News:

• June 01, 2024, 09:27:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bill Rich new ruiling comes down from mount olimpus  (Read 17582 times)

Offline jose modesto

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Bill Rich new ruiling comes down from mount olimpus
« on: January 09, 2011, 04:50:56 AM »
Hello All

I am posting this BOM clarification from the NATs Event Director Bill Rich. Please see below

Clarification of BOM at 2011 Nats -Not a reinterpertation of the BOM Rule

The BOM rule will be strictly enforced at the 2011 Nats. Kits/airplanes that have the flying surfaces covered when purchased/acquired do not qualify for BOM. Gel Coat or primered - painted airplanes ,or solid hard finished surfaces such as molded fiberglass or Carbon Fiber molded surfaces will not be allowed under BOM. Gel Coat is part of an actual type of finish of the flying surfaces, over the covering. On many planes it the finish. Airplanes that are pre-painted with primer also represent a type of finsh over the covering of the flying surfaces.

I am having a hard time understanding some of the posts I have seen regarding the enforcement of the AMA BOM rule at the Nats. When a Nats entrant signs the entry form he/she is signing a statement that they are in fact the Builder of the Model. As ED I am charged with enforcing the BOM rule. I am not accusing any of the past EDs of not correctly enforcing BOM.

The BOM rule is very clear, if the model’s flying surfaces are covered in the kit, then these are in fact ARF and not ARC and therefore do not qualify under the current BOM rule. If you have purchased a commercial manufactured plane with pre-covered flying surfaces don’t bring it to the Nats and try to compete in Junior Senior or Open. The very nature of molded construction causes the covering of the flying surfaces to occur. Examples would be the Yatsenko planes, Sharks, Classics, and others like the Blue Max and Extra 300. There will be no “Grandfathered Planes,” just because they may have been allowed to compete in prior Nats; they will not be allowed to compete in 2011. Rather than trying to get around BOM by compromising your integrity, why not build an airplane that meets the BOM requirement and compete on a level field with all the other Nats competitors.

It seems that each year, the line gets pushed further and further as to what is allowed under the rather nebulous "interpretation" that the AMA generated several years ago. The reason for that interpretation was valid at that time. There was a serious threat of multiple protests that could have had the effect of shutting down our whole Nats event that year. Nonetheless, the interpretation was made and was inserted in the rulebook and we have been saddled with that ever since, whether it is good, bad or indifferent.

Basically, I think the AMA BOM requirements for our CLPA event are acceptable. The Nats EDs now have a problem with how far this ARF/ARC thing has gone. When a flier first appeared at the Nats with a Shark by Yatsenko, he had done his homework to document that his was a special kit that was especially set up by Yatsenko to qualify as a kit. It had come in pieces and he had assembled it. He had documentation to show the E.D. what he had started with and of his assembly. The E.D. readily admits that he put more emphasis on the time required to assemble the “special kit” and neglected to apply the “covering” of flying surfaces part of the rule. The photos used to document the building clearly showed the surfaces were already covered when purchased. Nevertheless, his model qualified as a BOM. Unfortunately, there are now prebuilt airplanes available (Made in Russia, the Ukraine or elsewhere) that their owners feel are acceptable because a previous model was acceptable, not knowing all the details that went into the decision.

So were do we go from here? The line has been pushed too far. I do not think it is too late to redraw the line and push back to where we have some semblance of a BOM. There are those who argue that our CLPA event is a flying event. That is not entirely correct. I think it is best described as a model airplane event that means that the contestant builds and flies his model in competition. That has essentially been the case since the BOM requirement went into the rulebook in the late 1940s.

It will not be easy to put the “Genie back in the bottle,” but we must do so. To allow planes that are pre-built, covered, primed and/or painted is unfair to the vast majority of competitors that build their own models to qualify for BOM. It is entirely unacceptable for a few contestants to ignore the rule and compromise their integrity to gain an advantage. The BOM rule depends on the individual’s integrity. It’s certainly difficult to enforce this rule, but it is not difficult to identify the commercially available molded airplanes that obviously don’t qualify for BOM. I personally have flown many of these planes and actually own a Blue Max. I would love to be able to compete with this plane at the Nats but it doesn’t qualify for BOM. If you do not agree with the current BOM rule then you must take the proper steps to either revise or eliminate it. Don’t try bending the rule to gain an advantage.

I want to be very clear on this point: I do not have any personal interest other than making sure we are following the BOM rule as defined. As 2011 Nats ED my responsibility is to see that rules pertaining to the event are followed.

Offline jose modesto

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Bill Rich new ruiling comes down from mount olimpus
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 05:17:31 AM »
First, Bill is the insinuation of cheating for following the rules as practiced is beneath you..
since 2004 after the BOM ruling clarification these models with surfaces that do not require covering were accepted as BOM compliant. BOM further states that a models doesnot require covering is acceptable under BOM. ALL MODELS FLOWN DURING THIS TIME WERE LEGAL AND ACCEPTED BY THE PREVIOUS 2 NAT'S Ed's Is injurist to some to insinuate illegality, it's miss placed and wrong.
The BOM is obviously a living document not one set in concrete just look at all the innovation's and new technology that have been allowed under the antiquated BOM
1) foam wings
2) ARC
3) carbon fiber
a.props
b.mufflers
c.cowlings
d.spinners ETC.
E.Dave midgly fiberglass molded wings and fuse
Bill now has outlawed new manufacturing means just to eliminate one competitor. i never would of thought as an AMERICAN that a mere molded shell would have Me quaking in your boots.
Jose Modesto
PS. I have a financial stake as i have spent the last 8 years and over 10,000 dollars developing composite models for commercial purposes Bill with this out of the box ruling has ruined my investment in this field>
Molds shown above are for the Impact
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 06:48:46 AM by jose modesto »

Offline jose modesto

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 06:15:21 AM »
AMA actual builder of the model rule
. 6. Builder of Model. The CD shall make every
reasonable effort to assure himself that each flier has
completely “constructed’ the model(s) he uses in
competition, including the covering where used, with
“constructed” to be interpreted as the action required to
CB

complete a model starting with no more prefabrication than
the amount used in the average kit (“average kit” is
interpreted by Control Line Aerobatics as a model that may
consist of precut, unassembled parts or assembled
(uncovered) subcomponents such as wings, horizontal and
vertical stab, fuselage; requiring a few hours of assembly
time and covering). Models which are completely
prefabricated (“completely prefabricated” is interpreted as
the model is ready to fly out of the box or in a few minutes
(less than an hour) of assembly time.) and require only a
few minutes (less than an hour) of unskilled effort for their
completion shall be excluded from competition. (Control
Aerobatics additionally interprets that any model, that is
pre-covered in the box is excluded from competition). In
the case of rubber-powered models (excluding Indoor
duration models), commercially available balsa, plastic, and
hardwood propellers may be used. Materials and design
may be obtained from any source, including kits. The
builder-of-the-model rule applies to every AMA event
unless specifically noted otherwise in the rules governing
that event.
Jose modesto

Offline jose modesto

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 06:26:15 AM »
If a Shark is purchased with all carbonfiber, fiberglass on the interior surface and the exterior of surface is left as raw wood and meet the component and the more than one hour of skilled assembly is this OK up on mount Olympus.
Jose modesto
I think this should be Called check Mate.
Photo atached is of model with surfaces as described. the flaps as removed from the mold without finish. the model in photo is electric and has no finish on flaps this is an example of what the rule allows as currently interpreted.

