News:

• May 17, 2024, 02:26:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bob Whitely's .60 Shoestring Stunter ?  (Read 3513 times)

Offline Rob Killick

• 2013 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Bob Whitely's .60 Shoestring Stunter ?
« on: February 02, 2008, 01:15:50 PM »
Hi ,

I'm thinking about purchasing the RSM Shoestring Stunter (Bob Whitely) and I have a couple of questions ...

Are the "arrow shaft" push rods adequate from the kit , or should I substitute for a different size/type ?

Secondly , will an ST .60V haul this ship around without a problem , or is a RO-JETT .60 , with tuned pipe a necessity ?

Thanks   H^^
Rob Killick , MAAC 33300

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
Re: Bob Whitely's .60 Shoestring Stunter ?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 01:22:33 PM »
An ST 60 will do very nicely. Bob builds as heavy as I do, but I have a really heavy ST 60 ship. They are very powerful engines.
Rob, I don't know what kind of shaft RSM has in their Shoestring kits, but from the RSM Derringer example I have they should be fine. If worried about flex, make a fair-lead about midway in the fuselage to support it.
Chris...

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 02:36:06 PM »
Rob: I would say if Eric put it in the kit you can be sure it's good enough.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Rob Killick

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 06:01:01 PM »
Thank you Gentlemen ...

Always appreciate the input  y1
Rob Killick , MAAC 33300

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 06:27:48 PM »
A local guy here names Dave Pellerin, built one. Put a Saito 72 in and it flew pretty well
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Gary Anderson

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 12:04:54 AM »
Hi ,

I'm thinking about purchasing the RSM Shoestring Stunter (Bob Whitely) and I have a couple of questions ...

Are the "arrow shaft" push rods adequate from the kit , or should I substitute for a different size/type ?

Secondly , will an ST .60V haul this ship around without a problem , or is a RO-JETT .60 , with tuned pipe a necessity ?

Thanks   H^^
Hi Rob,

Just curious, did you build the shoestring stunter and how did she work out? My brother loves the look of the ship (I also love the way she looks) I've never seen one in the air, just the Carl Goldberg profile, which is a nice sport ship. Is the 60 size shoestring capable of doing a good pattern? If you have completed her and flew her, would you build her again? I believe one of Randy's last ship was a shoestring, of his own style. I wonder if Randy had any luck with her. Seems like he wasn't to happy with the end results. I'm probably wrong. I hate to go to the trouble of cutting out a kit and find out it was a waste of material and time. Would appreciate any input, thank you Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 09:51:33 PM »
Randy's Shoestring is a .35/.46 size design by Bill Simons (I'm never sure about the spelling of the last name!), which is not from a kit. I asked what was the problem with it, last weekend, and he said the stab warped. That's something you have to remove, even if it means installing a new stabalizer, which is the plan...sometime. It does have two things in common with the RSM Shoe. It's Classic legal, and it's a semi-scale Shoestring. The RSM kit is more realistic, I'd say...larger fuselage cross section.
  http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=8538.0

Dave Pellerin's RSM Shoestring was not a great combination with the Saito .72. Too heavy an engine, too much ballast required. I don't believe a pipe would fit this design, and that it was originally designed for a ST .60bb. Something similar will work well...like a ST G.51, Stalker, etc., somewhere under 60 oz.  Toward that end, I would substitute carbon rods if the RSM kit has fiberglass ones, and do whatever I could to keep the weight down.  Hold it close to the sandpaper! It's a good looking model, and will fly well, especially if it's not chartreuse and red (personal bias!).   n1  Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 10:48:19 PM »
Steve,

Billy Simons Shoestring design is Classic legal.
Bob's model as kitted by RSM is a modern design that is a bit bigger than Simo's design. Designed for a 60, I flew one of his that had a piped PA.

The apple green that most people think the airplane was painted isn't even close. The color originally was Cadillac code 21 Chartreuse which was a color the artisits call "yellow chartruese". It's a nice color.

Spud Runner yellow and red is an abomination from which parents should avert their children's eyes. >:D

Chris...

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 11:32:30 PM »
Thanks for the corrections, Chris. In fact, I think I once made the same mistake (calling RJ's Shoe a Classic) in a previous post. Maybe it'll take this time? Well, the Hawker Hunter is Classic...

I'm still not a fan of Chartreuse (ok for bass lures, but only just ok if it works), and something about yellow/red that just repulses me. Too many good color combinations to use that one on a model airplane!  ~^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2008, 12:07:01 AM »
It's the Scale thing in me!

I was going to buy two different Shoestring K-10 racers at different times in the past. For each of them my plan was to paint it like Simo's red and black stunter!

Chris...

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2008, 07:28:28 PM »
What I would like is a scaled up version of the Goldberg profile Shoestring. Maybe around 50" to 55" span, still profile. Maybe powered by ST 46.

Offline Steve Holt

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 12:38:47 PM »
What I would like is a scaled up version of the Goldberg profile Shoestring. Maybe around 50" to 55" span, still profile. Maybe powered by ST 46.

You might try a "kit bash" of Brodak's P-40B.  New fuselage outline and a new vertical fin plus moving the landing gear to the fuselage.
Steve

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 01:20:49 PM »
Steve, that is a better idea than you may even know. The Brodak P-40 wing is a great starting point. Its the basis for my Gee bee profile, a Shoestring big boy,, hm what a great idea. Perhaps I will play with that in CAD this weekend.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Steve Holt

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 06:35:51 PM »
Mark,
Let us know how your CAD for the P-40B/Shoestring looks.  My thought is that this would be another way to get the wing on the P-40 raised in the fuselage and not have it look funny.  I think I'll order a P-40B ARC and try it myself.
Steve

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2008, 07:36:49 PM »
Ty,
uh , well, uh,, its in the que, seems my 109, my Avenger plans and the new E plane have caused me to shuffle it a bit back on the order, still definetly in the running though..
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2008, 08:18:35 PM »
I may be wrong, but I one of Mark's comments a few weeks back indicated that he bought a P-40 ARC wing only for one of his last boondoggles. Might be cheaper than buying the whole baby and throwing the rest out with the bathwater. Or not!? I think the Shoe-40 would look a bunch better than a Pee-40, tho.  LL~ Steve

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2008, 10:21:24 PM »
Steve,
right idea, but i had to buy the whole thing bathwater and all. I did find a home for the fuse and tail though, another dude stuffed his so he has one to replace it with. It is a great wing and yeah it will make a really cool profile shoestring. I may have to do up the fuse plans just because, as for me building it, yeah well, dont hold your breath, I already have the Avenger cut and ready to build. My 109 to paing, my profile 109 to build flaps and paint, and then of course I am schemeing on a new supercool home for my electric drivetrain, all to be done by next flying season,, I hope I get some sleep somewhere in there lol
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2008, 03:18:58 PM »
Hadn't realized this thread morphed into a 40 size shoestring using the P-40 wing.. I did exactly that.. Built it last winter but still haven't put the final finish on. Going to power it with a Saito 40 and expect it to be awesome..

Geoff sent me a cad drawing of the Goldburg fuselage and I scaled it to match the P-40 numbers.. Be happy to share the drawing but we have a contest this weekend and probably won't be able to get back to anything till next week.. Will also try to get a photo....

Found a photo....
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 04:14:45 PM by Bob Reeves »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here