms of consistency. This engine was offered with a regular glow plug which in my opinion is a very poor option for 1/2A engines. Henry Nelson made a head to accept Nelson plugs for the CS version. This head though at the time was $35  I modified the stock head to accept Merlin style head buttons and this GREATLY improved performance and starting.

The MKII, made in Moldavia by the same makers as the larger .40 and .25's. AAC construction which to me is a very nice offering for an engine that typically doesn't receive this until you get into the $200. The MKII shares no parts with the MK1, it also comes with no muffler. In addition, it utilizes that same regular glow plug head. Again, this robs several hundred rpm's. I have no idea why the designer would utilize this. Nelson plugs are currently the least expensive plugs with the best reliability and they yield the highest rpm. Why wouldn't you use them? I've seen the MKII running with a Nelson plug. Power was up but this requires a machinist to make a entire head for this to work. A Nelson plug typically yields 800-1000 rpm's over most plugs.

The MKII is also very very mild. I believe there is a lot of hidden power within this engine. The crankshaft is designed like the Cox Medallion. A hotter crank should've been offered for this engine to allow for high performance. I found it to be extremely tight initially requiring my standard go through and loosening up. Fuel recommendations for both engines were 10% nitro and 20% oil. A BIG THUMBS DOWN. I quickly threw out that idea and went with my standard 1/2A Sig 35% nitro fuel. Automatically easier starts and the engine responded with a traditional 1/2A attitude. I also found the APC 5x3 made the best rpm's. My bench testing received 21700 rpm's using the APC. This engine runs very reliably and smooth. One thing I didn't do was weigh the engine and draw comparisons.

Both Brodak engines will fly all of Brodak's offerings. His 1/2A kit line is fabulous. I never had a Brodak 1/2A that didn't fly well. In addition, these engines will fly all the traditional 1/2A's. However both engines are beam mounted engines. John has redesigned many of his kits to accept beam mounts and therefore this shouldn't be an issue. I just redesign the firewall to accept a Dave Brown mount for beam mounted Cox TD's, Norvel's etc. The MK 1 has the same bolt pattern as the Norvel and others. I never bothered to check but I hope the MK II does.

Line length on these can range from 35'-40'. You could use Spiderwire and probably and I mean that conservatively try 42'. TO keep the speeds up, keeping the line length in the 40' range would be my recommendation. 35' is the standard Cox length, but both the NK1 and MkII make a bit more power. All of this is relative to the plane your flying so keeping different line lengths is in order. I also fly 1/2A's like the larger models so my style of flying demands pretty much all the power I can get. These engines were geared towards the sport flyer and the beginner. I enjoyed using both of them. I do feel the MK II for the money is a good buy. Ken

Offline Fredvon4

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 02:16:04 PM »
While I think Dave's link to Norvel is a great to better option.... unfortunately the .049 line is sold out and I doubt any more will be made

BUT--- tho a little pricey ---the .061 Big Mig is a very good engine for most larger 1/2a planes.
But IMO a tad too much for a Sig Sky ray  (flat wing). I got tired of fiddling with air leaks on a Cox Black widow on the sky Ray... Texas Timers sells a screw in back plate to the Norvel engines that allows radial mount...Way too much engine!  

And all my Aero (short snout) NV Combat .049s are also too much engine for the Sky Ray

BUT the NV Big Mig .061 on the Brodak Lil Jumpin Bean is just right.. built up wing on 42' Spectra fishing lines

Next up when I have the time: Norvel/ maybe Cox Medallion  powered 1/2a Baby Clown and Baby Ringmaster...Brodak kits

Edited in... I trust Ken Cook's experience and will seriously consider getting a Brodak .049 to play with

Fred von Gortler IV

Online kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 03:13:46 PM »
          I ran both on suction no uniflow. However, I did use a balloon tank on one the CS version. I didn't open the venturi on either of them. I did have the CS version running well with the APC 4.6x 3. While I was nearing the rpm's I desire, the drive just wasn't there. Walt you would be the one to fiddle with the MK II. I'm absolutely certain you could get this going to some good rpm's. I think in it's current stock status, the crank timing could be altered by doing some grinding which could really improve rpm's.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here