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 07:15:48 AM »
Sounds rather restrictive to me. Okay...it's fine to bracket owner/builder/finisher in their own even, and "all others" in their own even, sanctioned under the same assoc. event! But stifling the hobby with undue restrictions, without some sort of relief valve just seems bad for C/L in general. P/S....I have only one of the afore mentioned abominations[Nobler-arf], and I have yet to fly it...........maybe I'll change my mind after I do! Not! ;D
John Stiles             Tulip, Ar.

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 07:21:45 AM »
Growing government ever bigger: modeler must fashion his/her own bell crank......must build his/her own engine, with no factory parts except the glowplug! No plastic blow-molded tanks allowed! LL~  H^^

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 08:28:14 AM »
John' you didn't go far enough. Competitor must weave their own fiberglass, grow their own balsa and mine the minerals to make their powerplant.

Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 08:49:28 AM »
Hi Jose,

I understand your angst, I know you have invested a lot in developing molded components that had been acceptable.    I know that planes have been acceptable in the past, also.  I cannot argue, nor would I want to, with the points you make, but I cannot argue with the authority for the NATS ED to make decisions, either.  He/she is charged with that responsibility by the AMA.

I'm not drinking buddies with Bill Rich.  I have known him on a personal basis for many years now, though.  In saying that, I cannot believe he is targeting one person with his ruling, nor any small contingent whom fly a plane under question.  Just "my opinion" which is good for only that, an opinion.  

It is my opinion, and only my opinion (which I warn against using, myself), that this ruling goes beyond Bill's "elimination" of any "particular" (which I do not "believe" is his intent) participant.  IMHO, it goes to a deeper contingent of participants in the CLPA world that have the enormous feelings about the BOM.  It is their right, however, to use their influence as much as possible.  My personal feelings, either way, don't really count.  

Do I have any individual in mind?  No, not really.

Do I feel that "interpretations" are an "Unnecessary Evil", yes.

Jose, hang in there.  I would hate to see you, or anyone, basically, leave the event because of things like this.  Pay no attention to the jokesters who would make light of a very serious situation.  I, like you, will keep this thread, on track.  It is an issue that could have much longer lasting implications than many of the uniformed might realize.

I may not personally agree with all aspects of the ruling (or any other ruling that will be made or has been made), but I have to defend the ED who is charged to make the rulings by the AMA under the present situation.  And trust, in such, that any personal connections do not exist.

Bill Little
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 08:56:55 AM »
If I am understanding the builder of the model rule the way you are stating it.
Models built using the cox foam wings That they used on the me109 stunter thing.
Would never be eligible for a nats event.
Even the models made from wood using the wings .
Am I correct ?

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 09:09:44 AM »
PS. I have a financial stake as i have spent the last 8 years and over 10,000 dollars developing composite models for commercial purposes Bill with this out of the box ruling has ruined my investment in this field>

This is ONE rule for ONE contest! How many people do you think were going to use you're plane at the Nats? You're planes would be legal at most contest on the East coast as well as any FAI event. I don't see how this affects you're investment?????

Show some shark molds.......

Offline jose modesto

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 09:23:49 AM »
Yes. any flying surface that its part of the finish(interpreted as fiberglass type surface) is exposed to air (all airplane surfaces  are flying surfaces) so the entire wetted area of a plane is a flying surface. words have meanings and the words used banned allot more than wings'fuse'stabs'elev.
Look at what else it  eliminates
a fiberglass cowlings (Sig chipmunk)
b any model with a smooth bubble canopy (supplied by others)
c carbon fiber Mufflers exposed to view(air)
d all fiberglass and carbon wheel pants
e A stretch but as model must be presented ready for flight carbon fiber props
f carbon fiber landing gear (are judged for app.Pt's.) most are refinished
G you fill in the rest
"Sometimes when we get zealous about a cause blindness can set in and injustice will follow"
any model kit or custom can be illegal with the rule as written just look at items above.
Do i think that the above is the intent NO but this over zealous lets get the Shark has consequences.
Next we will have a re re re interpretation of the rule
Jose Modesto

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 09:24:40 AM »
Hi Jose,

Jose, hang in there.  I would hate to see you, or anyone, basically, leave the event because of things like this.  Pay no attention to the jokesters who would make light of a very serious situation.   And trust, in such, that any personal connections do not exist.

Bill Little
Why thankyou Bill.....I for one would never joke about anything as seemingly serious as this. Nor would I kidnap the thread....just having sympathy pains for Jose and others effected. I hope they feel better to know they are in my thoughts! H^^

Offline jose modesto

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 09:28:54 AM »
Derek actually five weregoing to be at this years nat's now new planes must be made for the other 3 one may not come.
Jose modesto
2Ea Impacts
1Ea impact master
1Ea SV22
Jose Modesto
This means that windy and Dave are also out of business with the composite fuse and wings.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011, 09:31:13 AM »
If I am understanding the builder of the model rule the way you are stating it.
Models built using the cox foam wings That they used on the me109 stunter thing.
Would never be eligible for a nats event.
Even the models made from wood using the wings .
Am I correct ?

Hi Jim,

As "I" am stating it?  I haven't stated it, Bill Rich has. ;D  And as Derek has pointed out, it is only for the 2011 NATS.  Could be entirely different for the 2012 NATS.

But, yes, the Cox foam wings would not be eligible, under this ruling, for J,S,O. at the NATS in 2011.

"the other" Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Chuck Feldman

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2011, 09:41:46 AM »
Bill Little,  Please keep this thread open on the forum.

Jose, please continue your efforts in making better models for the event. Take comfort in the fact that you have flown and won the very contest you are being barred from. I have seen you fly and have been one of the judges at the KOI in the fly off competition. While doing this I knew that I was witnessing some of the best fliers in the USA and beyond.

The flying by all who where involved was outstanding. But the fact remains you where the best of the best. So you must go on.

It is so interesting to see the rule that was put into effect because certain kids where flying models that others had built for them that gave them an advantage in the events they flew has now evolved to where it is today.

Continue your quest.

