News:

• April 24, 2024, 05:21:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: BH-749 Control Horns  (Read 2154 times)

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
BH-749 Control Horns
« on: June 28, 2017, 04:35:25 AM »
Hello,
I bought eight BH-749 control horns directly from Brodak.
The quality of connections between 1/8" wire and the horn "plates" is rather poor, these "connections" are porous and sort of "blobby".
There are blobs here and there with too much or too little connecting material and, in general, the connections do not look solid and strong enough.

The horn plates are slightly bent, the bushings a bit crooked....Messy job.

What process is used to connect the 1/8" wire with the horn plates?
Is this brazing with silver solder?

I contacted Brodak and I am waiting for their response.

When such brazing is done correctly using a very simple fixture, the connection is smooth and has a regular, donut like, shape, with connecting material filling only the space around 1/8" wire. I have such horns bought many years ago with the Intrepid XL kit and the quality is much better.

I will be grateful for comments,

Thank you,
Matt

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: BH-749 Control Horns
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 07:59:56 AM »
    You have described the way they should look very well, and if I were you I would definitely return them for replacement. If the horn has a washer or some sort of re-enforcement on each side to increase the effective joint area, it should still look like you described.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 09:12:39 AM »
Whenever you have an issue or question, call John Brodak directly - he will make it right.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 11:33:56 AM »
Hello,
I bought eight BH-749 control horns directly from Brodak.
The quality of connections between 1/8" wire and the horn "plates" is rather poor, these "connections" are porous and sort of "blobby".
There are blobs here and there with too much or too little connecting material and, in general, the connections do not look solid and strong enough.

The horn plates are slightly bent, the bushings a bit crooked....Messy job.

What process is used to connect the 1/8" wire with the horn plates?
Is this brazing with silver solder?

I don't know if it is silver soldered. If it is as described and silver soldered, doesn't sound too good. However, back in the good old days, the were spot-welded, and while those usually looked pretty sketchy, and they proved to be perfectly adequate. In fact, some of them didn't even have the cross-bar go through the upright, they were just spot welded to a flat on the side.

Brett

Offline Tony Drago

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 12:02:31 PM »
Whenever you have an issue or question, call John Brodak directly - he will make it right.
Always call Brodaks first. They have a no B.S. return policy. They will make it right.....

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 04:32:32 AM »
Hello,
I have contacted Brodak and was rather disappointed.
Yes...they can refund the money and the shipping from Toronto, Canada to Brodak will be free but I still need good horns and they are unwilling to help.
The guy who responded to my latest e-mail wrote "I do not want to be involved in this...", previously stating that "Those control horns were made years ago here at our facility by a guy who has since passed away. At the time he made them, he produced 1,000 of each size.  If I would try to replace them, you will end up with the same thing. ". I am keeping the name of this Brodak's employee confidential at this moment because he is probably just "doing his job the best he can".

Hmmm....not exactly what can be expected from the place supporting the C/L enthusiasts for years.

I will try to fix five of the eight horns I purchased the best I can and will return three that are abysmal for refund.

Thanks you,
Matt

"Learning never stops and when it stops this means you are dead"

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 10:11:02 AM »
Over the years I've learned that I'm a picky enough bastard that (A) I just do the work myself on things like that, and (B) I don't criticize folks like Brodak.  I have posted information about imperfections that I've seen (along with their excellent customer service), but I don't blame them, because I know that they're catering to a less-picky crowd.

I just make my own horns, because if you know how to solder it's easy, and because then I can make whatever oddball custom hinks and kinks I feel are necessary in the arms.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here