News:

• March 28, 2024, 06:33:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Crock Pot questions  (Read 1188 times)

Offline Paul Pomposo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Crock Pot questions
« on: June 21, 2022, 08:31:33 PM »
I have questions in dept regarding crock pot for cleaning a castor caked engine. I'm trying to clean up an old OS 35 that needs it.

* Do I dip in the entire engine with all the guts inside attached? minus the teflon pads.

* When I remove the engine from the crock pot, do I rinse it off with soap and water? Oil would need to followed immediately. How does this process not cause it to rust?

* for other engines with anozied heads, can I crock pot this without destroying the color?

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Crock Pot questions
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2022, 08:50:27 PM »
I use a crock pot often.  Works great, sometimes requiring just a little brushing.

Typical for me is to pull the head, the backplate, the NVA, the liner, the piston/sleeve, then leave the pieces in the crock pot overnight.  I can say the green antifreeze is hard on blue LA paint.

Offline Paul Pomposo

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2022, 09:00:43 PM »
That makes sense to disassemble the parts and dip those separately. I will use coat hangers to connect the parts to the crock pot. Painted engines would be an issue.

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2022, 09:11:25 PM »

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2022, 05:04:40 AM »
The only time I've needed to take the engine apart is to clean the blackened castor off the pistons or ring grooves. Normally I just pull the backplate and glow plug. The blackened stuff may need some scrubbing to speed up the process. I use toothpicks, wood skewers and old tooth brushes where needed. What works for me is straight antifreeze without water and cook on low overnight...sometimes longer to get the burnt/black stuff off. I use all castor fuel and wait until the engines are really ugly before doing the crockpot. When I first started using the crockpot I rinsed the engines with glow fuel. Later I experimented with a junk Fox 40BB and let is sit out on the bench without rinsing...weeks. No rust or corrosion, even the bearings were ok. So I quit rinsing a long time ago. Some report their engines get discolored but it hasn't happened to me with dozens of engines. Also, antifreeze does zero cleaning if you don't have heat...tried that too.
Bill P.

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2022, 06:11:41 AM »
As far as the engine or engine part rusting, I rinse with running water, then blow it dry with an air compressor.  Finally, ten minutes in a toaster oven at 225, then air tool oil.

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2022, 07:09:07 AM »
My method for old & ebay engines: Get the antifreeze that is made for aluminum radiators & such, its a bit friendlier to the aluminum bits in the engine.

I like to tear engines down as far as I can get it then start the slow cooking process.  Often the top end, crank or bearings will be "glued in" with castor gunk and will resist disassembly.  After it cooks for a while the gunk will soften and release the parts.  With everything apart the final cleaning is almost trivial.  A toothbrush, Q-tips & various scrap rags will usually get into the nooks & crannies.

Wipe it all off, wash it, preferably in an ultrasonic cleaner with a little dishwasher soap in it.  Rinse/dry spray with lots of water displacer (you know, WD40) then reassemble with liberal amounts of after run oil.  Wipe the excess off the outside with your last clean rag.  Do a gentle re-break-in by fitting it with a plug & prop and flipping it endlessly while binge-watching reruns of the Andy Griffith show...

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2022, 07:29:03 AM »
The only time I've needed to take the engine apart is to clean the blackened castor off the pistons or ring grooves. Normally I just pull the backplate and glow plug. The blackened stuff may need some scrubbing to speed up the process. I use toothpicks, wood skewers and old tooth brushes where needed. What works for me is straight antifreeze without water and cook on low overnight...sometimes longer to get the burnt/black stuff off. I use all castor fuel and wait until the engines are really ugly before doing the crockpot. When I first started using the crockpot I rinsed the engines with glow fuel. Later I experimented with a junk Fox 40BB and let is sit out on the bench without rinsing...weeks. No rust or corrosion, even the bearings were ok. So I quit rinsing a long time ago. Some report their engines get discolored but it hasn't happened to me with dozens of engines. Also, antifreeze does zero cleaning if you don't have heat...tried that too.

