News:

• June 07, 2024, 05:12:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: BOEING AIRCRAFT COMPANY " 1943 "3 VIEWS" Mfg.Boeing aircraft 200 to 345  (Read 1390 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
My "un-named Boeing Colleague" at the DC..during one lunch break...did a little "DUMPSTER DIVING" behind the old Archives just before they moved the location to Bellevue Wa.
and found this old folder of zeroxed copies that were drawn  up in mid 1943 time frame.
Although they were "HIGHLY RESTRICTED" (as marked in a quill ink pen) they were prepared by a W.M. BAILEY and approved by a RALPH JEWETT on a report marked REPORT NO. D-5099

attached are a couple of "test" scans of the F4B-3 and 4.
On the day of my retirement...my co-worker gave me this folder filled with an assortment  of various other drawings from that same 1943 time period..that he "gleaned" from that company dumpster diving visit.
Don Shultz

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
That is some cool history! Don't let it get lost.

Brian
While flying the pattern, my incompetence always exceeds my expectations.

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
Also found in that same folder was not only a 3 view of the first TWA  307 drawing before it was built but also an old damaged and discarded 8X10  negative of the first TWA 307 built.

also in that packet was a really faded out photograph of an R&D flying wing design that looks like the body belonged to an early version of the B-17?

HEY BOB HUNT, PAUL WALKER AND THE REST OF U MULTI ELECT. ENGINE CLPA MODELERS...
What a great looking CLPA this flying wing would make? H^^
Don Shultz

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
Pretty cool stuff there Don. I did a couple of hundred miles round trip piloting my Harley Softail Custom today, to meet up with the Romeo Riders, (retired old motorcyclists eating out). We met up at the Lloyd Stearman Field at Benton Kansas for lunch. A pretty neat place with lots of models in the resturant, that sets just off the end of the runway. Quite a few Stearmans based there. Lots of airplane stuff hanging on the walls in the resturant also. It was a fun day.
Jim Kraft

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
Right on James...really nice shots of some really nice models  H^^
Don Shultz

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Email me some of those (if you have 'em scanned), and I'll send them to the airplane nuts among the Boeing configuration posse. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
Email me some of those (if you have 'em scanned), and I'll send them to the airplane nuts among the Boeing configuration posse.  
Howard...
I showed this  folder packet of old Xerox copies to Mike Lombardi at the archives. At that time he said that they had the quality  photographic originals and mentioned that they had dumped not only these copies...that were no longer necessary and if John hadn't retrieved these from the dumpster before the daily pickup...these would have ended up at the shredder along with an excess of once viable items that were no longer needed.

Now that the archives has moved over to Renton...it becomes harder to access for Boeing airplane nutz' like us.
I was one of the fortune few that for years...shared my little hideee' holes in the wall make shift art studios which was located right across the hall from the archives in the old 2-63 or was it the 2-83???building which is long long gone...(along with most of my memory cells) forever dug up and filled in as a parking lot.
BOEING..SINCE  (and even before GOING GLOBLE-GOBBLE... forever seems to have so little value or  interest in its HISTORY.  
ON THEIR PART, PERHAPS...STILL IS ONE OF THE MOST GRAVEN' MISTAKES THAT IS MAKE NOT ONLY BY BOEING..BUT ALSO OTHER MAJOR COMPANY'S THROUGHOUT THE WORLD.

WHY NOT GIVE MIKE A CALL, MAKE N' APPOINTMENT FOR LUNCH....TAKE SOME TIME GO VISIT THE ARCHIVES before EVEN THAT WILL BE "GONE WITH THE WIND!"You are welcome to this packet anytime... However they are really very very washed out and faded copies.
 Why not just "right click on these old drawings that I posted...here on the forum and then just pay them forward?
My scanner is pretty lack luster and it took some effort to bring them up clear enough to post here.
Perhaps I should run these down to KINKITY-CO'S and see if I can reprint these for better viewing?

Attached is the Boeing concept airliner..that I spent so much time involved in presketches with the Phantom Works and later in glamour painting the windtunnel force model. I so wish that this one could have been our DREAM LINER...instead of today's SCREAM LINER!!!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 05:20:16 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Wow! Schultzie!  Awesome stuff.  What a blessing to be able to get your hands on such memorabilia.

I was fascinated by the flying wing concept; especially noting the "stabilator" surfaces mounted aft of the wingtips.  As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure Riley Wooten had stolen that drawing back in the sixties just before designing the "VooDoo" with a stabilator on booms rather than with a reverse cambering, lift destroying  "elevator" hinged to the trailing edge of the wing like "Wows", "Omegas", "Half Fasts", "Reactors" and other early combat flying wings. 

Just goes to show ya, those engimineering types musta known sumt'n!

I wonder if there was an equally illuminating aero engineering reason the designers at Northrup chose to use reflexed airfoils at the tips to provide the requisite pitch stability on their flying wings prototypes like the YB-49, thus sacrificing (I think) some payload capability on an aircraft for which payload was the primary objective.

Rush probably knows this stuff.

Ted

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
My guess is that the Northrop guys didn't think of the stabilator, but I'll ask the folks in the config. group.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here