News:

• April 18, 2024, 04:06:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brian Gardner LA .25 ABC Sets  (Read 25340 times)

Offline Brian Gardner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Re: Brian Gardner LA .25 ABC Sets
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2016, 05:16:12 PM »
Production has to fit in around other work with the machinist. I can never be sure on delivery times. Often it is 6 months especially for large quantity runs like this one.

Any word on production, will we see them in time to fly this season?

Thanks,
MM

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2016, 06:02:18 PM »
Confirming for two sets.  Do you want a deposit, Brian?

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Brian Gardner

• Captain
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2016, 08:54:37 PM »
You're on the list for 2 sets Randy.

I'd rather not take money yet due to the time delays we always have on my sets. I keep records of it all but I don't expect people to be out of pocket for 6 months etc.

Confirming for two sets.  Do you want a deposit, Brian?

Randy Cuberly

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2016, 07:55:52 AM »
Random question: can this guy make LA25 crankshafts...more specifically, reverse-turning ones?

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2016, 11:47:56 AM »
Not being a smart guy brother Sean.. hit the e-mail link for Brian in Australia and ask him

I have many e-mails back and forth ref the Fox MK IV VI sets, and he is real good at communicating by e-mail

In my research on Brian here, I did not see any mention of doing crank shafts.... but sounds like (to me) he has the resources to do it

PS you still owe me a APO address...grin
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Brian Gardner

• Captain
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2016, 06:15:45 PM »
Hey Sean. Can do cranks - if you want 15 of them.

Random question: can this guy make LA25 crankshafts...more specifically, reverse-turning ones?

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2016, 02:17:36 PM »
Interesting.  In several conversations with dad, we talked about doing twins--one that comes to mind being Jack Sheeks's Mosquito--and power them with 2xOS25s, but with counter-rotating props.  The big challenge is finding a left-handed crank.

How much for 15 of them, out of curiosity?  ;D

Offline Brian Gardner

• Captain
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2016, 05:29:51 PM »
PM sent

Interesting.  In several conversations with dad, we talked about doing twins--one that comes to mind being Jack Sheeks's Mosquito--and power them with 2xOS25s, but with counter-rotating props.  The big challenge is finding a left-handed crank.

How much for 15 of them, out of curiosity?  ;D

Offline Brian Gardner

• Captain
« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2016, 02:06:50 AM »
These should be ready in the next month. I'll be contacting everyone on the list for payment after you guys are finished with the nats.

Offline Brian Gardner

• Captain
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2016, 10:44:41 PM »
OK fellas. These will be ready in a couple of weeks so I need to start chasing payment. I'll be sending PM's to everybody on the list in coming days.

Brian

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2016, 07:10:17 AM »
    Thanks Brian, Payment sent.
Al

Offline Brian Gardner

• Captain
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2016, 07:44:02 AM »
I'd like to put out a heartfelt thankyou to all that have paid for their LA25 ABC sets a few weeks in advance.

As some of you know I live on a disability pension these days and do this to keep me occupied and feeling useful. Each production run I do does create a financial strain until paid for.

So thankyou fellas for your support and cooperation.

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2016, 09:48:30 AM »
Brian,

Didn't see your instant message right away, just sent payment.
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2016, 10:53:00 AM »
Brian shipped my 36x ABC set to me on 21 July and it took 25 days to get to me 15 Aug...so I think about 3 to 4 weeks may be typical

What I did notice was their international shipping /customs form is a bit more of a PITA to fill out by hand and the cost to Texas was $23 AUD...about 1/4 of the price Brian charged me for the set

I can't imagine Brian is hardly breaking even on these sets, and I am super impressed with the quality

I stuffed my 36x set into a NIB needle bearing version and used the never run factory version in a well worn one I got off e-bay

On the bench I have two nice running old Fox engines

All my current  LA 25s are low run time so be a while before I ever use the BG LA 25 ABC set ---but looking forward to adding it to my engine specific repair parts stash

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Brian Gardner

• Captain
« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2016, 07:13:08 AM »
My humble apologies guys, these are ready to ship out but my dystonia has been totally screwing my productivity these last 2 weeks. I don't work on this stuff when I'm not lucid to prevent mistakes. Please be assured I will be shipping them all out asap.

