News:

• May 28, 2024, 05:48:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bob Gialdini's Sting Ray 1963 Nats winner  (Read 8831 times)

Offline Jerry Leuty

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Bob Gialdini's Sting Ray 1963 Nats winner
« on: December 14, 2010, 06:14:19 PM »
      I just secured a set of plans for the Sting Ray from Tom Dixion of Marietta, Ga.  Bob Gialdini won the 1963 Nats with this plane. The Sting Ray  started the jet craze of the 60s.  Bob also designed the Rayette. I built a Rayette a couple of years ago. Those plans came from Allen Brickhaus.  When comparing the plans they are nearly identical with the exception for the needed changes from a profile (Rayette) to a full fuselage (Sting Ray). I am scratch building another Rayette right now. I suppose the Sting Ray will be my Texas winter project. I have a brand new in the box FP .35 for it. Now I am wondering what the original paint scheme was for the Sting Ray. Perhaps someone close to Bob can find out and get it posted. I am thinking silver aluminum with early red white and blue Thunderbird markings would be neat. Anybody out there ever have any experience with this plane?

Jerry

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Bob Gialdini's Sting Ray 1963 Nats winner
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 08:09:54 PM »
Jerry,
Don Schultz has had more than one "Sting Ray" I did a partial search on this forum. Here are 2 pictures of Bob Gialdini's airplane that Schultzie posted.
I took 2nd to Bob and his "Sting Ray" at a contest in Alton, Illinois many moons ago. Bob is a super guy.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 09:25:27 PM by Tom Niebuhr »
AMA 7544

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 08:57:04 PM »
Jerry,
Don Schultz has had more than one "Sting Ray" I did a partial search on this forum. Here are 2 pictures of Bob Gialdini's airplane that Schultzie posted.
I took 2nd to Bob and his Sting Ray at a contest in Alton, Illinois many moons ago. Bob is a super guy.

Those beautiful photos that you posted were taken by Les McDonald at his crib.
HA!
Tom don't get me started talking about my all time favorite mentor and his beautiful StingRays...that started an addiction waaaay back in 1965 which lasted until my final and forth Ray at the 1969 Philly nats.

Built it LIGHT! Take extra care with the landing gear platform and use the thinnest and lightest wheels you can find. Nothing wastes the capibility of the Sting Ray faster that a heavy fat wheeled drag inducing landing gear AND make certain that both main gears music wire had equally aligned tracking plus  carefully matched tension and stiffness.
The Sting Rays  landing gears were designed to be  landed and sat down on the tarmac at a pretty good pace.  (MAKE A SPECIAL NOTE TO YOUR SELF TO READ AND UNDERSTAND BOB'S THOUGHTS ABOUT THIS UNIQUE LANDING GEAR SET UP WITH THE VERY SMALL FOOT PRINT.
NEVER STRETCH OUT THAT GLIDE...ESPECIALLY IN WINDY CONDITIONS....
enough drivel huh?
Build the Ray carefully...and you'll love the way it flies. Properly aligned and set up...the Sting Ray feels reeeeeeeally light on the end of the lines....but still hangs out there even on overhead or the back corners of the triangle.
THE FASTEST WAY TO KILL A GREAT FLYING STING RAY IS ADDING TOO MUCH ENGINE OR RUDDER OFFSET or TACKING ON A SET OF MODIFIED HEAVY STIFF LANDING GEARS.

TOO MUCH DRIVEL AND RANT...but I will always have a special love for that amazing STING RAY CLPA STUNT MACHINE. R%%%% BW@

« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 02:04:34 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 09:23:06 PM »
Don,
I love the picture of the nose of Bob's "Sting Ray". What a craftsman!

Thankyou for identifying Les as the photographer.

I have often wondered if the tail surfaces were big enough. We have gotten used to enormous emphenages. How does the "Sting Ray" turn compared to today's stunters?

Having met Bob so many moons ago, it is an airplane that always interested me, but the smallish tail surfaces have always stopped me. Bob's "Eclipse" appears to have a larger tail volume.
AMA 7544

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 10:33:33 PM »
ou could always go the next step in the lineage of the  beautifull Stinray,, build an Avenger! Mine is the best flying plane I have had to date!
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 11:07:59 PM »
Don,
I love the picture of the nose of Bob's "Sting Ray". What a craftsman!

