News:

• March 28, 2024, 11:53:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Blackhawk Models Challenger  (Read 3985 times)

Offline leftwing102000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Blackhawk Models Challenger
« on: January 26, 2014, 12:17:40 PM »
I've got two of the subject models that are engineless. Any advice on engines for these? I'm a pukie profile kinda guy and completely clueless when it comes to full fuse ships.

Dave

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
Re: Blackhawk Models Challenger
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 01:10:31 PM »
Can't find The Challenger on Black Hawk! Is this the Dick Sarpolus Challenger? I believe his original Challenger was powered by a .35.

W.
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 05:14:25 PM »
It's Walt M's
Leester
ama 830538

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 07:51:58 PM »

If you want ease in operation with consistent and reliable runs, an LA .25 would be perfect for that design.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 08:37:06 PM »
A 30 in model with very limited tank area. I built one for a friend a few years ago. Took some replacement of some really heavy wood to finish it and used a Fox 15BB. The model has very narrow frontal area. It flew fine and it's not a stunt ace but was fine for the intended purpose.

Dennis

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 08:17:20 AM »
Isn't that the idea behind most of Walt's designs,  to have fun and fly for fun. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 10:29:37 AM »
Isn't that the idea behind most of Walt's designs,  to have fun and fly for fun. 

Hi John,
I believe that I said that too.

Dennis

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 02:59:28 PM »
I think an LA 15 or similar modern 15 would be nice.  It's not a big airplane.
Paul Smith

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 06:35:59 PM »
I received a Scientific Challenger for Christmas when I was in Junior High.  Not knowing any better, I stuck a Fox 35X in it.  Woh!!

Scott

Offline leftwing102000

• New Pilot
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 06:05:43 PM »
Thanks all. I found a Fox .15BB stashed somewhere and I think I'll start from there. Ain't alot of room in the front end.

Dave

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 01:45:07 PM »
Thanks all. I found a Fox .15BB stashed somewhere and I think I'll start from there. Ain't alot of room in the front end.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Although I do not have, nor have used, a Fox .15BB, from what I have heard, it will be plenty of engine unless it just gets insanely overweight!

BIG Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline leftwing102000

• New Pilot
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 03:28:45 AM »
Bill,

I've used the .15bb on a couple of applications and if you get a good one they are powerhouses. I've had break in problems and starting problems with them but once they're running all I can say is WOW! It's a pretty hefty little engine for it's size and weighs probably half again as much for comparably sized engines but the weight is more than offset by the power it can produce. I just hope it's enough as Dennis stated he had to replace alot of wood in the Challenger he built. I used straight kit wood and some of it was pretty heavy.

Dave

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2019, 09:13:21 PM »
Good evening Gentlemen,

I know I'm waking up a stale thread, but this is the only one I could find.

I'd like hints regarding this kit. How did yours turn out?

Mr. Dave, yours used an engine on the small side. How did it fly? How did it balance? Did you have to add any nose weight?

Mr. Scott, how did yours handle? Did it have any ill behavior for having an engine on the large end of the spectrum? Did you have to add tail weight?

If anyone else here did this kit, chime in. If you posted any details elsewhere, point me there!

I'm considering several engines all across the board. Engines under consideration are a Cox .15 Medallion (lightest/weakest option), a Norvel Big Mig .15 (next lightest, I think), the OS LA .15 (but I'll need to source a venturi), a K&B .18 (heavier than the others but available new), and finally a Norvel Big Mig .25 (definitely appears to be  at the high end of power, and weight).

My hope is to be able to fly loops (inside/outside), fly inverted, and horizontal-eights. I'd like to be in the air for about four to five minutes. Lines.will be no less.than 50 feet, and maybe longer...say, 55-60 feet.
So, really, I know the kit was designed before all the engines I listed, but there is no reference out on the InterWebs regarding the kit, and weights/balance. I will say that if the Medallion is chosen, then it would be appropriate to present a build log on CEF. Any other engine choice, the build log winds up here, with teasers on RCG.

My next move is to measure the fuselage (already noted for being narrow/small up front), and cross-reference my engine options to see what fits without re-engineering the fuselage. Any hints on weights/balance may tip the scales (uhuh, a pun) on engine choices. A lot of time has been spent already checking weights and comparisons between differing engine pairs, but nothing really jumps out as "the best option."

I do understand lighter is better, but weaker (and maybe unable to perform loops/8s) ...and heavier is faster, but maybe not as maneuverable.

Thanks in advance,

Offline John Skukalek

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2019, 06:19:28 PM »
I am building one with an OS 15

Offline John Skukalek

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2019, 06:21:39 PM »
I think the original version of the Musciano Challenger was a larger airplane than the Blackhawk kit. Has anyone ever built or seen one?

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2019, 06:58:41 PM »
Hi John

Thanks for jumping in. The original is indeed a larger model, with wing offset. I think the original is 44".

I just got finished doing a parts inventory...it is all in the box.

How far along are you with your build? Does it look like you'll need some weight, or will it be pretty close with your chosen engine? Which OS 15? Vintage or newer LA15?

Thanks,

Offline John Skukalek

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2019, 07:49:34 PM »
Hi Jim

The OS 15 is not an LA, its old. And honestly I'm using it because it seems to fit nicely in the nose of the plane without hacking the engine bearers. I am not very experienced. I have the wing built and glued into the partially constructed fuse. I won't have much time to work on it for a while due to job demands. My ultimate goal is to have the full sized version some day.

Good luck with yours and I would love to hear/see all about it!     

Advertise Here
Tags: tag you're it! 

Advertise Here