News:

• April 16, 2024, 03:37:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brian Gardner LA .25 ABC Sets  (Read 25328 times)

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Brian Gardner LA .25 ABC Sets
« on: April 13, 2016, 11:18:01 PM »
 It's no secret that the LA .25 piston and liner is of poor quality. Every La .25 engine that has a few flights on it leaks compression when I check it by bringing it up to TDC. I use the La .25 for speed limit combat and it's a good engine but the piston seal keeps getting worst with more use. I contacted Brian about making up some high quality ABC sets for this engine like he did for the Fox .36x. I also heard that the LA.25 Piston and Liners will fit the FP .25 but we would need someone else to confirm this. I alone would order at least 6 sets.

Reply below if you're interested in ordering the ABC piston and liner sets and how many.
Al

Offline Steve Lotz

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Brian Gardner LA .25 ABC Sets
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 09:09:09 AM »
I could use 3 sets.

Steve Lotz

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 09:41:13 AM »
I'll take two sets.

Gerald Arana

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 10:03:59 AM »
2 for me.
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline John Saunders

• stiletto46
  • Ensign
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 01:35:13 PM »
I'll take 3 sets . The sooner the better. Thanks AL

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 06:08:09 PM »
Price?
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Brian Gardner

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 07:26:34 PM »
The Fox 36X/ST46/OS35/ST60 sets are usually around $115 Australian dollars shipped. The ST51 sets are $130 because of the more detail in the port machining. But this usually includes rod and pin. I'm guessing that you guys wouldn't want the rods or pins? So it would be less $ naturally.

Offline tom brightbill

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2016, 08:30:40 PM »
What port timing would be done? Intended for racing, stunt, ?
Thanks
AMA 34849

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2016, 09:56:03 PM »
I'm good for 2 sets
Jim Vigani

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2016, 10:02:21 PM »
(What port timing would be done? Intended for racing, stunt)
 I would keep the port timing stock. This engine is a good multi purpose engine, a lot of my friends use it in stunt on a Ringmaster instead of a Fox .35. I use it in Speed Limit combat on a bladder with a 8x4 prop. This engine is easy to needle and it holds it's setting for the 5 minute match and has plenty of power. With Brian's ABC set the engine will use less fuel and give better performance because of the chrome and roundness of his liners. I was told his work is team race quality by someone who knows engines on that level. Because Brian is starting with a clean sheet of paper I would have him make the liner flange .010 thicker than stock to make it more rigid. The new stock engine I have came with a .015 head shim and if you take it out the piston will hit the head. In the past Brian always supplied head shims so if he sends along a .005 head shim to use it will be back to stock spec. clearance. He can also make some liner shims for the guys that want to jack up the timing. I didn't ask Brian yet but it would be nice to have a turbo head button that would sit deeper in the liner and a head clamp too.
Al

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2016, 04:51:00 AM »
I'll take 3

Tom
AMA 13001

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2016, 07:54:34 AM »
I am in for 2 sets

and as suggested in one of the other threads on Brian's work, willing to send a deposit to help keep Brian from tying up his limited funds to start a project
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Brian Gardner

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2016, 07:30:52 PM »
Looks like we have numbers. Things are pretty busy at the moment, so production may take a while. Are you guys prepared to wait like usual?

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2016, 07:00:24 AM »
I am

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Steve Lotz

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2016, 07:10:53 AM »
Me too neither... to quote Stan Laurel.

Offline BYU

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2016, 07:50:32 AM »
How about sets for the LA 46 as well?

I would be up for 4

Offline Brian Gardner

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2016, 07:34:28 PM »
I have an old and well used FP25. Probably not good for getting the pin fit right though. If Al would like to send me an LA25 in good condition I can check for parts compatibility and get the ball rolling on this one.

