News:

• May 03, 2024, 11:42:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Prop washer and prop nuts - Source?  (Read 1437 times)

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
Prop washer and prop nuts - Source?
« on: June 30, 2017, 08:37:55 PM »
I need a few washers and nuts for my LA 46s.
No biggie just order from tower right?

3 nuts and 3 washers. $22.74 !!!
Are you kidding me???

Anyone have a better source?

Thanks
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Prop washer and prop nuts - Source?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 08:49:59 PM »
   The nuts are 1/4-28 thread and can be found at hardware stores and auto parts stores. You may have to fish around for a washer that fits close to the shaft like an OEM prop washer does. Find something that is tight and drill it out. You may try Fastenall stores and see what they have for close fitting ID washers.
    Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 09:46:53 PM »
I threw a prop nut a couple of weeks ago and had to borrow a replacement from someone at the field.  After flying, I went straight to Ace Hardware and bought four extra SS nuts for 45 cents each and four washers for something less.

Mark

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 11:09:07 PM »
Prop nuts are easy to come by. Hardened prop washers are much harder to come by.

Offline Jim Nohsey

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 04:51:41 AM »
Hey Paul. I'll look tonight. I did have some extra prop washers at one time.

JIm
Jim Nohsey

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 07:34:04 AM »
           You can also source a non serrated flange nut in that size and forego the washer. I do this so that I don't lose the washer in the grass.

Offline ericrule

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2017, 09:57:58 AM »
nuts are 1/4-28 (OS uses a metric crankshaft and then cut the 1/4-28 threads in the front). Any grade 8 1/4-28 nut will work on them.
Use a USS grade 8 flat washer as it has a bigger diameter than the SAE ones and will work better to clamp the prop. the 1/4" USS flat washers can be obtained from www.boltandnut.com  they show them for on line order at $.07 each.

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 01:09:30 PM »
The prop nuts less than grade 8 are usable because any wear will be in the nut and not in the crank threads and are easily replaced. The washers are another story. Most hardened washers are too small to use with wood props, they won't spread the load. So called OD washers are dead soft and deform easily. Proper washers are hard to come by.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2017, 01:21:18 PM »
My Standard Operating Procedure has been to chuck out the stock OS prop nut immediately, because the hex is made for French wrenches. To have a piece of hardware that uses both French and SAE systems makes no sense & should be illegal. I got some Gr.8 1/4-28 nuts at the LHS (Local Hardware Store) to keep in stock.

I haven't got a great solution for the washer, but would consider looking at McMaster-Carr or even MECOA. Might also check Dave Brown and Tru-Turn websites.  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2017, 02:35:28 PM »
I just checked McMaster & found nothing useful -- the only extra-thick washers had 0.281" holes.

A 5/32" to 3/16" thick washer made from 6061-T6 works great -- basically, make it a bit thicker than the stock steel washer so it won't deform under pressure, with a hole that just barely clears the threads.  You can make buttloads if you're not afraid of using a cutoff tool.  But, it's absolutely not worth the lathe time unless you enjoy that sort of thing.

Oh -- any old grade 8 1/4-28 nut should work, but I would hesitate to use a grade 5 nut.  A grade 8 SAE washer may work OK -- anyone want to try?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2017, 03:22:02 PM »
Oh -- any old grade 8 1/4-28 nut should work, but I would hesitate to use a grade 5 nut.  A grade 8 SAE washer may work OK -- anyone want to try?

I managed a few thousand flights with an ungraded 1/4-28 nut I got from a central Kentucky hardware store.

I am not sure why anyone is so worried about this. We used to hold the entire engines on with dead soft 4-40 slotted screws from the "Perfect" rack and you could easily bend those with your fingers.  I know people whose names you would recognize that used round-head #4 *wood screws* to hold the engine, and others who did (and probably still do) thread 4-40 screws directly into the motor mount with no nut, no nut plate, nothing, just screw it into the wood.

None of that is recommended but being scared of a hardened steel Grade 5 nut seems a little much by comparison.

Brett

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2017, 09:10:34 AM »
I rely on the hardware from ACE Hardware as I have in the past stripped a prop nut on a couple of engines.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2017, 09:57:44 AM »
I prefer to have the extra safety margin good hardware can give me.
MM   

Yup.  And with a grade-8 nut costing an extra $0.10 or so at the feed store, you can puff off your high-dollar habits, too.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here