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2016, 11:27:01 AM »
 I just received my order from Brain and these babies are nice. I cant wait to set up the engine, hoping to have it running by this weekend.
  Thanks Brian, hope you are feeling better soon.
Al

Online Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2016, 02:34:22 PM »
Hi Brian,

My two sets came yesterday. Just opened them today, beautiful.  y1
Now I just have to decide whether to put them in "new" engines or used ones!
Also got to get my plane done...............

Cheers, Jerry

Offline Brian Gardner

• Captain
« Reply #67 on: September 14, 2016, 06:33:10 PM »
Good to hear guys. Unfortunately I only got half of them posted before I ended up in hospital again. I'm home and my wife will take me to the post office today to get the rest sent.

Edit, All remaining sets that are paid for were posted by my wife today. I will send out tracking numbers shortly.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 04:31:59 AM by Brian Gardner »

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #68 on: October 02, 2016, 07:33:28 PM »
 Today we put two Gardner ABC LA .25 into Battle and they ran Great! The engines had very little break-in, started right up and ran hard for over five minutes with no problems. The compression is excellent even after the combat match was over. The only problem I ran into was when I went to install the new piston and liner. I could not get the rod on the crank pin so I filed a small 45 degree angle on the bottom end of the crank pin when it was at TDC so I could slip the rod on the crank pin when the piston is at TDC.
 Thanks Brian for taking on this project, the quality and fit of these parts are amazing!
     Al

Offline Brian Gardner

• Captain
« Reply #69 on: October 02, 2016, 07:57:19 PM »
That's great Al. I'm really pleased they are going well for you.

Today we put two Gardner ABC LA .25 into Battle and they ran Great! The engines had very little break-in, started right up and ran hard for over five minutes with no problems. The compression is excellent even after the combat match was over. The only problem I ran into was when I went to install the new piston and liner. I could not get the rod on the crank pin so I filed a small 45 degree angle on the bottom end of the crank pin when it was at TDC so I could slip the rod on the crank pin when the piston is at TDC.
 Thanks Brian for taking on this project, the quality and fit of these parts are amazing!
     Al

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #70 on: October 02, 2016, 08:46:06 PM »
Mine have been stuck in custom for about 3 weeks now.  How long did it take for all of you to get yours?
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Brian Gardner

• Captain
« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2016, 04:08:59 AM »
I just checked the tracking number Dave and it would appear to be in customs still. Wierd.

Mine have been stuck in custom for about 3 weeks now.  How long did it take for all of you to get yours?

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #72 on: October 03, 2016, 06:30:30 AM »
I was watching the tracking number on mine and it got to New York and then just sat there for a while.  But it arrived at my house last week.  So, I guess you have to have patience.  I suppose they are trying to figure out what it is and whether its worth stealing.

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #73 on: October 03, 2016, 08:17:03 AM »
Mine to central Texas arrive just at 2 weeks after Brian gave me tracking number
Other sets I got took 3 weeks

BTW very nice parts
I got a spare rod and wrist pin from Omni on e-bay and put it all away for the day when one of my LS 25s needs a refresh of I acquire a worn out used engine

Fred von Gortler IV

Online Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #74 on: October 03, 2016, 09:55:50 AM »

Mine came a lot faster than I expected! And it runs great!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jerry

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #75 on: October 03, 2016, 12:56:48 PM »
MM, YOU sir are NOT right!

Of course the .25 LA liner can be a fair guitar slide, but it will sound MUCH better with 10% nitro and a APC 9x4 prop sticking on the front of a BLUE case in front of a 25 OZ Pat Johnston Ring master

Jest sayin

Thanks Brain...great but of kit!

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #76 on: August 13, 2018, 06:59:16 PM »
 I put in the ABC unit and it seems I need 3 of the thinner Brian Gardener shims to make that number (but I only have one).

