News:

• May 03, 2024, 06:43:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Nobler ARF  (Read 4554 times)

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Nobler ARF
« on: September 15, 2017, 07:44:55 AM »
Is the Nobler ARF that bad in terms of quality and mods needed to make it fly ok?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Nobler ARF
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 09:28:21 AM »
Actually, with a few minor modifications, the Nobler ARF is a very good performer.
Jim Lee has one that has won or placed in several large contests....
Mike Ostella has one that flew well when IC powered and flies great now, with battery power.

ARFs in general need some attention (primarily in the control system), but they perform very well.

Do a search here for modifications, or reach out to Mike O for a nice Power Point that he did on modifying the Nobler for IC use.

Have fun!

Offline Chris Belcher

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 09:41:52 AM »
I've had a couple of these. Minimum is brace the engine mounts with triangular stock, replace all the control system, not that difficult really, and use Minwax poly on all edges of the covering, applied with cotton swabs, just a thin layer to seal. Oh...and I had to replace the flaps as mine were warped pretty badly. The covering is available to match...seems like it was either INSIGNIA or SAPHIRE blue, can't remember which. Mine were great flyers for the money...if you get a good straight wing. You can also make a wooden cowl that will be better than the fiberglass one supplied. Mine really did fly well. One, my favorite, was attached to a stooge when a Texas Northern blew in and flipped it over and broke the fuse in half. A brodak 40 is good engine choice, LA 46 proved too much for mine, always fighting to slow it down.
A MUCH beter choice for an ARF nobler is the UHP (Moon brothers) kit. There are still some out there i bet. This is a whole step up  in quality and two steps up in design. It is the Gieseke version. I'm flying one now and it is a great little airplane.

Online James Lee

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 10:54:01 AM »
The Nobler ARF is just that...  An ARF...    But, the supplied control system is not good....    replace with a good control system.   The motor mounts are sketchy at best.  I added ply supports on both sides and a ply plate on the top.   changed the landing gear to one that is much wider stance and added the spats like the original...   Silver Foxx 35 with tongue muffler and 44 oz.   Not overpowered, but enough.   The best part is very little emotional involvement in the plane!  Go Fly and have some fun.
Jim

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 11:00:32 AM »
Thanks for the input yall.  I finally got me a big boy engine (.46LA) and was looking into maybe putting it into an ARF. Obviously too much engine for the Nobler and since the Vector 40 ARF is no more. Might habe to look into the Oriental or something similar. Was looking for something with flaps to get in air quik as im a terribly slow builder.

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 01:01:55 PM »
Thanks for the input yall.  I finally got me a big boy engine (.46LA) and was looking into maybe putting it into an ARF. Obviously too much engine for the Nobler and since the Vector 40 ARF is no more. Might habe to look into the Oriental or something similar. Was looking for something with flaps to get in air quik as im a terribly slow builder.

I have a LA46 in my ARF Nobler and I love it.

Did Brodak stop making the Vector 40?

If you really want a Vector 40 call up Randy Smith and get on the pre-order list for one.

Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 01:35:12 PM »
I have a LA46 in my ARF Nobler and I love it.

Did Brodak stop making the Vector 40?

If you really want a Vector 40 call up Randy Smith and get on the pre-order list for one.

They are still selling the kit but discontinued the ARF... atleast I think there was an ARF of it at one time lol

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 01:38:49 PM »
Word from Carmichaels is that the Vector and SV 11 were both "massaged" by Randy and are on the water.....ARFs, ARCs in both IC and Battery....
I understand that the changes are subtle but should be worth the wait and extra $$$$$....

I wager the'll be scooped up fast, so I suggest getting on Randy's list.

Have fun!

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 01:44:33 PM »
The best engine for the NoblArf is the OS 35S or the Brodak 40. I have had 3 NoblARF. The motor mounts are trashwood. I had one with the EVO 36 and it did pretty well. Any old school 35 that runs steady will do.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 03:38:46 PM »
I have a Nobler ARF with a ST 46 in the nose  >:D

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2017, 06:03:55 PM »
I was starting the Brodak 40 on my ARF Nobler when it kicked back.  Broke the motor mounts.  Like everyone has said: they're trash wood.