Chuck Feldman
Chuck Feldman
AMA 15850

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2011, 09:47:18 AM »
Sorry bill, when I said as you stated I meant the person that made the ruling.

Offline jose modesto

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2011, 10:18:05 AM »
Just for clarification
Orestes Hernandez has won the Nat's twice with a shark. Orestes also won (2010) Bronze world champion
Josias Delgado won advance with a shark
Alex Becerril won advance with a Yatzenko Classic
i think this is the list of the Yatzenko championships
Don't recall if Alberto Haber won advance or was just kicked upstairs.
Jose Modesto
I have spent the last 3 years preparing my retirement part time job the dream was to be able to live in the tropics during building season and sell 12 Models a year(800.00 per model) then return to the NYC area in late April just in time for flying season in the north east. i guess the Grinch stole Christmas Now i have wasted 3 years of preparation setting up the shop in the Carribean and making all Molds its pretty tough right now to know that i need to do plan B instead of A
Don't feel bad for me as i have a Home on the beach lest than 30 yds to water with my Sailboat parked less than 200 yds away. the modeling was icing on the cake. retirement will still be sweet BTW you to could own a home for under $200,000 this is not a milionaires life just a workin Man.
Photo ofboat was for distance and general look my boat in marinathis was getaway day
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 11:16:35 AM by jose modesto »

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2011, 11:18:47 AM »
Well, I am just about tired of all this so I am going to get back to BUILDING my new NATS plane.

Jose, I hope that you have not taken any of this stuff personally....."It is just winter sport!"

Derek Out!

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2011, 11:37:38 AM »
Yes. any flying surface that its part of the finish(interpreted as fiberglass type surface) is exposed to air (all airplane surfaces  are flying surfaces) so the entire wetted area of a plane is a flying surface. words have meanings and the words used banned allot more than wings'fuse'stabs'elev.
Look at what else it  eliminates
a fiberglass cowlings (Sig chipmunk)
b any model with a smooth bubble canopy (supplied by others)
c carbon fiber Mufflers exposed to view(air)
d all fiberglass and carbon wheel pants
e A stretch but as model must be presented ready for flight carbon fiber props
f carbon fiber landing gear (are judged for app.Pt's.) most are refinished
G you fill in the rest
"Sometimes when we get zealous about a cause blindness can set in and injustice will follow"
any model kit or custom can be illegal with the rule as written just look at items above.
Do i think that the above is the intent NO but this over zealous lets get the Shark has consequences.
Next we will have a re re re interpretation of the rule
Jose Modesto

So let him know that you're going to build a clunker plane that he can't object to, that you're going to go to the Nats, and that you're going to challenge each and every plane that has any one of those features.  If you can, recruit help for this endeavor.  If he says "that's not what I meant" then show him what he wrote above and say "that's what you said".

Hopefully he hasn't thought his language through and he really means fully pre-built airplanes, but if he really means that I can't buy a set of wing skins that'll take me 50 hours of assembly to get a (super) straight wing out of and fly at the Nats, then I have a problem with his interpretation of the BOM, and I'll be letting my district VP know that I'm being actively discouraged from taking up PA in favor of a set of rules that will harm our chances on the international stage.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline jose modesto

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2011, 12:06:14 PM »
Derek me to as to building
"D" do you remember what each wing panel weighs prior to any finish. I'm looking for a comparison to my molded take apart SV22 wing. This wing its almost same size as your Dreadnought and in using very similar plug in system.
None of it is personal as to my competing at Nat's. But "D" my business venture after so much time and effort invested to have one mans hate for a particular model reck my business now that is personal.
For the business i will fight. As far as Nat's what ever the rules i can play with the best of them.
Remember that today is me tomorrow it might be you.
Jose Modesto
Just completed the new SV22 molds wing,fuse,stab and building a model for the comming season hoping for 64Oz  Epower
Impact and impact Master molds are also completed, models have been test flown, good flying models.

Offline Chuck Feldman

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2011, 12:13:53 PM »
Well LOL   Jose if you had not of listed the Sharks victories I would have never realized that I have the wrong hispanic person in mind. So if you would excuse me for thinking you where the former 2 time Nat's winner. But never the less I have stated my opinion on the BOM issue and I stand by it. Do well with your retirement and investment, enjoy it.  
Chuck Feldman
AMA 15850

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2011, 12:19:07 PM »
The "international" stage has NO BOM.   H^^
That's my point.  Just having a BOM means that we don't cultivate superlative pilots who are not also superlative builders.  Interpreting the BOM to mean "absolutely nothing higher tech than 1950" means we're shooting ourselves in the foot come the Worlds.

I think Bill's interpretation goes too far -- if he really means that I can't buy skins from Jose and glue them onto a wing skeleton, then why should I be allowed to buy UltraCoat and glue that onto a wing skeleton?  Regardless of how I feel about the BOM, I think that Bill's interpretation of it as stated could be read to exclude a lot of things that I feel are perfectly legal with the BOM as stated.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2011, 12:35:22 PM »
Tim,

Ok, getting hold of yur Distric VP is a great start.  It will be great if any action is taken beyond him'her passing it along.

I don't think this might affect you this year, maybe never.  Are you panning a trip to Muncie to enter Open in July 2011??  I could very easily not even be in effect at th NATS in 2012.  

50 hours of prep must mean you are cutting your own balsa and REALLY building from scratch.  NONE of the premade components I have seen, and I have seen most all, could  I consider would possibly take that long to get ready to put in the plane.

Harm our chances on the International Level?  Don't tell Mr. William Werwage that, he won the World's three cycles ago (2004 to go with his wins in 1970 and 1972), not that long, and David Fitzgerald has won it since then.  Anyway the 2011 NATS ruling has absolutely NOTHING to do with what a competitor can fly at the World's!  Bill Rich, himself, flew a Blue Max at the 2010 WC's.  This is NATS, 2011 ruling, as written, already submitted for publication and will probably not be altered before it is printed in Stunt News and the NATS Contestants Package.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2011, 12:45:44 PM »
So if I make my own molds and build a carbon fiber plane it's illegal?
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2011, 12:47:24 PM »
"Bill now has outlawed new manufacturing means just to eliminate one competitor."

I have nothing to do with the AMA ruling but I can tell you for a fact the above statement is totally false.

There are too many things like this being written and making accusations against Bill Rich
I would advise anyone to think about what they are writing and accusing Bill of.  False and completely made up accusations against Bill help nothing
I can tell you for a fact this is flat not true,

Bill never has made this personal against 1 flyer, It "will"  affect many people.
 Bill Rich is charged with enforcing the rules we have now.
Anyone who stated Bill is out to get 1 competitor , or 1 airplane is Not telling the truth and their accusation is false.

It does not benefit to the conversation to make up your own interpretation of totally absurd rules and post them as fact either, Nor does trying to stretch wildly and say something so ridiculous as some have posted.