Thankyou for identifying Les as the photographer.

I have often wondered if the tail surfaces were big enough. We have gotten used to enormous emphenages. How does the "Sting Ray" turn compared to today's stunters?

Having met Bob so many moons ago, it is an airplane that always interested me, but the smallish tail surfaces have always stopped me. Bob's "Eclipse" appears to have a larger tail volume.

The Sting Ray is a very, very pretty airplane!  I have never seen one fly, but I hope to eventually.

I recently saw a set of plans that I think are being developed for the Eclipse.  They ARE of the Eclipse, that was certain.  it's pretty big! ;D
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Allen Brickhaus

• ACE
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 05:35:33 AM »
Jerry,

Check your email box for about 30 pictures of the Sting Ray and the Eclipse.  Michael Schmitt is building a Sting Ray also.  He and I are ready to submit the Eclipse article to Model Aviation.

Merry Christmas

Offline Jerry Leuty

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 07:37:32 AM »
      Thanks Allen for the info. I will check my e-mail in box. I am looking forward to the upcoming articles on the Eclipse in Model Aviation magazine. It was the Eclipse that tweaked my interest in building some jet style models. After building and destroying the Rayette last year at VSC I had decided to build another one and get it a little lighter. The Tucson air is a little thinner than it is here in the north Texas area where we are 650 above sea level. At the bottom of the Hour Glass it went in at a 30 degree angle and that was that. It was repairable I suppose but I do not repair many ships unless the damage is minor in nature. I have built several Orientals this past year and they fly reasonably well. One of my favorite hobby shops in the DFW area, Roy's Hobby Shop in Hurst, Texas, has a Brodak Legacy kit that I am interested in. Perhaps I will get that kit for Christmas.  I have a brand new in the box LA .46 that would work well in that ship. Also one of the Aviastar engines would do well in the Legacy.

Ok, time to get off here and either go mulch some leaves or go flying for a while before the winds kick in today.........Jerry

Offline Allen Brickhaus

• ACE
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 07:04:01 PM »
I lost my Legacy in the same manner.  I think perhaps that my leadouts caught and the model proceeded into the ground at a 30 degree angle.  Your leadouts may have done the same.

Allen

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 01:09:31 PM »
My my favorite models and the Sting Ray wasn't too bad either (PE**)... H^^
Lousy exposure with my old unmetered SR-2 Minolta...
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 02:09:43 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 04:50:04 PM »
My my favorite models and the Sting Ray wasn't too bad either (PE**)... H^^
Lousy exposure with my old unmetered SR-2 Minolta...

Brother Shultzie, these pictures are priceless. Thank you so much for contributing to this forum, and to our lives as stunt flyers. Again-Thank you.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 06:53:28 PM by proparc »
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 05:51:10 PM »
Schultzie,

I love the pictures, but Dawn is not in all three pictures.

And again. how well did you Sting Rays turn?
AMA 7544

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 09:58:40 PM »
Schultzie,

I love the pictures, but Dawn is not in all three pictures.

And again. how well did you Sting Rays turn?

You are right about only the first photo with Dawn holding my Ray. In those early days...I was always asking young ladies if I they would HOLD MY---- stunt models for pictures.

My first Sting Ray was a REAL LEARNING EXPERIENCE...With the Merco 35 and a 4 ounce tank...AT FIRST I  lived with a NOSE HEAVY model with too much tip weight and engine offset.
but after a couple of months and razzing phone calls to Bob!

MORE THAN A COUPLE OF TIMES I ALMOST LOST THAT MODEL ON THE BACK BOTTOM CORNERS OF BOTH THE HOUR GLASS AND TRIANGE.

I finally MANNED UP and took out that excessive nose weight...reduced the wing tip weight..however l did leave in the slight amount of engine offset.