Bill hit on some major points that some miss. When doing the crock pot thing, you want to use straight antifreeze with NO water. And only use the low heat setting on the pot. Antifreeze has rust inhibiters in it, so as long as you can drain most of it off and back into the pot, and good blast with an air gun, or wash down with any kind of safety solvent will clean it out of the engine if you are just doing plain bearing engines and such. I have taken engines and pulled anything plastic from them, did and over night soak in the crockpot, then drained it dry, blew it off, flushed out the crank case with a bit of fuel, the gave a short run on a test stand to clear it out , then mounted on a model. It just depends one what work you want and need to do on the engine. If the engine has bearings, they will be clean enough for you to get a good feel for their condition by rotating the crank by hand and if you need to replace the bearings, you are already half way there. I don't wash anything in water, even if I am doing a full tear down, just isn't needed.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

PS to add; Almost all antifreeze/coolant sold today is safe for aluminum. Most engines these days have aluminum heads or aluminum tanks and cores in the radiators and heating coils. Now, if you grab a jug that has been on the shelf in back of Grandpa's garage or shed, read the labels carefully!! You are on your own as far as that is concerned. And a crock pot full of straight antifreeze will probably last you a life time. AND ALWAYS DO THE PROCESS OUTDOORS!!  Glycol fumes are pretty nasty!!
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2022, 07:52:09 AM »
And most of all remember to mark the crock pot so the you or the wife doesn't use it to make your favorite beef stew.  Also keep away from pets. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dave Harmon

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • Tulsa Glue Dobbers C/L and R/C Clubs
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2022, 07:54:58 AM »
Everything Dan said except I rinse the parts with water to get the antifreeze out.
Then oil the parts with some synthetic oil....I like Castrol 00 weight straight synth motor oil available at Wal Mart.....it is much like the oil we use in glow engines. I use it for after run oil too.
The really important thing to do is....insure that all parts of the engine are immersed in the green antifreeze and never allow it to boil or the aluminum will darken.
Otherwise....the crock pot works great.
I tried a sonic cleaner and somehow the aluminum is darkened/streaked on a NIB engine.
I don't do that anymore!

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2022, 08:12:17 AM »
  Do a gentle re-break-in by fitting it with a plug & prop and flipping it endlessly while binge-watching reruns of the Andy Griffith show...

+1

Motorman 8)

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2022, 09:29:29 AM »
Hi Paul; Nobody mentioned ACETONE. I take the parts out of my rock pot (filled with 50/50 antifreeze and water) and dunk them (hot) right into a container of acetone.

Then when cooled I take an acid brush (cut down to 1/4" or so for stiffness) and clean off any/all of the gunk.

Reassemble with lots of after run oil and you're good to go.

Jerry

PS: Anti freeze gets very dirty and should be renewed........ You'll know when!

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2022, 10:11:11 AM »
Hi Paul; Nobody mentioned ACETONE. I take the parts out of my rock pot (filled with 50/50 antifreeze and water) and dunk them (hot) right into a container of acetone.

Then when cooled I take an acid brush (cut down to 1/4" or so for stiffness) and clean off any/all of the gunk.

Reassemble with lots of after run oil and you're good to go.

Jerry

PS: Anti freeze gets very dirty and should be renewed........ You'll know when!

Take the water out of your mixture, there is no need for it. Water is added to antifreeze/coolant so that it will get to the proper temperature levels for freeze protection and boil over protection, it's blended that way . Straight anitfreeze  will not protect your car better that a 50/50 mix with water. The same for boil over, it's blended that way for mixing with water. You can buy it in a 50/50 mix, but that is just for convenience.  But for the purpose of cleaning our engines, using it straight works best and I think actually protects the steel parts a bit. I have done the same experiment as Dave Harmon has using parts engines and such. Crockpot them, blow them off, get what I wanted off of them then just let the engine sit, and no visible change of really long periods of time just sitting in a box or on the shelf. I have never felt the need to change it either as most of the you are cleaning off the engine gets removed out side the pot. I leave mine in my small shed where there is a 110VAC outlet. i keep the lid on when not in use so no bugs or critters crawl in there. But there is absolutely no need to have any water in the mix.

Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Paul Pomposo

• Ensign
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2022, 10:15:49 AM »
Hi Jerry. Wouldn’t the stuff acid brush scratch the metal? I was also wondering if the crock pot method would jeopardize the color on the anodized parts. I have a fox 35 with the blue majic head. I don’t want to scratch it or lose the color.

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2022, 10:49:16 AM »
If a crock pot isn’t available, I’ve found that an old coffee maker works for the overnight soak. For the unit I had on hand, I sliced off the upper bits and just used the heater base and switch assembly.