I would advise people to stick to the facts

Regards
Randy

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2011, 12:50:42 PM »
So if I make my own molds and build a carbon fiber plane it's illegal?

Randy

NO WHERE in any of the published statement, or AMA BOM rule, can you come to that conclusion.
Any model you, Jose, Windy, Dave, Yuri, etc.... makes molds on and  build is legal for the builder of that model to fly

Randy

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2011, 12:58:42 PM »
I think he's making some good points here, and I think he's going way overboard on others.  I do think he's spot-on when he talks about just enforcing the rule as written, and inviting a change -- ED's shouldn't be legislating.  On the other hand, I think he's going hard over in the wrong direction in his interpretation, or at least he is being terribly unclear on just how and when molded components can be used.

Clarification of BOM at 2011 Nats -Not a reinterpertation of the BOM Rule

The BOM rule will be strictly enforced at the 2011 Nats. Kits/airplanes that have the flying surfaces covered when purchased/acquired do not qualify for BOM. Gel Coat or primered - painted airplanes ,or solid hard finished surfaces such as molded fiberglass or Carbon Fiber molded surfaces will not be allowed under BOM. Gel Coat is part of an actual type of finish of the flying surfaces, over the covering.

Gel Coat?*

Anyway, at this point I'm OK with what he's saying -- no finished-in-the-mold surfaces that I buy from Jose or whoever.  Presumably Jose can finish his own airframes in the mold, or he can invite friends over to finish their airframes in the mold, or he can invent a technology where he sells one-off molds for anybody to make airframes, finishing them in molds that only last for one or two sets of surfaces.

On many planes it the finish. Airplanes that are pre-painted with primer also represent a type of finsh over the covering of the flying surfaces.

Now, this both goes too far and shows a lack of understanding of the molding process.  First, you can't have a molded part without something that a Philadelphia lawyer could make out to be "a finish".  Second, for many processes you can't reasonably ship a part without something that that same Philadelphia lawyer could call "primer".  Third, unless you're getting an entire one-piece wing skin that includes top & bottom, you're going to have to do extensive work around any lines where you glue panels together to clean them up.  That kind of work isn't trivial, unless Jose is really good at what he does.  Fourth -- exactly how is this different from UltraCoat?  Note that if you say "Ultracoat is floppy" I will immediately ask you for a measure of floppiness in engineering units that marks the defining line between an acceptable or an unacceptable finish.

This turns the BOM rule into a "no advanced materials at all" rule.  That's great for anyone stuck in 1950, but it sure doesn't work for me.

I am having a hard time understanding some of the posts I have seen regarding the enforcement of the AMA BOM rule at the Nats. When a Nats entrant signs the entry form he/she is signing a statement that they are in fact the Builder of the Model. As ED I am charged with enforcing the BOM rule. I am not accusing any of the past EDs of not correctly enforcing BOM.

The BOM rule is very clear, if the model’s flying surfaces are covered in the kit, then these are in fact ARF and not ARC and therefore do not qualify under the current BOM rule. If you have purchased a commercial manufactured plane with pre-covered flying surfaces don’t bring it to the Nats and try to compete in Junior Senior or Open. The very nature of molded construction causes the covering of the flying surfaces to occur.

So I can buy a wing from Jose, cover it with Silkspan, and that's OK?  I'd like to hear an answer on that.

Examples would be the Yatsenko planes, Sharks, Classics, and others like the Blue Max and Extra 300.

I.e., anything using post-1950 technology.  Oh my, I feel so special.  Why not just cancel control line PA entirely, and limit all competition to Old Time Stunt?

He may have a point here, and if so then the BOM rule desperately needs to be revised.

There will be no “Grandfathered Planes,” just because they may have been allowed to compete in prior Nats; they will not be allowed to compete in 2011.

This, actually, I can agree with.  If he thinks things have gone off the rails and he wants to put them back -- fine.  I hope he isn't surprised to find twisted rails on the ground when he's done.

Rather than trying to get around BOM by compromising your integrity, why not build an airplane that meets the BOM requirement and compete on a level field with all the other Nats competitors.

This sure sounds like a slap in the face to somebody

It seems that each year, the line gets pushed further and further as to what is allowed under the rather nebulous "interpretation" that the AMA generated several years ago. The reason for that interpretation was valid at that time. There was a serious threat of multiple protests that could have had the effect of shutting down our whole Nats event that year. Nonetheless, the interpretation was made and was inserted in the rulebook and we have been saddled with that ever since, whether it is good, bad or indifferent.

Once again, getting things back on the rails is laudable.

Basically, I think the AMA BOM requirements for our CLPA event are acceptable.

If this is how they can be read, I think they stink.  If this is acceptable to you, Bill, then you should "show some integrity" yourself, and campaign to eliminate control line PA altogether in the US, and only have Old Time Stunt.

The Nats EDs now have a problem with how far this ARF/ARC thing has gone. When a flier first appeared at the Nats with a Shark by Yatsenko, he had done his homework to document that his was a special kit that was especially set up by Yatsenko to qualify as a kit. It had come in pieces and he had assembled it. He had documentation to show the E.D. what he had started with and of his assembly. The E.D. readily admits that he put more emphasis on the time required to assemble the “special kit” and neglected to apply the “covering” of flying surfaces part of the rule. The photos used to document the building clearly showed the surfaces were already covered when purchased. Nevertheless, his model qualified as a BOM. Unfortunately, there are now prebuilt airplanes available (Made in Russia, the Ukraine or elsewhere) that their owners feel are acceptable because a previous model was acceptable, not knowing all the details that went into the decision.

So were do we go from here? The line has been pushed too far. I do not think it is too late to redraw the line and push back to where we have some semblance of a BOM. There are those who argue that our CLPA event is a flying event. That is not entirely correct. I think it is best described as a model airplane event that means that the contestant builds and flies his model in competition. That has essentially been the case since the BOM requirement went into the rulebook in the late 1940s.

"Some semblance of a BOM" and completely eliminating entire swaths of modeling technology are two different things, though.

It will not be easy to put the “Genie back in the bottle,” but we must do so. To allow planes that are pre-built, covered, primed and/or painted is unfair to the vast majority of competitors that build their own models to qualify for BOM.

I still take exception to the notion that a plane that has molded components -- that still must be integrated into the finish of the rest of the plane -- is somehow a snap to finish.

It is entirely unacceptable for a few contestants to ignore the rule and compromise their integrity to gain an advantage. The BOM rule depends on the individual’s integrity. It’s certainly difficult to enforce this rule, but it is not difficult to identify the commercially available molded airplanes that obviously don’t qualify for BOM. I personally have flown many of these planes and actually own a Blue Max. I would love to be able to compete with this plane at the Nats but it doesn’t qualify for BOM. If you do not agree with the current BOM rule then you must take the proper steps to either revise or eliminate it.