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2016, 09:16:06 PM »
That's good news Brian, Ill mail out the LA.25 to you on Monday.
Al

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2016, 05:00:21 PM »

(If he were to make the bore size slightly smaller we could fit our old pistons when the new piston wears out)
 The problem with that is the head will not fit the new piston and liner that Brian will make. Most guys want to upgrade the engine without any machine work. In my engine it was the liner that wore out not the piston. I found this out when I compared it to a new set that I bought from Tower Hobby. I will send a brand new, never run, engine to Brian to check out and to compare it to his FP. So far the only thing that I think should be changed is the flange to be .010 thicker.
    Keep the suggestions coming though, it's not too late to make changes as long as it works in all applications.
Al

Offline john ohnimus

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2016, 11:00:57 AM »
Sign me up for 1
Hard Tellin'....  Not Knowin'

AMA 413710

Offline Chad Hill

• Commander
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2016, 02:14:59 PM »
It's no secret that the LA .25 piston and liner is of poor quality. Every La .25 engine that has a few flights on it leaks compression when I check it by bringing it up to TDC. I use the La .25 for speed limit combat and it's a good engine but the piston seal keeps getting worst with more use.

I bought six new LA 25s when I returned to combat in 2006 and have flown them hundreds of times on F2D planes. In ten years I've only had to replace one P&L because of compression issues, and that one still had some life in it. One other LA 25 suddenly developed a bad case of castor gumming during a match a couple years ago (against phil c, I believe) but a dip in the crock pot fixed that one.

These are the only problems I've had with the LA 25, knock on wood. For what it's worth, I've always used Sig Champion 10% nitro with extra oil to bring the total oil to 23%. The extra oil has included 1 ounce per gallon of Randy Smith's Aero-1, with the balance half Klotz and half Sig castor. I religiously clean each motor after use and liberally squirt in plenty of after run oil that is half ATF and half air tool oil. As I recall, set on bladder pressure these LA 25s tach about 15-16k using Schimitar 8-5s or Master Airscrew S-2 8-5s.

Just my $.02 and no criticism implied. Maybe the OS quality has fallen on these P&Ls since 2006.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2016, 06:07:21 PM »
Just my $.02 and no criticism implied. Maybe the OS quality has fallen on these P&Ls since 2006.

All of mine (20FP and 25LA) have been completely bulletproof, no issues. Same with 40/46VFs or any other OS ABN engine I have used or seen. I am running them in stunt, but the 20's in particular are running pretty close to as much power as they will develop. They break in rapidly and then just go and go.

That's not to say you shouldn't have an aftermarket ABC liner if you want one, Brian's work is impeccable. But it absolutely is not necessary for stunt and certainly not for durability - assuming the rest of the engine is *left alone*.

And for goodness sake, I would certainly recommend replicating the last version liner *exactly as it comes from OS in all respects*. That's because it's a *stellar* stunt engine stock, and will provide runs better than most people will ever have for the rest of their careers, based on what I have seen over the last 40 years or so.   It certainly cannot be significantly improved upon in terms of run quality for stunt by random tinkering or the ministrations of the "head gasket patrol".

Brett

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2016, 07:03:24 PM »
I was wondering when the rocks would start flying?
 About two years ago I bought six LA25s (made in China) so far I'm using four of them in speed limit combat. To start with they were the worst engine I ever ran to break in. They wouldn't hold a needle setting using a bladder for a fuel tank. I only used Power Master 10% Nitro, 22% oil GMA fuel. All the piston and liners felt like they had a tight fit but not really pinching at the top. It wasn't until they really loosened up that they would run steady and needle good on the bladder, but at the same time they wouldn't hold compression at TDC. I've been around engines and have used the LA15 in clown racing which is a great little motor. I also have a 40VF that holds compression too. I started to check every LA that I came across on my friends sport and stunt planes and have yet to find one to hold compression at TDC. Anyway, I just mailed out a new engine today to Brian to measure and compare to see if the LA liners will fit the FP too. From my experience with Brian's ABC piston & liners in the past, I know when we get his ABC set and put them in the LA it's going to be one amazing motor!