Dave Mo…
It’s a very strange world we live in, Master Jack.” (4 Jacks and a Jill)

Offline Paul Pomposo

• Ensign
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2022, 12:01:38 PM »
There are crock pots on the bay for $20. Can’t beat that. Just keep it away from the nacho cheese. LL~

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2022, 03:14:04 PM »
I suppose a crock pot is convenient but I had on hand a cheapie sauce pot and hot plate.  Set on low, it works well, but do it outside.  As was mentioned, the fumes are hard to take, even with a lid on the pot.

Also, the type of anti-freeze might make a difference.  I have always used the greenish Prestone, or similar.   I have never used the less toxic blends so I do not know if they work as well.

Offline John Carrodus

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2022, 03:36:24 PM »
I know we are discussing motors whose horse has already bolted. For what it's worth, if you want pristine clean engines, when fun time has finished spray with degreaser then a whisp of WD 40, then always after run oil when using caster - which I do in a 60/40 blend to keep engines well lubed AND clean inside. I have seen crudded motors die young from overheating.

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2022, 06:48:10 PM »
Hi Jerry. Wouldn’t the stuff acid brush scratch the metal? I was also wondering if the crock pot method would jeopardize the color on the anodized parts. I have a fox 35 with the blue majic head. I don’t want to scratch it or lose the color.

Hi Paul, No, the acid brush is made of some kind of fibers. I like about 3/8" actually. Start longer and shorten it if it isn't stiff enough.

As for removing paint: OS blue comes off pretty good, but you have to have/make a tool to get into the small areas. I use a bamboo skewer cut flat on one end (to get into the head fins) and almost pointed on the other. (to get into those really small areas)

Dan; I soak my engines (the ones to be cleaned only) anywhere from two (2) hours, for the easy stuff to over night for the stubborn gunk. Haven't had a rust problem yet!  %^@

Jerry

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2022, 06:49:31 PM »
There are crock pots on the bay for $20. Can’t beat that. Just keep it away from the nacho cheese. LL~

Paul, Go to the goodwill. They have used ones cheap! That's where i got mine. ($10)

Jerry

PS: OBTW, the acid brush with acetone also works on the "light" crud.

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2022, 09:27:06 PM »
Paul, Go to the goodwill. They have used ones cheap! That's where i got mine. ($10)

Jerry

PS: OBTW, the acid brush with acetone also works on the "light" crud.

+1

Also try garage sales
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Dave Harmon

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • Tulsa Glue Dobbers C/L and R/C Clubs
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2022, 09:57:43 PM »
I leave the engine parts in green antifreeze for 24 hours at least to be sure all that stuff is gone....no scrubbing, brushing or chopsticks required.

Offline Robert Whitley

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2022, 10:13:19 PM »
A very good alternative to a crock pot is a deep fryer. I didn’t have a crock pot but I did have a deep fryer we never used. One advantage is the basket in these units. You don’t have to fish the parts out from the pot just lift the basket out and retrieve your parts.

I agree with Dennis on his processes.

I have also had very good results with putting the parts in a zip-lock bag filled with your favourite solution and set that in a heated ultrasonic cleaner filled with water. This is quicker and uses less solution than a crock pot or deep fryer.

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2022, 10:22:23 PM »

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2022, 11:35:35 PM »

Myself, I do not use the coat hanger, as fishing for the parts with long nosed pliers works for me.

Hemostats work fine.

I found a wire basket with folding handles that looks like it is made from stainless steel wire at Hobby Lobby that fits nicely in my crock pot to hold the parts during their cleansing.

I had earlier found another wire basket from Hobby Lobby that had some sort of coating on the wire.  Did not work so well as the coating was taken off by the heated anti freeze.  Sort of made a mess of everything.

Keith

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2022, 06:10:19 AM »
Additional info...I've cooked plastic rc carb arms (RJL k61), perry carbs and mccoy wrist pin buttons without issues. It's never removed the blue/black on thrust washers, prop nuts, needle valves, McCoy RH cylinders or whatever coating is on Fox hemi stuffer backplates  McCoy painted heads have survived short cooks but not overnight cooks. Never tried Torpedo green heads or OS blue. The hard blackend castor on piston skirts can cook for two days and not come off without help. 
Bill P.

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2022, 07:23:28 AM »
How does crock potting an old Fox 35 or McCoy affect its performance? I thought the varnish coating on the sleeve from burned castor aided in its protection and compression??

Steve

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2022, 11:33:35 AM »
Getting the liner cleaned of baked on castor helped the liner go in the case easier and the old Fox in my Nobler ran great and helped me win in Fargo the one time I was there.   In fact crock potting has helped a lot of my engine I put in it.   Just remember to oil them real good after wiping them dry. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here