Hear hear!

Don’t try bending the rule to gain an advantage.

You heard it -- no fiberglass cowls, no prefinished props (remember "just because it's been allowed before..."), no wheels with the original finish, no pre-formed canopies, etc.

I want to be very clear on this point: I do not have any personal interest other than making sure we are following the BOM rule as defined. As 2011 Nats ED my responsibility is to see that rules pertaining to the event are followed.
[/quote]

I think that Bill's interpretation goes too far, and that he would do better to find an interpretation of the rules that does allow honest builders who use some modern technology components to compete.  If any good comes out of this uber-strict interpretation of the rules, it'll be a rewording of the BOM or it's utter elimination (and note: I build my own models, so I'm not just grumbling because I want to buy a plane and win -- I'm grumbling because I think the BOM is a ball and chain around the ankles of Americans, who I want to go to the Worlds and win, consistently).

* A side comment here:
Gel Coat, as I know it, is way too heavy for Control line PA.  By the time you get
a layer of the Gel Coat that I'm familiar with into a mold, of sufficient thickness
that it won't alligator when you hit it with resin, you've used up your weight
budget for the entire airframe.

That doesn't mean that there have been advances since I was applying Gel Coat
for money in a job long, long ago, and it
certainly doesn't mean that there
aren't other things that act like Gel Coat only lighter, that are colloquially called
Gel Coat.

AMA 64232

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2011, 01:16:56 PM »
"This turns the BOM rule into a "no advanced materials at all" rule.  That's great for anyone stuck in 1950, but it sure doesn't work for me."

Tim

NO where will you find any of the BOM statement saying this, You or anyone else can use any materials you want exotic-hi tech, or otherwise. You just have to make your own , not buy a pre built plane made of whatever.

Some of your post was accurate and insightful,Lots of what you posted is not correct ,and nowhere does it state those things by any reasonable  reading  of it.
However trying to twist-litigate  rules here and twist them will not change how things get done.

No where does it say anything , for example ,about wheels and canopies  etc.., both those items have been parts of a normal kit for decades

If this does anything or nothing maybe the BOM rule will get changed, updated, clarified, or etc...

At any rate  it will serve  NO constructive purpose  for anyone to try to make this a personal fight, because is isn't

Randy

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2011, 01:30:58 PM »
Just for clarification
Orestes Hernandez has won the Nat's twice with a shark. Orestes also won (2010) Bronze world champion
Josias Delgado won advance with a shark
Alex Becerril won advance with a Yatzenko Classic
i think this is the list of the Yatzenko championships
Don't recall if Alberto Haber won advance or was just kicked upstairs.
Jose Modesto
I have spent the last 3 years preparing my retirement part time job the dream was to be able to live in the tropics during building season and sell 12 Models a year(800.00 per model) then return to the NYC area in late April just in time for flying season in the north east. i guess the Grinch stole Christmas Now i have wasted 3 years of preparation setting up the shop in the Carribean and making all Molds its pretty tough right now to know that i need to do plan B instead of A
Don't feel bad for me as i have a Home on the beach lest than 30 yds to water with my Sailboat parked less than 200 yds away. the modeling was icing on the cake. retirement will still be sweet BTW you to could own a home for under $200,000 this is not a milionaires life just a workin Man.
Photo ofboat was for distance and general look my boat in marinathis was getaway day

Jose I think you need to take a nap and think about what you are posting.  You have only mentioned one event in which the molded plane you do is illegal for BOM.  The other two events are Junior and Senior.  In all the PAMPA/AMA events they just give up the possible 20 points.  Again there are only a hand full that can get the 20 points.    You still have all the people that fly Intermediate, Advance and Expert all across this great country and the world.  Remember Expert is not flown at the NATS.  Myself I can not afford such planes.  At one time I did mold fuselages for F2C but for myself only.   Now my queston is how many people complaining about this rule fly Open, Junior or Senior at the NATS? H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2011, 01:44:31 PM »
Canopies and wheels? LL~ LL~ LL~

Give me a break....

This rule is to just keep someone from buying a RTF's and going to the NAT's.

Give it a rest already.

I no desire to go back to the NAT's or compete at the NAT's so I have no dawg in this fight.
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline jose modesto

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2011, 02:05:50 PM »
Kits/airplanes that have the flying surfaces covered when purchased/acquired do not qualify for BOM. Gel Coat or primered - painted airplanes ,or solid hard finished surfaces such as molded fiberglass or Carbon Fiber molded surfaces will not be allowed under BOM. Gel Coat is part of an actual type of finish of the flying surfaces, over the covering. On many planes it the finish. Airplanes that are pre-painted with primer also represent a type of finsh over the covering of the flying surfaces.

Randy we now have to define flying surfaces(not what Bill means) in airplane design flying surface are the entire wet area of a plane this includes all exposed surfaces so if the rule is meant in a technical sense then all surfaces are flying surfaces and will preclude all composite parts. knowing Bill I'm sure he is talking wings and tails but his words are not clear.
are plastic cowls SIG CHIPMUNK  to be considered prefinished as fuse is a flying surface or are we now going to start to carve out exceptions for what Bill really means.
When the rule are specific to one model as these rules are specially targeted to the Shark i think is personal. if it quacks and walks like a duck is usually a duck.
Jose Modesto

PS composite SV-22 is coming in at reasonable weights 62To 65oz

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2011, 03:35:32 PM »
HI Jose

Bill didn't write the BOM, it was done several years ago, I asked what they meant by flying surfaces, I was told it was what most everyone considers flying surfaces...this is the wing flaps , elevators, vert. and horz.  stabs.
It was not meant to mean bellcranks, wheels, spinners or the like.

This will have to be resolved with AMA  as it is their rules...not Bills rules. Also people writing that it will or maybe differant in 2012 are making an inaccurate post, Dave Fitz has posted already that he will run it exactly the same way,   if  the  rules are the same as today

And it does NOT  only affect Sharks, CLassics, BM Comps, the guys building the Extras, and anyone else making prebuilt models for sale

Maybe this can get  resolved and fixed soon......one day. 
regards

Randy

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2011, 03:46:55 PM »
Sorry for my comment on it "possibly" might not be the same in 2012.  I had not seen David's postings.  But "anything" is basically "possible", right? LOL!!  Plus, according to the Mayan calendar, the NATS will take place before all of this will be a moot point, now 2013 might be a whole 'nuther kettle of fish! LOL!!!!!!

Seriously, there are way too many possibilities of future events occurring to write anything in "stone", but I get your drift.  Whatever is, "is", and that's fine with me.  Especially since the possibility of my actually entering a NATS again in 2012 are more possible than ever.  Rules is rules, and we all gotta live by them. ;D

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2011, 03:52:46 PM »
Sorry for my comment on it "possibly" might not be the same in 2012.  I had not seen David's postings.  But "anything" is basically "possible", right? LOL!!  Plus, according to the Mayan calendar, the NATS will take place before all of this will be a moot point, now 2013 might be a whole 'nuther kettle of fish! LOL!!!!!!

