News:

• April 19, 2024, 07:24:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: bench top drill press  (Read 2130 times)

Offline Ed Carlaw

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
bench top drill press
« on: May 22, 2021, 10:23:49 AM »
Need some advice and suggestions on a bench top drill press. I have a Central Machinery one that has seen better days. Thanks, Ed.

Offline Steve Berry

• Captain
Re: bench top drill press
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2021, 11:31:29 AM »
This one, while not the best, should be sufficient for most of our modeling needs.

https://www.harborfreight.com/8-in-5-speed-bench-drill-press-60238.html

Steve

Offline Steve Berry

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2021, 11:33:07 AM »

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2021, 11:50:46 AM »
I have used my Dremel Drill press for years and found for modeling, it does about everything I want it to.

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2021, 12:24:33 PM »
The big problem with cheep drill press is spindle run-out.  I bought a cheep one at a traveling tool show.  The first one I took home was so bad I took it back and swapped it out for second one.  Second one has some run-out but is useable. If I ever decided to replace it I would spend a little more in hopes it would have less spindle run-out.  I would look at one like:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/WEN-2-3-Amp-8-in-5-Speed-Benchtop-Drill-Press-4208T/316322510

It should be better than Harbor Freight.  But who knows till you try it.   n~
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Ed Carlaw

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2021, 01:00:06 PM »
It's kind of ironic both the Harbor Freight and Northern are mirror images of what I have. Thanks for all of the advice. I will check into all of your suggestions. Ed.

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2021, 04:12:52 PM »
Just a tip when selecting a drill press:  Crank the quill all the way down and try and shake it.  If is moves, go on to the next one. The bore in the headstock casting is a bit sloppy.  If you are lucky, you might find one with a pinch bolt near the bottom of the casting that you can snug the bore up a bit as needed./
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline KenP51

• Commander
  • K Pitts
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2021, 05:02:11 PM »
You can’t go wrong with Aciera. Just remember to clean or replace the bearings every 70 years. 🙃 L
That's funny
I had to replace the motor bearings in my old Sears benchtop drill press 2 years ago. Got it in the mid 80's. So it's only half as good as yours since I only got about 35 years

Ken
But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord

Offline Dave Harmon

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • Tulsa Glue Dobbers C/L and R/C Clubs
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2021, 10:40:34 AM »
Chuck size is also another consideration.
Some chucks will not close completely preventing use of small diameter drill bits.
Usually chucks are replaceable so I would get the unit that will accept the largest drill while still completely closing.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2021, 04:15:31 PM »
Mine is a Ryobi 10" DP-100 and it's been satisfactory. Came from Home Depot, I believe, for about $100. No complaints, but I kinda wish I'd gotten a floor model. Probably 12-13 years old. Buying a full set of drills is important, meaning fractional up to 1/2" plus Letter and Number drills.   y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2021, 09:49:26 PM »
Mine is a Ryobi 10" DP-100 and it's been satisfactory. Came from Home Depot, I believe, for about $100. No complaints, but I kinda wish I'd gotten a floor model. Probably 12-13 years old. Buying a full set of drills is important, meaning fractional up to 1/2" plus Letter and Number drills.   y1 Steve
I have the same drill press, and I couldn’t agree with you more about the importance of all three sets of drill bits.

Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2021, 11:24:16 AM »
I've had one of these for about 30 years, no problems.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-14-heavy-duty-benchtop-drill-press/g7943

Motorman 8)
I have the WEN version of this.  Yours look better.  This design must be the generic base for a bunch of them.  I bought a cheap mill vice for mine but I am not pleased with it.  Hard to find a cheap mill that actually works.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2021, 12:28:29 PM »
   On the cheaper table top or bench drill presses, if the spindle runs out a lot, knock the chuck off and clean everything really well. lap the check to the tapered end of the shaft for as good a fit as possible and so it seats square. Take the chuck apart and clean and oil it with a decent machine oil. I think you will find that everything works better. Not perfect but better. All this Chinese stuff has to survive being on a ship at sea for a long time, so they use stickier, more crude types of lubricants and such as antirust agents, like the old stuff they used to paint on machines that had to be cleaned off before use, cosmoline?? ( Spell check doesn't know how to spell it correctly either!! ))
  Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2021, 04:31:39 PM »
A mill vise like an X-Y feed? My dad had one of those that looked like it was made for wood working. Crude, I don't know if he ever used it. Of course if you try to mill with a drill press be ready for the chuck to come flying off.

Motorman 8)
I have milled plenty with a drill press.  You just have to take it slow and use mills, not drills.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2021, 09:25:17 AM »
   Look on Craig’s list for older high quality wood working machines.  They are out there!

Good luck,

Frank

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2021, 01:22:33 PM »
Look in the classifieds for an old Sears Craftsman with the green finish. (vintage 1965)

It doesn't have lots of features, but it is a basic, sturdy, very good drill press.

If it has all the parts, good bearings, and no damage take it.
phil Cartier

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2021, 01:33:45 PM »
   On the cheaper table top or bench drill presses, if the spindle runs out a lot, knock the chuck off and clean everything really well. lap the check to the tapered end of the shaft for as good a fit as possible and so it seats square. Take the chuck apart and clean and oil it with a decent machine oil. I think you will find that everything works better. Not perfect but better. All this Chinese stuff has to survive being on a ship at sea for a long time, so they use stickier, more crude types of lubricants and such as antirust agents, like the old stuff they used to paint on machines that had to be cleaned off before use, cosmoline?? ( Spell check doesn't know how to spell it correctly either!! ))
  Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee

fish oil fork tube oil
rad racer

Offline Dave Harmon

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • Tulsa Glue Dobbers C/L and R/C Clubs
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2021, 10:34:55 PM »
Look in the classifieds for an old Sears Craftsman with the green finish. (vintage 1965)

It doesn't have lots of features, but it is a basic, sturdy, very good drill press.

If it has all the parts, good bearings, and no damage take it.

You're right Phil.
I have a floor model of the Sears drill press and it is solid as a rock.
I wish it had a larger table but it works well for what we do.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here