Thanks,
Motorman 8)
[/quote]
   What head shims do you need, I might have something that will work.
Al

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #77 on: August 19, 2018, 10:24:39 AM »
So, how much break in or flying time did you put in before you were happy with a consistent stunt run?
Motorman 8)
    Between Jim Vigani and I are using four LA25 with the Gardner kit in speed limit combat. The first one I put together I ran it 4 times on the ground wet 2 cycle on the bladder 2 oz at a time. The other engines I just ran them once on the ground and put it into battle on the same day. I use one head shim that Brain supplied on the stock head because I was twisting the plug elements with out it. I never had a problem with over heating and seizing up like the stock OS piston and liner did, plus I can hot restart it because the Gardner kit holds it compression. Last week Jim and I flew combat at Hershey Pa., it was hot and real humid out. The guys with the stock LA's were getting hot and going over lean it the air and had to set their needle real rich on the ground to get them to fly. I set my needle rich side on peek RPM and let it go. I am really happy with Brian's P&L kits, it turned a piece of S--t into a great engine. I had a friend who is a world competitor and engine expert look at the Gardner P&L kits and said they are team race quality. I would not lap in the engine, just run it with Powermaster GMA 10-22 fuel till its happy.
Al

Offline Brian Gardner

• Captain
« Reply #78 on: August 20, 2018, 12:57:39 AM »
The dimensions are as per stock and it is intended that you use the original OS shim. The supplied shim is provision for softening it a bit. Fits and tapers are matched to materials. It should be tight at tdc.

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2023, 07:49:51 PM »
 Hi Brian, there are a few guys asking me for your LA.25 piston and liners. They see how great my engines perform and would like to upgrade. Right now, I have 7 engines using them, 6 in speed limit combat and 1 in my Nobler. What numbers you need to do another run?
  Thanks Al

Offline Brian Gardner

• Captain
« Reply #80 on: October 17, 2023, 09:59:29 PM »
Minimum of 20 sets - more would be better. I don't remember - did I include rods last time? Need to check if the drawings are still on file - been a long time.

Brian

Hi Brian, there are a few guys asking me for your LA.25 piston and liners. They see how great my engines perform and would like to upgrade. Right now, I have 7 engines using them, 6 in speed limit combat and 1 in my Nobler. What numbers you need to do another run?
  Thanks Al

Offline Jay

• Commander
  • 1 Cross +3 Nails= 4 Given
« Reply #81 on: October 18, 2023, 08:12:54 AM »
RC Japan sells piston and liners for the LA 25 and 46.  I know it's not ABC but I just ordered a set for my 25.
Total came to less than $30 including shipping
Just a FYI

Jay
My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind.
Albert Einstein

Offline Brian Gardner

• Captain
« Reply #82 on: October 28, 2023, 11:12:05 PM »
Numbers are building for this, so I'll probably do them early next year.

I'm thinking about porting - I can do similar to what I did for the HP40. 2 slot style boost ports and a window in the piston to feed them. That way you can have the boost port functional in a LA. It won't be a big performance increase as the ports are only as "deep" as the liner thickness. Port timing would be as per original. So stunt suitability won't be altered either.

DO YOU GUYs WANT RODS?

Would that be legal for your speed limit combat?

Brian

« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 06:41:45 PM by Brian Gardner »

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #83 on: October 29, 2023, 11:41:44 AM »
Im in for 4 sets
AMA 13001

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #84 on: December 06, 2023, 08:24:25 AM »
Numbers are building for this, so I'll probably do them early next year.

I'm thinking about porting - I can do similar to what I did for the HP40. 2 slot style boost ports and a window in the piston to feed them. That way you can have the boost port functional in a LA. It won't be a big performance increase as the ports are only as "deep" as the liner thickness. Port timing would be as per original. So stunt suitability won't be altered either.

DO YOU GUYs WANT RODS?

Would that be legal for your speed limit combat?

Brian
  The boost port would be nice to try, but I would not take the chance of making a whole run of liners and then we might have engine run problems.
Put me down for 4 sets.
Al

Offline Brian Gardner

• Captain
« Reply #85 on: December 06, 2023, 06:52:23 PM »
That brings the tally to 16 so far.

Online Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • "Electric...The future of anytime stunt"
« Reply #86 on: December 06, 2023, 08:25:23 PM »
Asking for a friend. What's the count for the Fox 35 run as of now?

That brings the tally to 16 so far.
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here