Seriously, there are way too many possibilities of future events occurring to write anything in "stone", but I get your drift.  Whatever is, "is", and that's fine with me.  Especially since the possibility of my actually entering a NATS again in 2012 are more possible than ever.  Rules is rules, and we all gotta live by them. ;D

Bill

Hi Bill

My post are to get as much "accurate" information out there to people who would be involved with the NATs. They really need to know ASAP, and if it were not for that  I would not even bother  to address  the  post.
They are not meant to argue or start something with anyone, so your apology is certainly not needed as you were tryiing to do the same

Regards
Randy

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2011, 04:06:23 PM »
Nothin like a healthy debate to get things clarified.  H^^ We certainly wouldn't want things to get so complicated as to discourage the new people testing the waters[or do we?]. ;)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2011, 04:21:36 PM »
"This turns the BOM rule into a "no advanced materials at all" rule.  That's great for anyone stuck in 1950, but it sure doesn't work for me."

Tim

NO where will you find any of the BOM statement saying this, You or anyone else can use any materials you want exotic-hi tech, or otherwise. You just have to make your own , not buy a pre built plane made of whatever.

Some of your post was accurate and insightful,Lots of what you posted is not correct ,and nowhere does it state those things by any reasonable  reading  of it.
However trying to twist-litigate  rules here and twist them will not change how things get done.

I'm not sure if you're agreeing with me or slamming me, there.  It sounds like the BOM has been interpreted too loosely in the past, and he's tightening it up -- that's good.  If he's not going too far, it's not clear -- either going too far or not being clear is bad.  So I'm happy that the rules are being observed, even if I don't personally agree with the BOM rule.  I'm just concerned that clarity has not yet been achieved about what can be brought to the contest.

No where does it say anything , for example ,about wheels and canopies  etc.., both those items have been parts of a normal kit for decades

... There will be no “Grandfathered Planes,” just because they may have been allowed to compete in prior Nats; they will not be allowed to compete in 2011. ...

Yes, I was purposely taking an extreme example.  Taking a cowl or a canopy as a "flying surface" is a huge stretch, and I was taking that stretch to make a point.  But please tell me where, in the above statement, it leaves room for an interpretation that's been in effect for the last 60 years to be retained?  Exactly how much protection is there for an existing design or interpretation in "no grandfathered planes"?

Do I expect that canopies and cowls will be disallowed?  No.  Do I think that the "clarification" leaves things unclear?  Yes.  Am I worried for me?  No -- I build my own models, and besides, I currently put the 'rank' in 'rank beginner'.  Am I worried for the sport?  Yes.  Otherwise I'd keep my mouth shut.

So at what point does a composite surface stop being my work and start being someone else's?  OK, I'm barred from buying a complete plane and sticking decals on it -- I can cope.  I'm fully allowed to build my own molds and make my own plane -- that's fine, too.

But where's the line?  And what about all the cases that should be allowed and aren't, and all the cases that aren't allowed and should be?  That's what's not fine.  Can I buy pre-molded flat CF panels and bend them over a wing of my own creation, then finish up the seams?  Technically that would be a "no", but I think that's absurd.  Can I buy a completely set up, finished and decorated fuselage, with wings that I only need to cover with Ultracoat that's been pre-printed with a trim scheme?  Apparently (and absurdly) yes.  Can I buy pre-molded CF leading edges, integrate them into my wing (with a ton of hand work), and be legal -- a strict reading of Bill's proposal says "no", and I think you know what I think of that.  Can I buy a complete plane from Jose, cover the wings with silkspan, paint it with dope, and fly?  If that's clear to you then please speak up, because it sure isn't clear to me!

The problem that I see with the BOM vs. advanced materials, is that when you do anything molded you have to invest time and effort into the tooling.  That time and effort gets reflected in the finished parts.  So the tooling is expensive, but used correctly it can be used over and over again, creating economies of scale.  Those economies don't exist -- or don't exist to a great degree -- for the individual builder/competitor.  Thus, a BOM rule that doesn't let someone buy composite parts from Jose (or whoever -- I'm letting him stand in for the world, here) favors two populations: people who don't use composites at all, and really really rich people who can afford the time and money it takes to develop the tooling, just for their own airplanes.  You want to talk about twisted?  I think that's twisted.

There's a solution in this for Jose, by the way:  He can move to his Caribbean paradise and set up shop next door to a really nice bed and breakfast.  He can sell his planes for $800/pop to folks who aren't worried about the BOM rule.  Then, when someone wants to get one Jose's planes to compete at the Nats, he can fly in for a visit.  He can stay at said B&B, and Jose can buff out his molds, wax them, and let the guy put in pre-preg under Jose's direction.  Then he can carry the molds to Jose's autoclave and shove them in, and personally push the "go" button that makes the autoclave go through the heating/cooling profile that Jose has programmed in.  Then he can pull the parts and assemble them under Jose's direction, etc.  At every step of the way, he will have been "the builder of the model", without ever taking more responsibility for the final quality than a minimum-wage worker would have.  The process will conform to the current BOM rules in every way -- except the intent and spirit.

So I'm really not trying to say "this is all stupid", "we shouldn't do this", etc., etc.  I'm questioning the clarity of what's being said, and trying to investigate just what is and isn't allowed, and what will and will not be allowed.

If this does anything or nothing maybe the BOM rule will get changed, updated, clarified, or etc...

I hope so!

At any rate  it will serve  NO constructive purpose  for anyone to try to make this a personal fight, because is isn't

Randy

Rather than trying to get around BOM by compromising your integrity, why not build an airplane that meets the BOM requirement and compete on a level field with all the other Nats competitors.

If you would please explain to me how someone can point fingers at prior years' Nats competitors, call their integrity into question, and have it not be taken personally by those involved, I'm all ears.
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2011, 04:30:28 PM »
Nothin like a healthy debate to get things clarified.  H^^ We certainly wouldn't want things to get so complicated as to discourage the new people testing the waters[or do we?]. ;)
I find not knowing what I can do a heck of a lot more discouraging than having lines clearly drawn.
AMA 64232

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2011, 04:39:33 PM »
Nothing changes for me.  Build my own.  Fly my own.
No problem!