NEXT IS THE STRANGE PART!! WHAT A HUGE DIFFERENCE A PHONE CALL TO GIALDINI CAN MAKE.
After I  FINALLY RETRAINED MY MUSCLE MEMORY AND RE PROGRAMMED MY BRAIN... and got used to a model that flew with less line pull without all that excessive wing tip weight and engine offset...NOT ONLY THE INSIDE CORNERS SHARPENED UP...without all that line pull and wing wobbling...The Sting Rays were the easiest and smoothest flying models that I ever experienced before. I was hooked.
THE STAB AND ELEVATOR although on the small size...STILL SEEMED TO HAVE PLENTY OF TURNING CAPABILITY! Sadly...it took almost 4 years of  building and flying the Sting Rays, plus took me THAT LONG too finally finding and LEARNING  the perfect combination in trimming.

Like so many stunt designs...it takes lots of living and airtime with a model in order to find what the flyer is looking for in a model.

Yes!
In my Avenger series...I utilized a sub dorsal fin to increase side are  behind the CG fuselage  at the same time aided stiffness to a larger stab and elevator combination. which perhaps aided in a tad more line tension?

Not only did I come up with more wing area but also more turning power...but now with a tad more power using a new OS 40 Wilder tweaked engine...my building techniques also kept the weight under 47 ounce flying weight with a 4 ounce tank. (barely enough time for a pattern on my traditional 68 ft  ALL AND FOREVER MOST IMPORTANT.O15 lines

Without the grace of being a member of THE ROBERT GIALDINI'S SCHOOL OF FLIGHT...These beautiful Sting Rays of mine as well as my Avenger would never have been possible.

eEVEN IF ONE NEVER BUILDS A GIALDINI STING RAY I STILL STRONGLY ENCOURAGE EVERYONE TO DIG THROUGH THOSE OLD MAGAZINE ARTICLES THAT BOB GIALDINI SHARED WITH US....HE HAD SO MANY GOLDEN WORDS OF ADVICE THAT I THINK ARE A GOLDEN TODAY..AS THEY WERE WAAAAY BACK in his Olympic Mark daze days.

Don Shultz

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2010, 10:23:44 PM »
I finally MANNED UP and took out that excessive nose weight...reduced the wing tip weight..however l did leave in the slight amount of engine offset.

NEXT IS THE STRANGE PART!! WHAT A HUGE DIFFERENCE A PHONE CALL TO GIALDINI CAN MAKE.
After I  FINALLY RETRAINED MY MUSCLE MEMORY AND RE PROGRAMMED MY BRAIN... and got used to a model that flew with less line pull without all that excessive wing tip weight and engine offset...NOT ONLY THE INSIDE CORNERS SHARPENED UP...without all that line pull and wing wobbling...The Sting Rays were the easiest and smoothest flying models that I ever experienced before. I was hooked.

There are a whole lot of people who *still* haven't learned that!

Brett

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2010, 11:24:15 PM »
Here's the beautiful Eclipse that Mike Schmitt had at this year's Nats.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2010, 07:13:19 PM »
Donald,
Thanks for your insight.
AMA 7544

Offline Michael Schmitt

• AMA Member
  • Ensign
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2010, 11:03:19 AM »
Sting Ray wing so far

Online afml

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2010, 12:31:12 PM »
Got any BB sauce to go with those ribs??? LL~ LL~

Another GREAT job Mike!  #^

"Tight lines" & MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Wes

Wes Eakin

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2010, 01:01:13 PM »
Glad you're building, Mike, where ya gonna put the lights on it?
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Michael Schmitt

• AMA Member
  • Ensign
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2010, 04:53:17 PM »
Well Will I will do anything to make it lighter  y1

Offline Jerry Leuty

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2010, 09:23:48 PM »
   I really like the shape of the stab/elev. assembly for this plane. I have cut out two sets. Now I have just finished cutting out the rudder dorsal fin when I noticed that the stab preceeds the L-E of rudder by a half inch. I measured and studied the very incomplete drawings and then came to this site and looked at the installed pictures. Sure enough there it is. The stab sticks out there like a MD -80 flying tail. This is going to be different. The rear pushrod bearly clears the top of the rear fuselage top to touch the control horn. Amazing what subtle details one can miss not having ever seen one of these planes in person.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here