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2016, 11:25:49 AM »
I'll take two for a twin!

I have several LA25' (about 7 at last count) and have found them to be a bit inconsistent.  Some are very good and some Not So Much.

All work reasonably well but some are definitely stronger and better running than others.

All of mine were purchased in the early 2000's.  Nothing after about 2003.  All were converted R/C engines!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2016, 11:29:37 AM »
I was wondering when the rocks would start flying?
 About two years ago I bought six LA25s (made in China) so far I'm using four of them in speed limit combat. To start with they were the worst engine I ever ran to break in. They wouldn't hold a needle setting using a bladder for a fuel tank. I only used Power Master 10% Nitro, 22% oil GMA fuel. All the piston and liners felt like they had a tight fit but not really pinching at the top. It wasn't until they really loosened up that they would run steady and needle good on the bladder, but at the same time they wouldn't hold compression at TDC.

I am not throwing rocks, but I do see the same thing time after time, where a perfectly good engine suddenly needs all sorts of modifications, while everyone else goes on with it working fine.

Mine took about 15 flights to break in and run correctly, which is pretty much dead consistent with other people's experience. I would suggest, in the future, that you run it on the ground with *all the stock parts* and *the stock venturi* and a *conventional tank* before attempting to convert it to a bladder and whatever you use for a venturi/spraybar. Do a few 5-minute runs with cooling, then hook it up to a 16 ounce clunk tank, set it running, and more-or less walk away from it aside from running the needle in as it loosens up.  It is broken in when the front end runs cool - it will be boiling hot on the first 5 runs or so. At least then, you will be separating the problems associated with your conversion and operating conditions from fundamental issues with the engine.

From my experience with Brian's ABC piston & liners in the past, I know when we get his ABC set and put them in the LA it's going to be one amazing motor!

Agreed, no one is debating the quality of Brian's work and it will be great. And it sounds like there is a market for it, to by all means, go ahead. I just hope it is the *stock* version *exactly as it came from the factory*, because that's the one that is known to work well for stunt.

Brett
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 11:49:55 AM by Brett Buck »

Offline Brian Gardner

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2016, 12:31:28 AM »
yes I intend to give an approximation.

I expect someone will get back to us with a firm price before production starts?

MM

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2016, 10:06:03 PM »
 (I just hope it is the *stock* version *exactly as it came from the factory*)
      Like I said before, this is a good multi purpose engine and I want Brian to keep the ports in a stock configuration. The upper liner flange is kind of wimpy at .050. I would like Brian to make the liner flange .060. My new LA .25 came with a .015 head shim. I would want Brian to supply a .005 head shim to use with his liner so the sport and stunt guys will still have the same stock head clearance.

(It is broken in when the front end runs cool - it will be boiling hot on the first 5 runs or so)
     This was not my experience because my combat friends had previously schooled me on this. Before my engine was ever run I had a light hone put on the case and the crank polished, all my break in problems were piston and liner related.
 It will be nice to have the LA 25 so that when the Circle Marshal says go, I can bounce the prop backwards on compression to get a one flip start.

Al

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2016, 05:26:17 AM »
Sign me up for 1.

Thanks

Offline Steve Scott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • Terrorizing earthworms since '65
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2016, 04:46:12 PM »
Well sure...

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2016, 09:22:45 AM »
I'll take 2 sets(or three.  Prepaying would be no problem.

Just my $.02 and no criticism implied. Maybe the OS quality has fallen on these P&Ls since 2006......................

From what I've heard, at least the last LA 46's were made in China.  I got a couple LA 25/S engines, the last few Tower Hobbies had on sale.  They were made in China.  Haven't had any need to run them though.  The others are still runniing OK.