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2017, 09:43:53 AM »
Here is a peek at the ARF out of the box.
Shug

Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2017, 10:08:38 AM »
Here is a peek at the ARF out of the box.
Shug

Oh I watched it twice last night and the first pattern you flew with it

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2017, 11:30:08 AM »
James

I was gifted one from my wife a while back as I was laid up with kidney stone....dear woman knew I always wanted one. No way it can be built from a Pop pop chair with a drug addled brain

ON closer examination I decided the covering was usable as is with standard fixes
I got really concerned with all the fuss on this site to set the wing and tail end with incidence meters... I mean really screwed with my head thinking the factory got the cut outs all wrong ----so I set it away for a "some day" build and promptly paid Tom Morris $49 for a perfect set of controls. Then  went in search of betters ways to check and set incidence

What a grand bunch of over thinking for a $100 ready built airplane
Who, now a days does not already know MOST of the inherent weaknesses of the typical China ARF?

If I did it all again...
1. Pull factory bell crank, provide top and bottom mounting, re-wire properly and install
2. Convert / transition factory push rod to CF to flaps and elevator using well established techniques...consider better horns after you decide the factory ones are good or not  (mine are actually pretty good and well done)
3. Properly reinforce and fuel proof engine mounting
4. Use default engine (OS LA 40)  and location
5. Plumb and use supplied plastic clunk tank
6. Many ways to make the covering lift off or fuel proof...decide on your preferred method and spend the hour it takes

7. Get on Brodaks or Randy's list for the late this year SV -11 or Vector ARF/ARCs

Glue up the "not really THAT bad" Nobler and go play with trimming a flapped model.... hundreds of owners just followed the instructions and flew it until THEY exceeded their skills...

The only serious shortcoming I saw, is the single hung Bell crank and poor lead out crimping ....in fact the seams and covering were not that bad ---what I did sealing the edges was purely prophylactic
The instructions clearly say the engine bay and fuel tank area need fuel proofing....done right with FG cloth and epoxy the nose is not nearly as terrible as folks suggest....remember most of the on line issues are with the early 2000s ARFs when they first appeared.... On mine I could not see any HOT GLUE... I looked a lot trying to find it

Bottom line... no need to make this $100+  ARF a $250++ dollar model
If a guy Must have a Very good flying and Pretty Nobler...get any of the very good kits...

"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Online Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2017, 02:05:51 PM »
Ole' reliable is what my  tan , pinstriped 2010 Nobler ARF has been. Removed covering, usual enhancements and recover in Ultra-Cote . Started out with an LA 46 , after a year or so switched to a Power 15(yes, electric) and never looked back... hundreds and hundreds of flights.
If the weather or  flying field is so so  or if  I'm feeling  rusty or "plane" lazy, I take it out  and leave the good stuff at home. Not the purist, but capable, fun and cheap.

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2017, 08:56:19 PM »
I've been flying Nobler ARFs for two seasons with great success. Yes they have all of the "standard" tried and true modifications. They finish up around 44oz with ball bearing engines. I found the key to making them competitive in Intermediate is to keep adding tail weight to really get a nice corner. Both of my planes carry 1 to 1 1/4 oz of lead on the bottom of the rudder. I fly them on 61ft lines. I found the 11x5 xoar prop works well

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2017, 02:37:57 PM »
I had over 100 flight on one with Brodak 40 power, it was a great combo at around 38oz.  At minimum upgrade the control system.  I think I added some ply gussets between F1 and the motor mounts which helped those softer material they used.  Only reason its not still flying is I got careless with it (no respect for ARF's) and crashed it, pilot error.  Otherwise it would probably have been good for at least another 100 flights..
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 01:01:06 PM by Allan Perret »
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2017, 10:16:37 AM »
I must even build ARF's heavy cause mine is in the 50's. I don't know how you guys get them in the upper 30oz range.
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2017, 10:44:11 AM »
It has to be how they calibrate the scales. LL~ LL~  I too have never had an ARF/ARC in the 40 ounce range. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2017, 01:06:04 PM »
Mine is 46.7oz with OS FP 40

I think the Tom Morris controls may be a bit heavier,
I know my FG and epoxy nose added weight
I know the tape and seam sealing added a bit of weight
I am also pretty heavy with the epoxy/microballons sticking the wing and appendages on

I suspect in a mass produced china sweat shop, there is no real attempt to grade the wood for grain or weight  so it would not surprise me to see some very lite, and some a bit porky

MY Brodak ARF P-40b is pretty lite....not built yet--- I put all the parts on a scale.   Do not remember the Ozs but do remember being surprised
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2017, 05:07:30 PM »
Mine is 46.7oz with OS FP 40

I think the Tom Morris controls may be a bit heavier,
I know my FG and epoxy nose added weight
I know the tape and seam sealing added a bit of weight
I am also pretty heavy with the epoxy/microballons sticking the wing and appendages on

I suspect in a mass produced china sweat shop, there is no real attempt to grade the wood for grain or weight  so it would not surprise me to see some very lite, and some a bit porky