Mike
Mike

Offline jose modesto

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2011, 04:57:55 PM »
Randy does this mean that the Shark fuse with the fiberglass outer surface is OK. So the prefinish is only for the flying surfaces wing and tail. Thanks for the clarification.
The objection to the fiberglass surfaces is only for the wings,flaps,stab and Elevator so the objection is not to the fiberglass finish but to were this finish is located.
Doc I spent over 3 years developing Composite models at over 10,000 dollars in equipment and supplies. This was done with the idea that if the models were good and performed well these models could be sold and i could supplement my retirement income.
Doc since the Nat's is the USA premier contest (sorry North West regional) the plan was to fly these models, have them perform well and see if other flyer's would like to purchase. Doc like any competitive sport its the performance of the equipment at the premiere contest that creates a buzz and helps sales. Now This rout is temporarily closed
Since the BOM rules as they stand now allow a person to purchase a model Completely built by others, as long as the pilot does some assembly(1.5Hr) and he applies his own covering the model is BOM compliant
I thought that composite built COMPONENT kits would be legal. BTW they were legal up to 2 days ago as posted in forum.
If it was just for me to compete a have over 14 models to choose that are BOM compliant but for the # year investment of time and money that is a little different.
2 photos #1 1992Nat's #2 2002 Nat's 17 APP bubble on elevator one Hr before App judging it would of been higher. Just for the i build my own comment
 Something funny the paint job on the 1992 model was  copied and modified  from Bill Rich 1990 Nat's ship NOW THAT IS FUNNY
Jose Modesto
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 05:20:28 PM by jose modesto »

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2011, 06:28:30 PM »
Randy does this mean that the Shark fuse with the fiberglass outer surface is OK. So the prefinish is only for the flying surfaces wing and tail. Thanks for the clarification.
The objection to the fiberglass surfaces is only for the wings,flaps,stab and Elevator so the objection is not to the fiberglass finish but to were this finish is located.

Check your rules: the 2011-12 rules say "precovered in the box", without saying anything about flying surfaces.  So I'm not sure where the flying surfaces came from -- unless folks were thinking that even just the flying surfaces makes it bad.  I think I incorrectly riffed off of what Randy said.

You should read the rules yourself, decide for yourself what you would do if you were a CD trying earnestly to follow those rules, then you should decide if you want to fight the battle.

Doc I spent over 3 years developing Composite models at over 10,000 dollars in equipment and supplies. This was done with the idea that if the models were good and performed well these models could be sold and i could supplement my retirement income.
Doc since the Nat's is the USA premier contest (sorry North West regional) the plan was to fly these models, have them perform well and see if other flyer's would like to purchase. Doc like any competitive sport its the performance of the equipment at the premiere contest that creates a buzz and helps sales. Now This rout is temporarily closed

Since the BOM rules as they stand now allow a person to purchase a model Completely built by others, as long as the pilot does some assembly(1.5Hr) and he applies his own covering the model is BOM compliant

What are you defining as "covering"?  Obviously Bill is thinking that if it's in primer or something substantially equivalent that it is, indeed, "covered".  So, do you want to go head to head with that?

I thought that composite built COMPONENT kits would be legal. BTW they were legal up to 2 days ago as posted in forum.

They were recognized as being legal.  Their legality hasn't changed (I don't see any difference between the 2009 and 2011 BOM rule); only the interpretation of the rule has changed.  In a way you can be thankful that this interpretation is being done now, instead of at the Nats!  But it's been made pretty clear that prior interpretations of the rule are being thrown out the window, allowed to drop several stories onto concrete, and then stomped on.  The new interpretation has been spelled out, and it's different.

Personally I think one could go two ways with the "covering" interpretation, and perhaps that's the problem: either any outer skin is a "covering", or only a bunch of fabric or film is "covering".  In the first case, a pre-fabbed composite model is "covered", in the second case it never has to be "covered".  If there was a case of rules just crying out to be clarified, this is it.

In the mean time you have to decide how much of a stink you want to raise, and with whom.

If it was just for me to compete a have over 14 models to choose that are BOM compliant but for the # year investment of time and money that is a little different.
2 photos #1 1992Nat's #2 2002 Nat's 17 APP bubble on elevator one Hr before App judging it would of been higher. Just for the i build my own comment
 Something funny the paint job on the 1992 model was  copied and modified  from Bill Rich 1990 Nat's ship NOW THAT IS FUNNY
Jose Modesto
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2011, 06:36:46 PM »
First, Bill is the insinuation of cheating for following the rules as practiced is beneath you..
since 2004 after the BOM ruling clarification these models with surfaces that do not require covering were accepted as BOM compliant. BOM further states that a models doesnot require covering is acceptable under BOM. ALL MODELS FLOWN DURING THIS TIME WERE LEGAL AND ACCEPTED BY THE PREVIOUS 2 NAT'S Ed's Is injurist to some to insinuate illegality, it's miss placed and wrong.
The BOM is obviously a living document not one set in concrete just look at all the innovation's and new technology that have been allowed under the antiquated BOM
1) foam wings
2) ARC
3) carbon fiber
a.props
b.mufflers
c.cowlings
d.spinners ETC.
E.Dave midgly fiberglass molded wings and fuse
Bill now has outlawed new manufacturing means just to eliminate one competitor. i never would of thought as an AMERICAN that a mere molded shell would have Me quaking in your boots.
Jose Modesto

Jose:

Do you really just make the molded shell?  Truly?  And leave the rest of the construction to the builder?

Is this a fully monocoque fuse, when it's done, or is there internal structure?

Because I'm looking at this thinking that if there is internal structure then either I glue your stuff onto some inside stuff and that means I'm "applying covering", or when I glue all that stuff on ("apply" it) then I'm not "applying covering" which means that it's not covering.  Either way, I'm the builder of the model.

If it's fully monocoque, then you're not on as firm a ground.  But it still doesn't look to me like you're just selling an airplane that's ready to fly.

Have you checked with Bill, outlined your particular build process, and asked him if he'd accept it?  If you do, and he either says no or doesn't respond, you should go to your AMA VP and see if he's interested in doing his job.
AMA 64232

Offline jose modesto

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2011, 07:08:13 PM »
Tim the model is equal to a component kit that is legal as the BOM state. The assembled parts must be painted. the new wrinkle in the interpretation is hard fiberglass flying surface. REMEMBER SINCE I MAID THE MODEL IT'S LEGAL. only illegality is as a commercial product.
Note: i like to finish surface like windy
Sand fiberglass, a couple coats of clear, light silk span, fill silkspan grain then talc filler, silver, color, trim and final clear. there is a lot of work to finish basically a traditional paint job.
the wing used in the black carbon fiber model uses shells and ribs in a Hunt lost foam wing system.seephotos
fuselage comes in one piece then you cut it apart and insert formers engine crutch etc. and finish as above.
 This week  I will mold a wing without fiberglass exterior and see what i have if viable then this system will make all future molded flying surfaces legal. under the re interpretation of the AMA clarification of 2004 this should be allowed as the surfaces will have NO finish.
Photo #1 fuse and with wood crutch completed stab
photo#2 inside wing
Photo#3 inside surface of stab
photo #4shell fresh out of mold
Jose Modesto
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 07:31:54 PM by jose modesto »

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2011, 11:39:23 PM »

Hi Tim

No I am not slamming you or anyone else, I am not upset at anyone my only purpose is just trying to give as much accurate info as I can, and weed out some wrong info, and there is lots of that here.