A really good new liner and piston/pin would be great!!
phil Cartier

Offline Brian Gardner

• Captain
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2016, 03:37:02 PM »
I'm anticipating the shipped price being around $105-$110 Australian.  Postage rates have increased $5 but that will include tracking to most countries.

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2016, 06:23:07 PM »
That's $81 to 85 dollars U.S.

Offline Brian Gardner

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2016, 08:23:59 PM »
Guys, I have the sample engine and am doing a comparison between the LA and FP 25. So progress is happpening.

Can everyone who expressed interest above confirm their request before I finalise quantities. I anticipate the price being around $105 to $110 Australian shipped. It will include piston & liner & head shims.

Brian

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2016, 08:29:31 PM »
I'm still in for 2 sets.
Jim Vigani

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2016, 08:49:09 PM »
I don't have any LA 25's but, based on the results of the ST 51 set, that is going to be a killer LA 25!!

It is an absolute shame they can't retrofit the LA 46's.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2016, 04:26:56 AM »
confirming 3
AMA 13001

Offline Steve Lotz

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2016, 04:34:54 AM »
Confirming 3 sets. No rods this time?

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2016, 04:53:39 AM »
confirming  still in for 2
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2016, 06:16:47 AM »
confirming 2 sets

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2016, 06:38:03 AM »
I'm in for 8

Offline John Saunders

• stiletto46
  • Ensign
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2016, 07:29:34 AM »
confirming 3 sets

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2016, 07:30:34 AM »
confirming 1 set

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2016, 08:06:30 AM »

i will take 2 sets
rad racer

Offline john ohnimus

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2016, 04:23:30 PM »
I'll take 1 set
Hard Tellin'....  Not Knowin'

AMA 413710

Offline Dave Edwards

• Lieutenant
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2016, 05:11:46 PM »
Two sets for me

Offline Brian Gardner

• Captain
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2016, 05:25:46 PM »
Thanks for the confirmations. Keep them coming to the guys that have not confirmed based on price.

OK guys, I've been doing some measuring.

The liners are the same between the LA and FP with some porting exceptions:

1. Exh timing is the same
2. The FP has a boost port whereas the LA does not.
3. The transfer timing on the LA is a bit higher than the FP.
4. The FP transfers are angled up whereas the LA transfers are straight.

I used to fill the boost port in the FP which gave a good stunt run. The absence of the boost port and slightly higher timed transfers in the LA explains why it works well as a sport stunt config. The LA piston & liner will retrofit into the FP.

The pistons are the same with the exception the FP piston is cast whereas the LA is fully machined.
The pins are the same
The rods are the same. (I don't see the point of making rods as the motors these would be going in shouldn't need rods yet)

So if you guys are happy to have the LA piston & liner replicated with the suggestion of the slightly thicker flange at the top I'm happy to do so.

Offline david beazley

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2016, 03:36:30 AM »
I'm good for 2
It's only paranoia if they aren't really after you.
Analog man trapped in a digital world
AMA # 2817

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2016, 12:24:42 PM »
(So if you guys are happy to have the LA piston & liner replicated with the suggestion of the slightly thicker flange at the top I'm happy to do so)
       Thanks Brian, I know this is going to be a great upgrade for the LA25 and it's good news that it will fit the FP25 also. Looking forward to getting them and please let me know if you need a deposit.  
Al

Offline Brian Gardner

• Captain
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2016, 03:52:03 PM »
One problem I see with this is that my liners may have different thermal expansion rates. So you guys would be guessing on the fit that you would lap the old piston to.

I think that should be investigated because the heads are made for interchangeable manufacture (loose) and the size difference could be less than .001" smaller.

MM

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2016, 05:53:27 PM »
One problem I see with this is that my liners may have different thermal expansion rates. So you guys would be guessing on the fit that you would lap the old piston to.

No worries Brian, they will work just fine, the OS ones are brass , and if some one had a steel one  they would still work, make them the exact same size, not smaller

Randy

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here