MY Brodak ARF P-40b is pretty lite....not built yet--- I put all the parts on a scale.   Do not remember the Ozs but do remember being surprised
I think mine is at 53oz now.  I know the LA46 with the muffler adds a bunch of weight plus inn the tail.  I have Tom Morris controls and I prob put a bunch of weight in the nose to beef up the engine mounts. Plus I'm sure I use way to much epoxy. But I think it still flies great.
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2017, 07:48:18 PM »
One of my flying buddies used to crash Tutor ARFs on a regular basis.  I rebuilt some of the wings for him.  The Chinese prison labor work was top-notch and the seams of hot-glue were very thin and well-placed.  They were obviously jig built and quite well constructed (although no one ever properly explained to them how to crimp lines...)

Offline Ed W. Prohaska

• New Pilot
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2017, 11:43:37 PM »
I'm surprised this has not been kicked to the ARF board.

Check out these old posts and view the ARF Nobler pictures in the photo gallery.
Last ARF Nobler     Nobler 1 Revisited

There are tons of other posts on this kit; lots of good info and experiences of others. I doubt the 57 Nobler or other BIY variations ever got as much press as the ARF. I added some photos that may not be included in older posts.

"Is the Nobler ARF that bad in terms of quality and mods needed to make it fly ok?"

I suppose you could get a bad one, but the quality is usually pretty good for the price. I did 4 of these. The two I have are still flyable. Unless they have been crashed, the two I sold should also be in flyable condition.

All 4 kits were bought between July 2002 and January 2003. I haven't examined a fresh production kit, but the ones I did were covered with real Monokote or something close to it. I had no problems with it pealing off at the field. I used high temps on the iron to apply the trim colors with no melting.

In contrast, the white base and trim colors on the Score would melt at high temps and peel off at the field. I "solved" that problem by sealing all the seams and trim edges with 1/4 inch wide strips of clear Monokote, but that's another story.

I probably made more changes (and added more weight) to my Noblers than anyone in there right mind should (or left mind in my case, since I vote Democrat). One purpose of an ARF is to limit building time and get you flying safely but quickly. With that in mind, these are items I'd take a hard look at:

1) Replace the hinges (as everyone suggests) with a good brand of nylon hinge (Sig, Du-Bro, Goldberg or similar). Unless they have changed with recent production kits, the supplied hinges are a brittle plastic. I've seen them fail on at least one local model. Inspect the control horns. Add silver solder if you don't think there's enough. If the design of the included control horns has not changed since 2003, this type does not require high temperature brazing or welding to work. If you replace the horns, make sure the new ones look at least as good as the stock horns. "Looks" are all you have to go by, unless you test them to destruction, in which case they are no longer usable. 

2) If you know how to do it, replace the leadout cable. I don't like crimps, so I wrap and epoxy the ends. If you don't know how to do it, give the stock system a strong pull test. If there is no slippage in any of the crimps, I'd run some warm 5 minute epoxy into them and leave them be. One local flier, after hearing everyone tell him to replace the leadouts, did a poor job of wrapping the ends and one failed. The model crashed safely, but he should have left "almost well enough" alone.

3) If you replace the leadouts, but use the stock aluminum bellcrank (or similar Fox, Veco or Perfect crank) bush the cable with brass tubing before installing it in the bellcrank. This will keep the cable from cutting through the crank or the crank severing the cable. If you install one of the newer Brodak Zytel Nylon cranks or a cut down Sig Magnum crank, bushing is probably not needed. It's OK to use a 3" bellcrank (stock or replacement). A four inch crank is probably overkill on a Nobler. It will butt up against the "innards" of the wing and require major surgery to achieve adequate clearance.

4) The relatively soft stock pushrods should be replaced with 3/32" music wire. Use "Z" bends or "L" bends with silver soldered washers (or small brass eyelets for more surface area) wherever there is room to do so without binding. There may not be room at the elevator horn. If you use a clevis, I like the Sullivan Golden clevis. Three of my Noblers have at least one; the forth has 2 and none has failed yet. That said, yours could be the first! In at least one Nobler, the long pushrod is a carbon fiber tube with titanium ends.

5) Forget about a line slider or tip weight box. On my Noblers, the stock leadout position and tip weight seem about right. If I could make any changes, I'd do so out of curiosity rather than necessity and probably end up back where I started.

6) Reinforce the motor mounts (where the engine goes) with plywood and lots of slow cure epoxy. Glassing this area is also a good idea. I sometimes grease up the bottom of a motor and bolt it into the wet epoxy and over the glass cloth. I get a perfectly molded bath tub, shaped like the lower engine case. Just make sure you heavily grease the engine and mount bolts so it does not become permanently installed! Don't worry about making it nose heavy; it will probably be just right or a little tail heavy. Make sure it balances slightly nose heavy before flying.