On your point about grandfathered planes, that will not be done, I don;t even think the original plane is still being flown.

To your point I copied below
"""If you would please explain to me how someone can point fingers at prior years' Nats competitors, call their integrity into question, and have it not be taken personally by those involved, I'm all ears."""

You assumption is just flat wrong, Bill never pointed the finger at anyone and called them into question, Bill realizes that the flyers did nothing wrong, The flyers simply brought the planes and were allowed to fly, wrongly, but "nether the less" allowed to fly planes they didn't build and take AP points.  That was someone else's doing , Bill Rich is now  NATs  ED  and  has  to enforce the current rules as they are, It doesn;t matter that they were not applied correctly before, That was the decision Bill and the AMA officials have come to.  It does not any way shape form or fashion say that Bill is calling anyone any names, Its just a duty he is charged with and this was the way he is handling it. It is not personal , Bill has no grudge or beef with anyone. its just rule enforcement.

As I stated earlier maybe this will get the rule clarified , changed, or whatever??? we will see

Regards
Randy

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2011, 11:46:42 PM »
""Randy does this mean that the Shark fuse with the fiberglass outer surface is OK. So the prefinish is only for the flying surfaces wing and tail. Thanks for the clarification.
The objection to the fiberglass surfaces is only for the wings,flaps,stab and Elevator so the objection is not to the fiberglass finish but to were this finish is located. """

Hi Jose

What I said was wing, stab, flaps, elevators, vertical stab and rudder
Those are the flying surfaces that most people think of as "flying surfaces"  However  again They are NOT my rules and I am not AMA or any official capacity to decide
My opinion is if you bought out a plane like a Classic for example that you molded out of fiberglass, someone could take the plane, put it together in short order and fly it without adding any paint or finish, because it is already covered, and that would make it a  RTF, not a kit.

I am sure anyone that writes and Asked Bill any questions about what is and what is not ,he will be happy to answer.

Regards
Randy

Offline Steve Bakac

• Lieutenant
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2011, 01:44:15 AM »
G/Day guys,
                Just reading this post and thought to myself, OK take the people that love to fly and compete  but haven't the time to build their our planes.This is only my own opinion ONLY but what advantage is there to a flier if he buys a arf to a guy that builds his own? For example If I went out and brought a shark and didn't trim the plane to suit me and practice my butt off  then I'm not going to beat a guy that has built and trimmed his own plane and  practiced is butt off  .The point I'm trying to make is that at the end of the day it comes down to the guy on the handle and how well he is prepared and flys.Hope this makes sense and don't forget about having FUN that's whats its all about as well ,some people forget that sometimes.Good Luck to all that fly at the Nat's .

Regards Steve

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2011, 01:57:27 AM »
G/Day guys,
                Just reading this post and thought to myself, OK take the people that love to fly and compete  but haven't the time to build their our planes.This is only my own opinion ONLY but what advantage is there to a flier if he buys a arf to a guy that builds his own? For example If I went out and brought a shark and didn't trim the plane to suit me and practice my butt off  then I'm not going to beat a guy that has built and trimmed his own plane and  practiced is butt off  .The point I'm trying to make is that at the end of the day it comes down to the guy on the handle and how well he is prepared and flys.Hope this makes sense and don't forget about having FUN that's whats its all about as well ,some people forget that sometimes.Good Luck to all that fly at the Nat's .

I know you probably don't intend this, but this gets right back to the same old BOM argument. Under our rules, you have to build your own airplane and it gets judged for both appearance and for flight. We have confirmed time and again that this is what the majority would like to see. I (and I am sure Sparky and the mods) don't want this to flame up again.

Brett

Offline Steve Bakac

• Lieutenant
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2011, 02:57:59 AM »
G/Day Brett,
                 Sorry but no i didn't mean to open old wounds and do know about how things work over there, but i sit here and read these forums all the time but don't normal say anything and i know why now.Because people like myself not a know flier like youself cant have an opinion of thought.All you do is shoot people down and not once praise anybody its Brett's opinions that count.
Sorry but I'm not into people that think that they are better then everyone else because they won a Nat's.Shame winning goes to some peoples head.
     BYE
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 03:19:21 AM by aussiebucky »

Offline jose modesto

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2011, 05:54:55 AM »
Randy my defence is of my models not Yatzenko shark or classic RANDY THIS DECISSION HAS DECIMATED MY BUSINESS AS I SELL COMPOSITE SHELLS.
 This is being posted to add factual information and eliminate falsehoods
All flying surfaces come out of mold with fiberglass .5oz glass cloth they require full construction as shown
Wings panels: wings are built in a loss foam wing jig. Ribs,spars and controls installed and panels attached
Finishing: sanding of fiberglass,two coats of dope,light silkspan,talc or auto primer, clear as sealer,silver Lots of sanding,color, trim ,clear and polishing. Randy this is the same finishing that is required for any all wood model.
The component panels are not perfect out of mold many dryspots,cloth grain,lifting of glass cloth at tips ETC. all imperfections must be worked for a Nat's level finish.
 The hardest finish item is the seams of the shell system these can take real time to get filled and sanded for Nat's competition.

I find it strange that the fiberglass outer surface is now limited to what you describe as flying surfaces.
 under this rule a fiberglass surface can bu used on non flying surfaces. Fuse,wheel pants,landing gears. Randy Bills objection excludes these items is this right.
How does one comunicate directly with Bill

Photo #1 Internall wing construction Cant say that this is not BOM
Photo#2 wing shells
Jose Modesto

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2011, 06:04:27 AM »
Click on the PM(private message) icon under his ID.  D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2011, 08:02:47 AM »
*quote*
i sit here and read these forums all the time but don't normal say anything and i know why now.Because people like myself not a know flier like youself cant have an opinion of thought.All you do is shoot people down and not once praise anybody its Brett's opinions that count.
Sorry but I'm not into people that think that they are better then everyone else because they won a Nat's.Shame winning goes to some peoples head.

I gotta chime in here steve...... Brett doesnt shoot anyone down .. but DOES consistantly step up to the plate to offer well informed insight / Opinion.. and I also dont think he thinks he is better than everyone else because of one Nats Win.. I do however think he has a VERY solid head on his shoulders when others loose the plot and thread drift off on major tangents... Brett still see's the clear picture - much like many of the "Nats winners" PW, Ted, Dave.... Politics and self rightousness just dont figure into their Vocab, plain and simple.

If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here