News:

• April 19, 2024, 06:24:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bellcrank / pushrod  (Read 992 times)

Online Gary Dowler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Bellcrank / pushrod
« on: September 23, 2018, 01:09:02 AM »
Ok, I'll try my best to describe this. Had to fix the pushrod connection to the bellcrank on an old plane. It's in my Cosmic Wind. Pushrod had become disconnected, and I don't know how it was originally attached.   It appeared to be an easy fix, but has had a twist.  The pushrod comes in under the bellcrank, makes a normal 90deg bend upward through the hole.
The problem is that when I attached the pushrod, the right side of the bellcrank hits the pushrod about half the time.
I need to do something to maintain a small gap between the horizontal pushrod and the bottom of the  bellcrank to provide clearance for the bellcrank to go over it.   Is there a clip of some sort that can do this? It's a short 2" bellcrank, but the plane flies actually quite well with it. I can change it but this means changing out the leadouts as well, and I'd rather avoid it if I can.

Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline Cody bishop

• Commander
Re: Bellcrank / pushrod
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 05:43:20 AM »
I’m assuming that the 90 is bent so the end of the rod faces up I would suggest putting a very slight bend down bend in the pushrod so you have enough clearance. If the end of the rod faces down make it a up bend.

Online Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 12:12:20 PM »
Can you put another washer under the bellcrank?
While typing a response to you it suddenly hit me!  I was thinking I'd have to solder a washer on the rod below the BC as suggested, then use a wheel lock collar on top because if I solder another washer on there, it's likely to loosen the bottom one.
What about using the lock collar below the BC, even if I have to grind it a little thinner. It won't go around the 90 at the bottom well anyway and should stay in placecwell. Then solder a washer at the top to secure the BC.

GARY
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 02:52:30 PM »
I think that normally the L bend is secured just by the platform that the bellcrank mounts to. Making a 20 or 30* bend after the swing of the bellcrank to exit the top wingskin.

I was thinking wheel collar also, but because of the thickness, you might instead use a skinny nut? Even a plywood or a piece of printed circuit board would work, or a short piece of brass tube with a washer pre-soldered to that on top.
Or solder on the first washer at the 90*, add a couple or three more on top of that and then insert into the bellcrank?

R,
Target
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here