7) Try to shoehorn in a 1.75 inch wide 4.5 ounce Brodak (or similar) fuel tank. Of course keep it removable. Some of the engines I've used in the Noblers, under certain conditions, have done the pattern on less than 4 ounces; others have needed nearly the whole 4.5 ounces. If you plan to use an engine whose mileage you are very familiar with and know you can get by with less fuel, then you can go with a smaller tank. The same is true if you don't care whether or not it runs long enough to fly the pattern. I think they include a 5 oz. plastic tank now. If it works that's great. A larger tank lets you meter in just the amount needed, without overflow and waste.

8) Use whatever engine you own, have experience with, and feel it's power and performance are a good fit for the Nobler. This is what I like to do: Set up the front end for the FP 35 and 40 (they are a direct swap; one for the other). Also make sure you can mount a LA 46. There are minor differences in the lower case and head shape, but all else is the same. If you own all three of these engines (and who doesn't) you can fly with the 35, 40 and 46 and decide which one works best for you and your Nobler. I've done that and found the FP 35 will fly a lighter weight one (45 oz. or less) pretty well. If I could choose only one engine the FP .40 would probably be it. They are powerful, dependable, user friendly, ubiquitous and a good value. My Noblers are all take-apart to varying degrees and heavier (46 to 51 ounces) than most one piece Noblers are likely to be, so I fly the two I still own with 46s (LA in one and rear exhaust Stalker in the other). In my experience the LA .46 is not too much engine for the Nobler. Power output and run quality varies noticeably with fuel blend, prop pitch and diameter, venturi size, muffler type, whether or not you run on pressure, the needle setting and climate conditions where you fly. I read a while back where someone built a Nobler (ARF, kit or scratch) and put a rear exhaust Stalker .60 in the nose!

9) Dry fit everything before gluing and "dry practice" the assembly process as if the parts had glue on them. Use a slow cure epoxy to allow plenty of time for alignment and clean up. Have lots of lacquer thinner and paper towel ready. ARFs are advertised as 90% pre-built, but that last 10% can be a b_ _ _ h!

10) Enjoy your ARF Nobler. Even if it's a total failure (unlikely) it's a learning experience. Just make sure all safety precautions are taken during the building process and flying adventure.     

Online Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2017, 01:39:11 AM »
If anyone out there wants to part with the STOCK Nobler ARF hinges, please PM me as I can use them in a few R/C applications.
I'll pay for the first class postage to NJ
Thanks,
Frank

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2017, 07:12:52 AM »
If anyone out there wants to part with the STOCK Nobler ARF hinges, please PM me as I can use them in a few R/C applications.
I'll pay for the first class postage to NJ
Thanks,
Frank

Do ya still need some? i have 2 sets you can have.
Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Online Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2017, 12:46:11 PM »
Hi James :
Yes, I do - as long as they are the style with the removable pin.
I use them on  rudders of small R/C aircraft .
I will PM you my address.
Thanks ,
Frank

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2017, 12:51:55 PM »
Upon inspection I will keep 1 set of them but you can have the other set.

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Nobler ARF
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2017, 02:47:29 PM »
SV11s are in. Heckuva buy. Question is how well do you build? What have you built? ARFs caused a revolution in our hobby preoccupation. Their shortcomings acknowledged. Before the ARF revolution most common competition plane in Beginner and Intermediate was a twisted Twister and the like. ARFs even when flown stock were more sophisticated and most often better built. Looked that way to me. ARFs and ARCs with this and that mod have competed successfully in many local contests. Finishing well even in Advanced. My hunch is a few similar ARCs even competed at the NATs in Advanced. ARFs and ARCs are a good way into competition stunt. Building skills can improve as flying and trimming skills evolve.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2017, 07:58:44 PM »
I've had two ARF Noblers which performed quite well for me! The first was powered by a Saito .40 4 C engine and it was a dream to fly! The second was powered by a Brodak .40 and it too flew quite well! I did add sufficient lead to the rear to get the turns I wanted, reworked the controls via bushings in the bell crank and new clevises on the push rods, on the one I put together,the B-40 version! In time I pranged both! The Saito powered version is going to be rebuilt with parts salvaged from both. The B-.40 version did shed its motor mounts and was revised by an RC adjustable motor mount with suitable reinforcements in the front end to support a radial type mount. This body will be mated with the Saito powered wing to produce yet another Phoenix for flying fun! I wouldn't shy away from them one minute!

Phil Spillman

Phil Spillman
Phil Spillman

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here